Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
another prospective ST buyer in Northern California.

Starting to look at replacing my 97 M3 with something more reliable. Getting tired of 4 figure repair bills.

Just drove a GTI and MS3 yesterday, and both were decent -- loved the 6 speed on the MS3 and VW's DSG was okay too (probably shifts better than I can :p, but getting an automatic just seems wrong).

Also got to rent a new Focus 5-door in Europe for a week (1.6 diesel), and it was a hoot too. I can only imagine how the ST will be. Anyone know if the tranny in the ST is special or the same as what I experienced?

Looking forward to hearing all your experiences...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
6 speed manual gearbox in the ST. The overboost function allows you to hit 60 in 2nd gear (that tip's straight from Tanner Foust).
Ford had the GTI while they were designing the ST. The plan was to not release it until it was better than the GTI. I say wait until the ST comes out and you've test driven it before making a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
The overboost function allows you to hit 60 in 2nd gear (that tip's straight from Tanner Foust).
Boost has nothing to do with speed vs what gear you're in...its just gearing. If you had 100 hp or 1000 hp, and the gear ratios stayed the same, you'd get to 60 in 2nd gear. Anyways, I don't see what makes 60 mph in 2nd impressive...

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Boost has nothing to do with speed vs what gear you're in...its just gearing. If you had 100 hp or 1000 hp, and the gear ratios stayed the same, you'd get to 60 in 2nd gear. Anyways, I don't see what makes 60 mph in 2nd impressive...
But how fast you get to 60 is impressive :O:

Welcome to the site Mark

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hah, experiences. Most of what we have here (other than a few blessed individuals who got to drool over them in Key West or other events) are a bunch of folks with not much more first-hand knowledge than you regarding the ST. Lots of research and hopes, but mostly conjecture. Based on the numbers on paper, the heritage of the earlier ST, and the overall good vibe of the base Focus, this SHOULD be an amazing car...enough so that a lot of us have already put down deposits...but still conjecture nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
More referring to the fact that you won't loose too much power revving the engine up to a very high rpm before shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts