Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so having a good stereo system is a must for me. I think I've always had some sort of amp/subwoofer in my trunk for as long as I can remember. Not that I enjoy cranking loud music but I found that having a good sound system with decent bass is key to me. My current vehicle you could not hear the radio with the windows down or the moonroof open on the highway.

So I've looked a bit at the Sony HD radio system available in the upper packages. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge on this sound system? I've seen in some walkthrough videos of a titanium focus hatchback there is a subwoofer in the trunk but I am not sure of the other 9 speakers in what I believe to be the "10 speaker setup". I'd be curious to find out how well the system sounds. I was at a dealership checking out a regular focus size/interior and forgot to check into that sound system.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
A friend of mine has a Fusion Sport, and the sound system is "better" quality. It is not a Bose system, but it sounds alright. But my experience is a little skewed since I've sad in his car twice only.

Your Best bet is to get into that Titanium and try that sound out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does anyone know if the MFT/Sony audio system happen to have pre-outs available to add an additional amp?

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Not to knock Sony, but their crap is cheap compared to what I have had experience with in the Home Automation industry. The system will be better than your stock system in say your Focus SE or Fiesta SEL. You can count on that. I am sure it is a "better" set of speakers. :thumb:

**Audio wise, no way am I saying all Sony electronics are cheap.. **

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I have the premium sound system in my 2012 Titanium. For a stock unit, it has good sound. It's plenty loud and clear but did take some adjustment to the trebel bass and midrange to get it to sound better in the car. I generally tweak the bass a bit but leave all elese alone. This needed a bit more adjustment.

I previously owned a Fusion with the premium sound system and it was much better than the one in the Focus.

Reactions: Chad

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My current forester has 2 amps. 1 amp about 300w to power the 4 door speakers that I upgraded, and another about 200wat-ish amp to power a 10inch subwoofer in the rear. It sounds really nice. I'm not a bass head or someone who cranks a stereo so everyone a 1/2 block away can hear but I do care about having good sound. My fear is that I am going to be unhappy with the sony system and I think I would like to try sticking with the base Sony/MFT system. I don't know if there would be a way to upgrade the sound system beyond there (IE no pre-outs on the headunit). I'd have to look but maybe the 300w amp I have will take speaker line inputs but for some reason I doubt.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I found what could be a discrepancy in the Sirius trail period stated by Ford. In the ST configurator, choose an ST3, then look at the details page for the Interior.

First look at the details for "SIRIUS Satellite Radio with HD Radio", which includes this statement:

"Enjoy an introductory six-month subscription to more than 130 channels..."

Now look at the details for "SYNC wtih Navigation System", which includes this statement:

"And now, SYNC adds Traffic, Directions and Info. Get real-time traffic updates, turn-by-turn navigation and business search right through your vehicle's stereo. Plus, hear your favorite content anytime you want with personalized news, weather and sports. Access it all with either touch or voice commands. +"

Near the bottom of the page, the "cross/plus sign" states this:

"+ Complimentary three-year subscription for owners of new vehicles equipped with the service. Subscription fees apply after three years."

Does Sirius charge separately for Traffic and Radio? If they do, this seems to indicate the ST includes 6-months of Radio and 3-years of Traffic. If Sirius does not charge separately for Traffic and Radio, then there may be a contradiction in what Ford states is included.

Can someone familiar with Sirius clarify this issue?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The sound system is a must for me as well. I have never been one to buy and install aftermarket sound equip., rather opting for stock components. My old Lancer had an Infinity sound system and I thought it was awesome. Plenty loud and sounded great IMO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I found what could be a discrepancy in the Sirius trail period stated by Ford. In the ST configurator, choose an ST3, then look at the details page for the Interior.

First look at the details for "SIRIUS Satellite Radio with HD Radio", which includes this statement:

"Enjoy an introductory six-month subscription to more than 130 channels..."

Now look at the details for "SYNC wtih Navigation System", which includes this statement:

"And now, SYNC adds Traffic, Directions and Info. Get real-time traffic updates, turn-by-turn navigation and business search right through your vehicle's stereo. Plus, hear your favorite content anytime you want with personalized news, weather and sports. Access it all with either touch or voice commands. +"

Near the bottom of the page, the "cross/plus sign" states this:

"+ Complimentary three-year subscription for owners of new vehicles equipped with the service. Subscription fees apply after three years."

Does Sirius charge separately for Traffic and Radio? If they do, this seems to indicate the ST includes 6-months of Radio and 3-years of Traffic. If Sirius does not charge separately for Traffic and Radio, then there may be a contradiction in what Ford states is included.

Can someone familiar with Sirius clarify this issue?
The news and traffic is a service provided by Ford, not Sirius.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The news and traffic is a service provided by Ford, not Sirius.
Ah, thanks for that clarification. It was confusing that Ford would provide this as a separate service when they already include Sirius in this head unit. Perhaps the Ford traffic service is better than the Sirius traffic service? At the very least, they give it to you for 3 years instead of just 6 months. Can someone confirm that you can use the nav/traffic functions in this Sony HD/Sirius/Nav head unit standalone (without connecting a smartphone)?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tested out the Sony HD system in a regular Focus Titanium today and a number of my concerns were resolved. The sound quality on the radio is decent, not as good as my custom system but turning up the settings on the radio vastly improved the sound quality. It was loud and you could feel a bit of bass .... I cranked a foo fighters song on the radio and it sounded decent. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is I think I had the radio cranked up to the max and I thought it should go louder. But then the maximum volume might have been set 'below' max as a MyKey setting for a car on the lot. I may eventually do some upgrades to the sound system but I'm no longer concerned about having to deck out the whole audio system like I had to on my Forester to make it acceptable.

I also like the sync / voice nav. I thought it worked pretty slick. I was able to voice search and have it navigate to the dealership based on their name as a POI. It was not connected to my phone and I was able to just hit the Voice button, say "navigation, Point of interest (I think), dealership name" and it put up the route. I thought that was pretty slick and it understood me just fine. I hope this is a setting that can be changed: the navigation only warned me about an upcoming turn in ".1 miles", seemed a bit short of notice but then I wasn't driving that fast on city streets. Also kind of a useful chime right when you should be making such turn. At least in its test run it exceeded my expectations.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks to be fairly easy to upgrade the staccesible if its like the titanium. The amp is easily accessible in the trunk and it looks easy to swap out the stock speakers. Check out this thread.

Sound System Install - Focus Fanatics
thanks for the link! I searched around that site and couldn't find much info. Turns out I was looking in the wrong forum.

I may indeed do some aftermarket upgrades. The thing to get is an Audio Control LCX module. I will have 2 amps including a 4channel that would work nicely to boost the power to the door speakers. I have also read from multiple sources that it improves sound quality a lot if you go in and disconnect the center speaker on the dashboard. I will definitely be giving that a try.

·
Registered
549 Posts
How many stereo's? Different ones for ST1, ST2, ST3? Or is it the same in ST1 & ST2. What are the differences in number of speakers and wattage etc? I swore I saw this on here somewhere but cannot find anywhere.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I think they are the same for ST2 & ST3 which would be a 10 speaker system. On the dealer info sheet it does say, 10 speaker SONY system which is exactly what I have in my Titanium.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I covered this in another forum, hopefully, this helps
Dealer made some calls for me and confirmed it, and we were able to verify it in their system.

ST1= SYNC, (not MFT) Standard base stereo like on an S or SE.
ST2= MFT + Sony 10 speaker sound
ST2 + Navi = MFT + Sony + Navi activated
ST3= MFT +Sony + Navi __________________

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think they are the same for ST2 & ST3 which would be a 10 speaker system. On the dealer info sheet it does say, 10 speaker SONY system which is exactly what I have in my Titanium.
ST1 has the stock 6 speaker system 110 watts
ST2 & ST3 have the Sony 10 speaker (9 +1 sub) 355 watts

Its on the original spec sheet and probably on the configurator

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just wonder where they are going to put that center channel speaker (which is pretty bad on the titanium btw) now that the instrument cluster is taking up it's real estate

1 - 20 of 38 Posts