Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thanks for posting this interceptor, but I believe this has been posted twice before (though I cannot find those threads now, so maybe good to have it posted again). You can find the ST Supplement, 2013 Focus Owners Guide, and other docs here...

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/

...then click on Owner Guides.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks Interceptor! Makes for upping the anticipation adrenaline some more. BTW, how soon do you expect to start your tracking sub-forum to replace the one I just missed out on prior to it being closed?

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I don't mid reading it again and again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Isn't the ST supposed to have a twin-scroll turbo to reduce turbo lag? Or am I just mistaken?
Supplement says it's a single-scroll. :thumbd:

·
Banned
88 Posts
I've heard that all ecoboost applications are supposed to be twin-scroll but I keep reading this has a single. From what I hear though it sounds like it really wasn't needed as there's virtually no lag.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
According to the manual, I can take a small hit in peak horsepower and run 87 octane. I like saving money when it's just slow freeway miles :) One of those bonus things to go with all the little things that make me like the ST.

I don't know if I've seen Orange coolant. Is that a Ford only thing?

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
According to the manual, I can take a small hit in peak horsepower and run 87 octane. I like saving money when it's just slow freeway miles :) One of those bonus things to go with all the little things that make me like the ST.

I don't know if I've seen Orange coolant. Is that a Ford only thing?
Nope it's been out
Old school rule of thumb is not to mix orange & green. IDK about using orange exculsively.

·
Banned
88 Posts
I feel like I'm pretty knowledgeable about stuff but looking through the manual I saw something I've never seen before and can't seem to wrap my head around it. Anyone willing to explain how 5th, 6th, and reverse have a different final drive ratio than 1-4? I've had transaxles apart before and I don't get it, is this a new trend that I've just never noticed before?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I feel like I'm pretty knowledgeable about stuff but looking through the manual I saw something I've never seen before and can't seem to wrap my head around it. Anyone willing to explain how 5th, 6th, and reverse have a different final drive ratio than 1-4? I've had transaxles apart before and I don't get it, is this a new trend that I've just never noticed before?
The SVT Focus was the same way. It has two layshafts with different gear ratios (though it had them split up 1/2/5/6 and 3/4/R). You can read about it here: Ford Focus SVT Powertrain Specifications

(This is no to say the ST has the same design, but that's at least one way of doing it.)

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
^^Working Now Thanks!

·
Banned
88 Posts
The SVT Focus was the same way. It has two layshafts with different gear ratios (though it had them split up 1/2/5/6 and 3/4/R). You can read about it here: Ford Focus SVT Powertrain Specifications

(This is no to say the ST has the same design, but that's at least one way of doing it.)
Thanks, was talking to a buddy who said same thing. Turns out I just haven't paid attention.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This supplement says that REGULAR gas is RECOMENDED. Sounds great to me.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Won't be running Regular in my ST.

Ever. They recommend a fuel that the manual even says will reduce performance? No thanks. What was the point of buying the ST then? Certainly not worth saving $2-3 per fill up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This supplement says that REGULAR gas is RECOMENDED. Sounds great to me.
It says more than just that.

You'd think higher octane would be supported, is this just a gimmick to entice more of the budget-minded customers?
I don't think this is a gimmick.

Here is what i remember it saying:

From the manual:

OCTANE RECOMMENDATIONS
Regular unleaded gasoline with a
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer
fuels posted as Regular with an
octane rating below 87, particularly
in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not
recommended. Premium fuel with an octane rating of 93 or higher will
provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty or
high performance usage.

87 (R+M)/2 METHOD

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-general-discussion/1182-st-owners-suppliment-guide.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts