Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is the right forum or if anyone else cares, but here's a little spreadsheet I did that shows how fast the ST would be going in each gear at certain RPMs.

I did one of these for my SVT years ago, and I just updated it to plug in the STs gearing ratios and wheel diameter. It's interesting how close 1st and 2nd gear in the ST are to the SVT, there is no more than 0.1 MPH difference all the way up to redline. The biggest difference is the SVT's rev limiter is at 7300, so you can rev it a little higher. In gears 3-6, the ST gets taller and taller. In fact, 5th in the ST is pretty close to 6th in the SVT, less than 6 MPH difference at redline. So 6th in the ST should really help with MPGs, but with so much torque available as low as 2000 RPM, I don't think It will be an issue.

Focus ST Gears.jpg

The second attachment is how many RPMs the engine is turning in each gear at certain MPHs from 5 to 165. Blue numbers represent peak (or near peak) torque, green numbers are same for HP, red is at or near redline.

Focus ST Gears2.jpg

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's good to see they're spaced so evenly, with the Overboost function providing extra torque to make sure each of the gears will pull strong over a pretty large RPM range. Hopefully this will have a positive effect on overall fuel economy in real world driving.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Looks like 60 will be available right at the top of second. Should make some pretty good times without having to shift again.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I dunno bout this. From my experiences of owning a SVT Focus i can tell you the first few gears feel 2 close, and with this being a turbo car.. granted not a typical 1 with lag; it might have been better suited with taller gears all the way through not just 6th. With that being said i am NOT an engineer and am prob totally wrong but for everyone who has preordered I can tell you 4th gear will pull like a freight train cause it is the strongest in my SVTF. look at the difference in speed per 500rpm.

63.3mph - 126.5mph in 3500rpm With more HP this thing will be a monster for highway pulls. :thumb:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I dunno bout this. From my experiences of owning a SVT Focus i can tell you the first few gears feel 2 close, and with this being a turbo car.. granted not a typical 1 with lag; it might have been better suited with taller gears all the way through not just 6th. With that being said i am NOT an engineer and am prob totally wrong but for everyone who has preordered I can tell you 4th gear will pull like a freight train cause it is the strongest in my SVTF. look at the difference in speed per 500rpm.

63.3mph - 126.5mph in 3500rpm With more HP this thing will be a monster for highway pulls. :thumb:
Well I am an engineer, and 3rd and 4th are both going to pull like hell. Second may be a little short and lacking in power, but if you're anywhere between 30 and 80mph, 3rd and 4th will be all you need.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, I added a second attachment that shows how many RPMs the engine is turning in each gear at certain MPHs from 5 to 165.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nice job BamaBob!

I think I would have preferred seeing the gearing tightened up a little bit across the range, but being that I haven't driven one yet, the gearing might be a perfect match for the car.

It certainly looks like 6th will be a highway only gear that I likely won't use until at least 60 MPH. I never like to let the revs drop below 2K on any of the gas-powered cars I've owned over the years and have always found cruising between 2K and 3K is ideal, no matter if it was in my Celica GT, Sentra SE-R, Omni GLH, Taurus SHO, or even my Tacoma. Anything less than 2K on any of these cars always felt like you were lugging the motor and putting unnecessary stress on them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Must just be me but the concept of driving around in a gear lower than max seems weird to me.... assuming you are not accelerating that is. Maybe its just the 5 speed manuals I've previously driven were tuned for lower speeds?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've never owned a FWD car before so please educate me. Why am I looking at 2 different final drive ratio gears? 4.06 & 2.95.

All the cars I've owned, have been trucks or RWD cars. They way I've always understood it was Transmission gear X differential gear = over all. For example the rear differential gear in my M3 was 3.62. How do the ST have 4.06 and 2.95 differential ratio gears?

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Looks like 60mph can be hit in 2nd gear !
When I drive that slow, you know it's hard to steer.
And I can't get my car out of second gear.
What used to take two hours now takes all day.
Huh - It took me 16 hours to get to L.A.!

CHORUS:
Go on & write me up for 125
Post my face, wanted dead or alive
Take my license n' all that jive
I can't drive 55!

Reactions: Americarsftw

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've never owned a FWD car before so please educate me. Why am I looking at 2 different final drive ratio gears? 4.06 & 2.95.

All the cars I've owned, have been trucks or RWD cars. They way I've always understood it was Transmission gear X differential gear = over all. For example the rear differential gear in my M3 was 3.62. How do the ST have 4.06 and 2.95 differential ratio gears?
Because there are two final drive gears in the ST's transmission, and they are selected depending on the gear: 4.06:1 for 1-4, and 2.95 for 5 & 6.

The VW GTI does the same thing: 3.94 gears 1-4, 3.09 gears 5 & 6
Same with the Mazdaspeed3: 4.19 for 1-4, and 3.53 for 5 & 6

·
Registered
685 Posts
So does that mean theoretical they could make it do 1-6 at 2.95 or 1-6 in 4.06 if they wanted to? Like the front sprockets of a 10+ speed bicycle?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Because there are two final drive gears in the ST's transmission, and they are selected depending on the gear: 4.06:1 for 1-4, and 2.95 for 5 & 6.

The VW GTI does the same thing: 3.94 gears 1-4, 3.09 gears 5-6
Same with the Mazdaspeed3: 4.19 for 1-4, and 3.53 for 5 & 6
Are the final drive gears not part of the differential in a FWD car? Like in a RWD car, transmission connects to, drive shaft, which connects to differential that contains the ring and pinion gears.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Are the final drive gears not part of the differential in a FWD car? Like in a RWD car, transmission connects to, drive shaft, which connects to differential that contains the ring and pinion gears.
"The Ford MMT6 [manual FWD transmission (rumored to be the one in the ST)] features a twin lay shaft design with the most commonly used gears – first through fourth on one lay shaft with dual synchros, and fifth, sixth and reverse using a different final drive ratio on the second lay shaft."

The final drives are buried inside the transmission itself.

Mondeo MMT6 Release

1 - 20 of 22 Posts