Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I am not 'bothered by the somewhat harsh ride. It is a sport hatch.
The question is: can I have the fantastic handling AND a reasonable ride?

As is, i bought the car in November. So the car is new, and never seen a temp over 40F since buying.

The ride is harsh. More like a typical car with lowered springs.. that kind of somewhat choppy ride you get with stiff lowered springs.

Is there a solution like different shocks?
I mainly want the exact same handling. just a trace of relief on rough pavement. (even more so, on the stuff that make the car bounce endlessly..?

Or is it really the weather? and i can expect it to be a lot better once the temps go up.. and I have some miles on the ST?

The demo I had in September was not like this.. (I ordered the car and it took 10 weeks)

·
Registered
198 Posts
The ST usually isn't harsh, a little stiff at times but not harsh. Check your tire pressure. The factory sometimes over-inflates tires to prevent flat spotting, and the dealer is supposed to check it during the inspection process.

Edit: FoST's should be set to 36 PSI cold.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The ST is the smoothest riding car with the level of handling it has of any car I have driven. It is nearly as good as our 12 Focus SEL.

The only explanation I can think of for what you are experiencing is you are still driving on the stock tires. The F1 summer tires that come stock on the ST get extremely hard in the cold weather, a lot of people refer to them as hockey pucks. The hardening of the rubber compound also severely degrades the traction the tires produce and this is why Ford and Goodyear do not recommend these tires be used in temps below 40F.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No I am using Winter tires.. Bridgestone Blizzak 235/40/18 on Ford Racing ST black painted wheels.
They are now at 37psi front, and 36 rear at 65F (in my many space/heated garage it stay about 68F all Winter. even with the current 2 degree F temp outdoors.) Front I want to keep up so in the cold they stay closer to recommended temps.

I confess i thought the stock pressure was 39psi. And when I got the car the tires were at 40psi.. And left them at 39psi thinking that was the right psi. Anyway the door sticker does say 36 psi.

With the temps out and my checking indoors, the 39psi at 65Fis about fine for 30F or below outdoors.
I raised the psi to 41 of late since it is zero F out. The psi drops about 1lb per ten degree F drop...
And really the slight difference in pressure is not enough to change the ride..

On my 2012 SE if the rear were higher than about 40psi the ride was a little more choppy. And that with the stocl psi at 35. The fronts on the ST could be at 43psi and still ride fine,

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had an 05 Vibe that I lowered with Tein S-techs paired with a set of Tokico struts and it handled like a dream but if you ran over a nickel you would feel it... much more so in colder weather... but with the colder weather also comes rebar heave... especially on bridges... I live in the midwest and our bridges become so heaved even cars not lowered or sport tuned will bounce really bad. My ST does the same... just not as bad as the VIbe... and as others have mentioned... check your tire pressure... mine were maxed out at 44 or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts