Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a silly question I guess, but I'm just curious if anybody actually knows what the redline is going to be set at for the ST
I've seen multiple pictures of the dash and it seems like the redline is different in almost each one. I realize these are all prototype units, so some differences are to be expected, but I didn't think the redline would be one of them.

What really got my attention is the pic that Tanner Foust posted on Facebook during the Key West event.
It looks like the redline is at 6,000.
Ford Focus ST Tanner Dash.jpg

On Fords website the dash pic shows the redline closer to 6,500 or maybe even higher.
Ford Focus ST Dash.JPG

Not a huge deal, but when I saw Tanner's pic of it showing a 6,000 RPM redline, I was really surprised.
I know the torque is all down low, and the horsepower peak is at 5,500, so it probably doesn't really need to rev higher than about 6,000. Just most sporty cars I've been in rev higher. I'm used my old Focus SVT with a 7,200 RPM redline. Heck, even the big family 4-door sedan I drive now has a redline of 6,800.

Like I said, kinda silly... It doesn't really matter, I'm still buying the car!!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
The lower the rev the better! We want that torque down low. I had a Honda Civic that I autocrossed and having to wind it out to make power made it very uncompetitive. VW Rabbits would eat me alive.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just noticed in that picture you posted, the white part of the gauge actually creeps around to about 6800rpm in a thin outside line, then goes solid red. Pretty sure I've seen video of that similar Ford gauge where the needle goes an inch into the red before actual rev limiter is hit. Doesn't make much sense to be hitting all the way anyway. I think that is good way of showing where max shift 'should' be....if you go over a bit, at least it's not rev limited.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I just hope the whole rev range is usable. I've heard the MS3 runs out of breath with like 1000 rpm to go. Just kinda falls flat. I can't confirm that, but all reading I've done suggest that. I hope ST pulls all the way to redline.

·
Registered
440 Posts
maybe it is like the BMW M's that have an adjustable redline based on temp and what not.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the overboost feature or it's just a way of denoting that "you're getting close"!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lower the rev the better! We want that torque down low. I had a Honda Civic that I autocrossed and having to wind it out to make power made it very uncompetitive. VW Rabbits would eat me alive.
I don't think there is any doubt that the ST is going to have plenty of torque down low. In my opinion it's also a great feeling to string out the gears and run through the rev range every once in a while on the open road or on a road course. A 6000 RPM redline will bring back memories of driving my old pickup truck! ;-)

I just noticed in that picture you posted, the white part of the gauge actually creeps around to about 6800rpm in a thin outside line, then goes solid red.
I noticed that too. I wasn't sure if that was actually there or a trick of lighting combined with the blurrycam pic. If your idea is correct, I could certainly live with that. I think GM used to do something similar with a yellow section above the redline.

I just hope the whole rev range is usable. I've heard the MS3 runs out of breath with like 1000 rpm to go. Just kinda falls flat. I can't confirm that, but all reading I've done suggest that. I hope ST pulls all the way to redline.
Agreed! I've heard similar about the MS3. The MS3 falls flat at about 5,500 and yet has at 6,700 redline. Maybe Ford is keeping the redline low so that it doesn't feel as asthmatic above it's useful range.

maybe it is like the BMW M's that have an adjustable redline based on temp and what not.
Honestly, that was one of my first thoughts. Though in Tanner's pic the engine appears to be warm... That would be awesome if that were the case though!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This may help:

2.0L Ecoboost Power Curve
Ford ST Nation - 2013 Ford Focus ST
Yep, that kinda did...
The first video in that link proved helpful. I remember watching that a while ago and just thinking they had the wrong gauges installed and that's why they went past the redline. Now that I look closer, it's the same as what was in Tanner's Key West car and it certainly shows what appears to be a 2 step redline. Still not sure if I "get it" though. Maybe the higher one is right at the rev limiter or something?

Here are a couple screen caps:
Ford Focus ST Dash Vid Cap.JPG Ford Focus ST Dash Vid Cap past redline.JPG

·
Registered
337 Posts
Redline is just for reference.

Old foci didnt even have one the tach, just a limiter at 6750.

STs tap 7k without issue before the rev limiter soon after and with variable cam timing it does have power up there.

- Drew

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Ok... a 4 cylinder 4 cycle engine fires half of its cylinders for each revolution. Simply, this means you have to spin the engine FASTER to get your power unless you have REALLY large pistons or a lot of displacement.
What I am getting at is that with all of the latest engine technology, this can only rev to 7000 ?
I bet with a little blueprint and balance work it can go to 8500 or is the issue more to do with how much flow at what pressure can that injector pump do?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about redline- Im more concerned about power under the curve.
I mean did you guys see the torque curve?

Remember- HP might sell cars, but torque wins races - thats a quote from Carroll Shelby (RIP)

I can tell you right now, with enough torque, redline wont matter-

Rev Hammer- its more then blueprinting and balancing, it has to do with the strength of the rotating assembly as well-

It looks to me that the power curve is going to be more big block then Honda which is very good with me!

Both my 67 GT500 and my 56 Victoria which has a fully built 428CJ (I paid almost 20K for the motor) redline at about 5100-5200 RPM - and lets just say when you make enough power down low, a lower redline is not an issue.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about redline- Im more concerned about power under the curve.
I mean did you guys see the torque curve?

Remember- HP might sell cars, but torque wins races - thats a quote from Carroll Shelby (RIP)

I can tell you right now, with enough torque, redline wont matter-

Rev Hammer- its more then blueprinting and balancing, it has to do with the strength of the rotating assembly as well-

It looks to me that the power curve is going to be more big block then Honda which is very good with me!

Both my 67 GT500 and my 56 Victoria which has a fully built 428CJ (I paid almost 20K for the motor) redline at about 5100-5200 RPM - and lets just say when you make enough power down low, a lower redline is not an issue.
I completely agree with that. My cobra slays a lot of vehicles that come in with higher HP numbers just for the simple fact I have done everything to mine to simply make the torque/low end power higher. Now if you are looking for roll races at highway speeds its a different game.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Raising the RPMs without a camshaft, head work (porting, valves, etc.), and intake plenum to support it will not raise your peak HP number, as you can see by the dyno graph, it started to fall off over 6K anyways. And yes, you have to worry about fuel delivery, ignition timing (decreased exhaust scavenging will dangerously increase compression)...and depending on the length of the stroke you have to watch your piston speeds. Too fast will score cylinder walls, melt rings, and eventually snap rods when the cylinder and the piston weld together. Not to mention piston-to-valve contact if you float a valve. It's better to raise the torque with the factory redline by increasing how your car moves air on either side of camshaft with boost and exhaust mods. Because HP is a fake magic number derived from a formula made up of TQ vs RPM vs time, if you improve any one of those 3 variables, your HP will increase. On a turbo charged car, you won't see a whole lot of gain by going to a cold-air style intake, becuase the turbo heats it way up anyways, then sends it through an intercooler. You won't even see gains by doing things like gutting the cats. Ford's exhaust systems are so good that I'm making 480hp/460tq through stock manifolds and mufflers. Octane, boost, and ignition timing. Those are the only 3 things that will make a difference if you're not looking to ruin the drivability by changing cams, raising the rev limiter, or modifying the head...so save your money. Methanol injection to reduce detonation at higher boost or advanced timing on pump gas can be used at your own risk.

·
Registered
358 Posts
We should do not spend too much time about the Redline. As Shomare already said, we need and of course we have enough torque @ lower rpm´s.

Ford Focus ST Power Curves:
View attachment 343

In a friends MS3, which has digital display for the turbo-pressure. The electronic reduces the pressure @ 5,8/6000 rpm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't mean to have this thread get so deep.
There was some photographic discrepancy and thought I'd ask about it.

Sounds like this car truly is the best of both worlds with flexibility well beyond 6,000 RPM and mountains of torque way down low.
If I'm reading the dynograph correctly, the ST will make more torque at about 1,200 RPM than my old SVT did at it's peak of 5,500 RPM!.

I can't wait to get my hands on this car!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts