Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the Continental Tire ST series on Speed, specifically the NJ race. They were talking a lot about having to toss the stock differential and get Multimatic to redesign a new LSD that wouldn't just sit there and spin one wheel. It sounds like this LSD will be an expensive but maybe necessary upgrade. They also mentioned that they were also having trouble with the shocks heating up and seizing which causes the car to bounce around. Hopefully the cars will become competitive later in the season once they get the bugs out. I'm sure there are going to be a bunch of upgrade parts coming from this racing program.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm glad these parts are being developed through their racing program to give people upgrade options. Although most people will likely never actually need a mechanical LSD on their stock ST, it would be a great upgrade for anyone planning to run their cars on the track or planning to upgrade engine performance. It remains to be seen how well the electronic "LSD" will perform, but it is virtually certain that a mechanical LSD would be faster and more predictable than the electronic option.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Should have installed the RevoKnuckle and called it a day

Reactions: 2phun

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Agreed. It's a proven technology that works great in the more powerful previous generation RS, only drawback I can think of is it weighs and costs more. But a great differential would be well worth that increase. I'm sure they want to keep it an RS thing though to help differentiate it from the ST...but if the Focus RS isn't coming here, then what is it being saved for? Unless the electronic method works so well they determined there isn't much of a benefit on standard STs...

But if there is no RS next year, and there are complaints about the electronic "LSD" I'd be almost willing to bet the 2014 ST would come with the RevoKnuckle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was watching the Continental Tire ST series on Speed, specifically the NJ race. They were talking a lot about having to toss the stock differential and get Multimatic to redesign a new LSD that wouldn't just sit there and spin one wheel. It sounds like this LSD will be an expensive but maybe necessary upgrade.
I don't think you can compare professional road racing to driving around on the streets. Just saying.

"necessary" is only if you decide you want to start doing autocrosses in your ST (even though it won't be competitive in any SCCA class) or track events in your ST (where you will be much better off with pretty much any other platform out there).

This thing is not built for serious motorsports. I don't think that's a secret and I don't think that's a problem for the car either.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The ST-R is essentially the same mechanically as a street ST. Even much of the suspension components are directly from the assembly line. Ford is apparently very committed to using regular production parts to make the ST-R, which is why you can order it out of the FRPP catalog. So while the ST isn't intended as a race car, that doesn't mean it doesn't have potential and can't or won't be successful. The chassis is still pretty young in terms of development, and there just hasn't been enough track usage to determine it's potential for success, but I'm optimistic.

BTW, about it's competitiveness in autocross, I haven't seen where the SCCA has classed it yet, but I suspect you're right that it won't be competitive... mainly because the ST's technology (torque vectoring steering, overboost, etc.) will get it put it in a class where it's out-powered by much more expensive machines (i.e. BMW M3, Porsche Cayman, etc.). That's just a guess, but it's not inconsistent with what the SCCA has done in the past when confronted with a new lower priced car that brings previously upper-end technologies to the table.

·
4,009 Posts
Having never driven a ST or knowing where it will be classed, I'm not ready to wright it off as a noncompetitive autocross car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
BTW, about it's competitiveness in autocross, I haven't seen where the SCCA has classed it yet, but I suspect you're right that it won't be competitive... mainly because the ST's technology (torque vectoring steering, overboost, etc.) will get it put it in a class where it's out-powered by much more expensive machines (i.e. BMW M3, Porsche Cayman, etc.). That's just a guess, but it's not inconsistent with what the SCCA has done in the past when confronted with a new lower priced car that brings previously upper-end technologies to the table.
Educated guess: it'll be in DS with the MS3, Cobalt, WRX, Cooper S, ITR, BMW 3 series, etc, and in street touring it will land in STX (ditto).

The SEB/SAC usually aren't very concerned about heavy FWD cars without a mechanical diff. Maybe it will be able to get some camber in stock form though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I actually hope you're right... if so, at least we'll have a healthy sense of competitiveness with the ST market rivals, even if it may not be hyper-competitive for top of class. I'm hoping it surprises us though... it's already got a nice set of factory tires for competing in RTF.

·
4,009 Posts
Goodyear Eagles I think.

On the go - Via TapTalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
I LOVE the Michelin PS3's on my Titanium now. Best tire I've ever run (and I've run alot. Lol) Quiet and sticky as hell. Hope these Goodyears are as good or ill be switching pretty quick.

·
Registered
742 Posts
A couple notes about the Goodyears coming on the ST...

First, a lot... A LOT... maybe even most factory issued tires are built on spec for the manufacturers by tire companies to meet manufacture demands for ride, noise, durability, cost, performance, etc. By definition, these spec tires are a huge compromise. These spec tires are not regular tire stock like you would order if you go to any good tires store. And what's worse is that many spec tires are actually more expensive than a better non-OEM issue tire. And they're usually only available in very limited sizes: the sizes that the OEM needed 'em to be for the application they come on. Odd, but true.

Second, the Goodyears coming on the ST ARE NOT SPEC TIRES. They were built to be high performance tires for high performance applications, but some manufacturers have picked them up to use as OEM issue on high performance vehicles. Not being a spec tire is why you'll find them in a larger variety of sizes and at good tire retailers.

Anyway, if you wanna know more about them, here's a review from Motortrend: Sampling the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Motor Trend

·
Registered
685 Posts
But if there is no RS next year, and there are complaints about the electronic "LSD" I'd be almost willing to bet the 2014 ST would come with the RevoKnuckle.
You do realize the RevoKnuckle is a not a differential, but small double arm suspension trick to ensure the wheels go up in parallel, right? From the design, is looks like it only addresses torque steer caused by the uneven compression of the suspension.

·
4,009 Posts
There won't be any RS next year. It's years away. I wish that Ford had included the RevoKnukle but I've read that the system that the ST will comes with handles the job. I'm more of a mechanical solution kind of guy than a electronic do dad guy but, it is what it is.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts