Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time Browser/Poster

I work in Northern Virginia, and as such will be driving back roads off and on, and my question is pertaining to the Default Tires that come with the ST ( i have not purchased it yet, but i will in the next month )

i am already going to be getting Different Tires/Rims and Swap out (Edit* decided to just get All Seasons as so far there has not been that much snow the past couple years, just rare occasions of more then an inch or 2) . Will i also need to get rid of the Summer Performance Tires to cope with the Back roads even during Summer? ( some are smooth packed dirt, some are somewhat bad )

currently I have owned a Focus ZX3 since 00, and it is using all seasons, but obviously the 00 ZX3 has ALOT less performance/HP/Torque then the ST.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I live on nasty dirt, the summers were fine until everything froze. the only thing to consider is the profile of the tire being too small to take much of a beating.

So for the winter I specifically went 17" so I can get a larger profile tire. You'll be fine unless you want to drive rally style on unpacked gravel, then you will crash.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it will be normal driving and almost always low speeds ( dont want to break anything ), as only reason ill be on those roads will be for work purposes i wont be "Gunning and Grinning"

So you are saying the Summers will be fine for those Roads? ( as long as i dont go to fast into a crater or anything )

I live on nasty dirt, the summers were fine until everything froze. the only thing to consider is the profile of the tire being too small to take much of a beating.

So for the winter I specifically went 17" so I can get a larger profile tire. You'll be fine unless you want to drive rally style on unpacked gravel, then you will crash.

·
Registered
690 Posts
No it will be normal driving and almost always low speeds ( dont want to break anything ), as only reason ill be on those roads will be for work purposes i wont be "Gunning and Grinning"

So you are saying the Summers will be fine for those Roads? ( as long as i dont go to fast into a crater or anything )
Yep they will run fine as long as you drive carefully so you don't break them.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

What is the lowest ambient temp where these summer tires will stick/safe to drive at reasonable speeds?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am planning on driving my st3 through this winter on the stock tires. I live in Nebraska and see low temps and snow. We are expecting our first snow on Wednesday . We will see if I am headed to get winter shoes or not. I think caution and reasonable driving will help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am planning on driving my st3 through this winter on the stock tires. I live in Nebraska and see low temps and snow. We are expecting our first snow on Wednesday . We will see if I am headed to get winter shoes or not. I think caution and reasonable driving will help.
I ran summer tires in a random snow once and they sucked majorly. No traction and I could not get over 5 mph at all. Nearly caused a few accidents. This was in my ranger too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
690 Posts
I thought the same thing too, "I'll just drive them in the snow, and see." lol, It was the single most terrifying driving experience of my life.

Literally took a mile to get to 25 in 4th gear lugging(but still slipping...), and it was a scary half sideways mile. the crown of the road spits you off at a near stop, and forget about stopping from that 25mph, you have found the perpetual motion frictionless surface.

This was in less than 2" for perspective.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Its best for the safety of you and the other people around you just to get another set of tires

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I dont plan on driving this car in snow or extreme weather ... I have the truck for that. I wouldnt even take it out in heavy rain. I guess what i was wanting to know is if its dry but say in the thirties and forties has anyone had any problems with traction in those conditions.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have been running the stock tires in temps ranging from 10-50 degrees. Of course they will not grip under hard acceleration, but they work just fine. As long as you aren't an idiot and try to accelerate hard the tires are still good for normal driving.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have been running the stock tires in temps ranging from 10-50 degrees. Of course they will not grip under hard acceleration, but they work just fine. As long as you aren't an idiot and try to accelerate hard the tires are still good for normal driving.
Okay good to know. Since summer tires may be better in wet and dry compared to all seasons i have a hard time justifying the cost of changing them. We onlly get snow 4 or 5 times per year and i dont want to pay for winter tires for that small amount of use. Would just drive the truck those days

·
Registered
118 Posts
Please post your experience because if you never post again we may suspect that it was last time you drove in the snow.

Krzys

·
Registered
690 Posts

Agreed, but add a single centimeter of snow into the mix, and you are literally done moving in a proper straight line. Texas might not get much snow, but up north, you WILL crash with the summer tires.

You've been warned :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alright Wednesday night we had a dusting of snow on the ground and I could not even get up my driveway . Friday I had a set of continental DWS XTREM but on my ST . Love the tires, and what grip they have. Needless to say, if you have the stock tires on and you are farther north than Kansas, and it is a daily driver, you are crazy!! Spend the bucks for tires or spend the bucks for a new car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Real winter tires instead of winter swayed all seasons would have been even better.
But glad thay you are not driving your summers in Nebraska's winter.

Krzys

·
Registered
246 Posts
Alright Wednesday night we had a dusting of snow on the ground and I could not even get up my driveway . Friday I had a set of continental DWS XTREM but on my ST . Love the tires, and what grip they have. Needless to say, if you have the stock tires on and you are farther north than Kansas, and it is a daily driver, you are crazy!! Spend the bucks for tires or spend the bucks for a new car.
I just got a set of DWS's for my car today. Had our first real cold spell last night (High 20's) and the stock tires rode like shit and I spun the tires every time I took off from a stop. It was dry outside also. I didn't really believe the whole summer tire/cold weather thing until last night but it's true. I think I got a good deal on the tires too. $801 otd.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If it helps the OP at all, snow tires also make for great dirt/gravel tires. I'd run RallyX events in my last car using snow tires and they did great.

Agreed, but add a single centimeter of snow into the mix, and you are literally done moving in a proper straight line. Texas might not get much snow, but up north, you WILL crash with the summer tires.

You've been warned :)
As a northerner who now lives in TX, I'm keeping my summer only tires because regardless of what tire I have, if there's a centimeter of snow, I'm not going anywhere near any roads with TX drivers on them. I'll let those retards play bumper-cars by themselves and I'll just work from home that day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts