Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put spacers on their cars? I want to put them on for a more aggressive look. Anyone have any info on what size to use or if they had to roll their fenders?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have had 10mm spacers on a car that I tracked...and currently run 1.25" spacers on my jeep. I've never had a single issue.

According to Garageline you can run 25mm rears and 20mm fronts with stock wheels/tires, no problem. If you go more than that you will have clearance issues at stock camber settings.

From my non-expert view...you aren't going to get a lot of extra room from simply rolling your fenders because they're factory flat. There is a little room for improvement but camber or a pull would be necessary to really push the limits of offsets

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just put the Garageline spacers (15mm-front and 20mm rear) on my ST. I have tracked with spacers in the past without problems (hub centric will pass tech), but suggest they should be 25mm (1") or less. Definitly improve the look of the car, makes wheels/tire look flush with the body. Went on without any modifications required. Like em, car drives just fine. These spacers will allow for some wider tires when the current ones wear out. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have H&R Spacers on mine. I ran with 20mm front 25mm rear. It's really aggressive looking! If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with 20mm all around.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Do spacers improve the handling or steering? Or are they mainly an aesthetic choice?
Yes, they can affect performance by modifying the suspension geometry slightly that changes as the car travels through a turn. For example -- a wider stance will reduce the effectiveness of the front/rear sway bar slightly since the lever arm from it to the tire is longer, resulting in more body roll and causing a bit more tilting of the tires in the turns, which -may (or may not, depending on other suspension settings)- reduce grip when the car is pushed to the edge. In most cases though unless you are on a track it should not make much of a difference in handling, but you may see different tire wear patterns with and without spacers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the Garageline 20mm spacers that were supposed to go on this weekend, but got too busy with other stuff. I have H&R springs I am doing at the same time, hence the time constraints. After seeing everyone's pics that have the H&R springs + spacers, I am getting pretty anxious to get my stuff on!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have H&R Spacers on mine. I ran with 20mm front 25mm rear. It's really aggressive looking! If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with 20mm all around.
I have Garageline 15 front and 20 rear. I would do 20 all the way if I did it again. My non-stock wheels created stud clearance issues that required cutting the stock lugs down up front. 20 up front would have saved me from it. The look is actually pretty subtle. The car just looks 'right' rather than aggressive, IMO. But that's with my FordRacing rims. I think you have to look at each wheel set individually. The car really hunts during braking, and the spacers eased some of that. But there is a bit of loss in turning quickness. But the vast majority of time your car is on regular streets, right? So do what works there. I know if I didn't have to cut the lugs, taking the spacers off would just be like taking another set of wheels off. So for track days I would take them off.

·
Registered
726 Posts
a wider stance will reduce the effectiveness of the front/rear sway bar slightly since the lever arm from it to the tire is longer, resulting in more body roll and causing a bit more tilting of the tires in the turns,
So are you saying that a stiffer sway bar might be necessary to return the steering back to normal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Newb here! Anybody have any straight shots of the car showing the difference. I looked on GarageLine website, but the 2 pictures they have don't show much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just put my Focus RS summer wheels with 255/35/19 on the car. As I said I have the 15/20mm Garage Line spacers on. Problem, the RS wheels don't have deep pockets between the lug holes to accomodate the car lug studs. Wheel would not fit up flush. Solution, measured the depth of the stock pockets, using the spacer as a guide machined/drilled the pockets to a depth that would allow a flush wheel mount. While making the mods, removed the calipers and painted them Ford engine red. Car has a mean look now. No rubbing issues yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
As a person who works with suspension engineers daily, I'm anti-spacers.

If you don't get longer studs or ET nuts you lose thread engagement, I don't even want to get started on suspension geometry issues or fender lip issues.

I see this thread is full of people who use them, I only can shake my head.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Have you looked at the garageline spacers. They bolt to your studs and have there own studs to bolt your wheels to. No worries about getting longer studs.

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts