Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I saw the numbers on it this morning. Even with 400hp in a hatch, I'd never touch a Buick.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Completely different type of car. This is an Acura TSX competitor (and current Audi A3 I suppose): $30k, kind of heavy, decent speed, manual transmission option, comfortable, lots of technology. There's nothing sporting about it, it retains the standard suspension set up from the regular Verano (only tuned slightly stiffer to accommodate the heavier engine). The automatic doesn't get paddle shifters, which should tell you where Buick is positioning this thing.

If you were set on a TSX though, this would be a fantastic alternative. But if you're set on a Focus ST, the Verano doesn't appeal to you unless you're more interested in features and creature comforts than Recaros and going fast around corners.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Wrong demographic. Don't know why InsideLine would compare them just because HP. :screwy:
My Raptor had same HP (411) as a Mustang GT (412) they MUST be competitors........:confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some actually brutal, but absolutely hilarious (especially the Rev) comments. :LOL: Boy - it's really hard to figure out the General. Maybe all of our taxpayer, bailout dollars has really confused the hell out of them. Buick in particular. Obviously since they deep-sixed Pontiac, they have no middle division with an even remote, sporting pretension. So they are trying to ramp up Buick by putting turbochargers in their cars (the Regal GS and now the Verano). Hell, I never even heard of the Verano until this post.

But wait guys - this is America. And look what sells. The InsideLine article says they're selling more than 3000 a month of these things. Let's be thankful Ford is really strong in Europe; and fully supports compact, affordable performance cars. GM has struggled with their small car offerings for years - and based on their approach to providing performance (at best offering boulevard cruisers with turbo's), they really don't understand what the new generation, performance-oriented buyer is pursuing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Buick = Automatic (boring)
Focus ST = Manual (fun)

EDIT:

I was incorrect. I guess a manual version will be an option
View attachment 1474

If a manual is an option, how well does it handle?
Not as well as the ST. It has the same suspension as the standard Verano, just tuned a little stiffer up front to accommodate the heavier engine. The seats aren't Recaros. The car isn't designed for performance, it's entry luxury with some speed because the other engine (NA 2.4) is sloooooooooow.

Oh and it'll improve profit margins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not that much more weight and same 0-60 (6.2 seconds), but otherwise, no comparison. Different cars, ie; relatively small car entirely made for luxury and quiet, with straight line performance added, vs. much smaller car entirely designed for performance with engine sound, but also entirely livable in day to day driving.

Even though they are so different, I like both of them for their strengths.

By the way, in terms of size, some comparisons of length by using Kelley Blue Book will put things into perspective I think:

Focus 171.7"
Subaru WRX 180.3"
Cruze 181.0"
Verano 183.9"
Genesis Coupe 182.3"
Mustang 188.2"

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, Verano can be had with a proper 6 speed stick. They've probably got hopes that it appeals to the crowd that would look at Acura and Infiniti and the like, but I do see the appeal for some that might be considering the ST.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think the turbo is more for freeway merging and passing power, not much else. Though if that were the case, the 6MT doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree that the Buick is slotted in as a competitor to Infinity, Acura, Lexus, et al. The problem with Buick, is that it's an economy luxury brand, and GM policy has always been to never allow any less expensive car within its various brands, to cannibalize the premier GM cars like Caddies and Vettes. If Buick can't compete with Caddy, it will always be incomplete.

Modern Buicks don't handle like boats though. They're pretty taught. They're just compromised by GM policy.

I think where the ST slots in in marketing, is that it's a car for people who would like a Mustang, but are far to practical to buy a car that is so enthusiastically impractical. It's kind of where the Chevelles, Impalas and Novas were in the late 60s/early 70s. Practical cars with satisfying "oomph" + modern handling sensibilities (not a priority in the heyday of the muscle car sedans and coupes, since America was all about straight line performance and nothing else in those days). Pony cars like the 'Stang, Camaro and Challenger (and their badge engineered cousins) were for people who could give up practicality for sporty.

The theme I'm seeing in ST reviews, is that you can stuff it hard in a turn and it won't wash the front end if you're on the power. Ford has gone through a lot of effort to make that possible, and I think they delayed the release of the ST to work on the software. It takes a lot of testing to program the brakes to properly drag and vector power to the wheels under various conditions, as well as tune the electronic torque steer compensation (presumably to leave just enough torque steer so you feel the power, but not enough to be annoying). I just can't see GM making the effort for a Buick.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
GM was dead to me after they killed Pontiac. They alienated a loyal customer in me (I was a GM loyal until they basically turned dull and vanilla... and stopped making supercharged V6s) and lost my business. The Verano Turbo is slightly compelling, but I know it won't hold a candle to the ST in the handling department. It would be nice to have more room (the Cruze I drove had a lot more room than the Focus) but driving characteristics are more important to me than comfort. Not to mention that I'm not a fan of the looks. I'm not what you'd call a boy-racer but if I buy a car that's billed as a sports sedan I'd like a little bit of exterior work to go with the power.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That's like saying the Toyota Camry is a competitor to the ST because you can get it with a 268 hp V6.

They can't expect a car to magically become a driver's car just because they threw 100 HP worth of extra engine in it. There's so much more involved in order to do it properly. If the car drives like a waterbed, what's the point?

·
Registered
685 Posts
GM was dead to me after they killed Pontiac. They alienated a loyal customer in me (I was a GM loyal until they basically turned dull and vanilla... and stopped making supercharged V6s) and lost my business.

The Verano Turbo is slightly compelling, but I know it won't hold a candle to the ST in the handling department.
I still OWN a Pontiac and don't consider killing it off a wrong decision. All those brands within GM using essentially badge engineered platforms, made it pointless. So you get a different flavor for the same car? BFD. I still think Buick should have been killed off in the US.

But then I'm no one's loyal customer. Loyalty is for chumps. It's a marketing tool, and there has never been a modern corporation that is loyal to its customers. Companies spend a lot of money on marketing to make you loyal, trying to make brand identity a part of your identity. This enables them to exploit you. Think about "malaise era" cars (mid '70s to early '90s). You know why they could get away with producing crap and not going out of business? "Because my father owned a <Chevy/Ford/Chrysler/Dodge/Mercury/etc>, and my family will always own a <Chevy/Ford/Chrysler/Dodge/Mercury/etc>."

NEVER be loyal to a corporation. You have to keep them on their toes.

It's been brought to my attention that the Verano might just get the Opel Astra OPC suspension, tuned for the heavier car. But since they aren't talking about suspension or handling, I say it's a good bet that they aren't. More info is needed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts