Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know I'm jumping the gun (considering the ST isn't even on the market yet), but when I get my ST one of the first things I'd like to do is put it on some coilovers. Of course they havent come out with coilovers for it yet, but I was wondering does anyone know how long it might take before companies start making ST compatible coilovers after ST's are on the market? from looking around it seems focus coilovers are hard to come by in general, my thinking is since the ST is obviously more sporty and high performance that manufactures might make a wider selection for the ST.
I'm still kinda new to all this so any help would be great! :D

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
2012 Focus is still pretty new. Not much in the way of after market as of yet, but it is on the way. The good thing is coil overs are coil overs and what fits the Focus is likely to fit the ST Focus.

Reactions: sk8parker94

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah but, whats good for a normal focus might not be good for an ST in terms of spring rate and dampening, especially for the front when it will be heavier due to the turbo stuff.

Of course that's if the makers of said coil-overs will want to differentiate between the two and serve a quality product. But I imagine eventually some company will sell one set of coilovers regardless of what type of focus you have.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to put it on coilovers as soon as I could, but i guess ill wait for some good quality ones to come out.. if i have too :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Now I know I'm jumping the gun (considering the ST isn't even on the market yet), but when I get my ST one of the first things I'd like to do is put it on some coilovers. Of course they havent come out with coilovers for it yet, but I was wondering does anyone know how long it might take before companies start making ST compatible coilovers after ST's are on the market? from looking around it seems focus coilovers are hard to come by in general, my thinking is since the ST is obviously more sporty and high performance that manufactures might make a wider selection for the ST.
I'm still kinda new to all this so any help would be great! :D
I'm sure one of those Taiwanese knockoff brands will come out with something.

IMHO if you can't get to Bilstein/H&R/KW/Koni level of quality don't bother. And it might be a while before those guys come around.
Yeah but, whats good for a normal focus might not be good for an ST in terms of spring rate and dampening, especially for the front when it will be heavier due to the turbo stuff.
If there are already parts for the regular Focus though, it's not a big deal to change spring rates from an off the shelf kit. A pair of Hypercos is like $120.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure one of those Taiwanese knockoff brands will come out with something.

IMHO if you can't get to Bilstein/H&R/KW/Koni level of quality don't bother. And it might be a while before those guys come around.

Haha I'll definitely wait until the higher quality products surface, I'm not THAt impatient.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The ST-R uses AST coilovers and they are very respectable brand! I'm sure they be making them for the regular ST.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah, ask the guys on bimmerforums about that...
Touche! I sold my M3 about a year ago before I came to Afghanistan and AST, at that time, was pretty respectable. That's too bad about QA issues they are having. None the less, I'm sure other manufacturers will make coilovers for the ST.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Touche! I sold my M3 about a year ago before I came to Afghanistan and AST, at that time, was pretty respectable. That's too bad about QA issues they are having. None the less, I'm sure other manufacturers will make coilovers for the ST.
Hey you'll be able to write your own review comparing the ST & M3 :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey you'll be able to write your own review comparing the ST & M3 :)
It might be a while, next summer, before I can give that type of comparison. My M3 really spoiled me as far as being a true drivers car. I have high expectations for the ST, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts