Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading a few threads and I found some posts about how some ST owners wont be driving their cars in the winter. Specifically mentioning getting a beater for the winter. I understand not wanting to tear up a brand new car, however it is just that a car. I can understand some conditions requiring 4x4 transportation if they live in heavy snow fall areas. If I buy one it will be a daily driver sunny, rainy or in the winter, possibly taking it to the drag strip! I usually put 15k plus miles on my cars in a year or more. Curious who else will be using their ST as a daily?

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
That's one of the things I like about the ST... You CAN use it as a daily driver. It has enough space, winter traction (with winter tires, of course), technology (especially compared to the WRX, yick) and, of course, power. You're buying a $25k car that could easily be used in most types of driving situations so why not use it to its fullest potential? Getting a beater car is just a waste of money, IMO. Put a good coat of polish/sealant/wax on it and it will look like new after a hard winter. (and you'll probably want to undercoat it after a couple of years)

·
Registered
22 Posts
St3 package for the same reason as most, using those heated seats in the winter. Nebraska gets chilly. I do however already own a 1991 Honda civic which is my current daily driver. I will probably use it when the snow gets too bad. I don't like all the salt and everything that gets thrown everywhere on the vehicle. I will be driving in the rain.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I love heated seats in all 4 seasons here in Massachusetts. It feels so good on my sore back muscles that I get from work stress, weightlifting, sports.

It still may go ST2. I prefer partial leather seats to give the car a sportier feel.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Mine will be a DD
But living in the LA area does not put the winter wear on the car
My SVT is 10 years old and has no rust

·
Registered
417 Posts
Anyone that's worried about rust should know this. Salt is only corrosive in warm weather. Get an undercarriage wash once a week in the winter so when it warms up you're salt free. You only need to detail a car once a year. So not only do you wax, but you get a separate polishing pad for your orbital buffer. Before all of that you wash the car and then clay it. It will remove any harmful impurites/toxins in the car paint.

If you don't want to do it yourself you can always pay a detailer to do it for a few hundred tops.

The rest of the year you handwash your car. I won't get into the details. You can look that up.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's good advise I always get the undercarriage spray when I go through the brush-less car wash.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine will be a DD as well. Went with ST3 for the heated seats (more for the HIDs) which will be nice with full leather during the colder months.

I made it through last winter in my Titanium with 18s and the Michelin PS3s. Didn't have much of a winter in NC though. I did get caught in about 2" of snow during a December trip to Wisconsin and that was pretty dicey.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is the undercoating coating worth the price or should one just use the money for the under carriage car wash and it will be good?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've driven all my cars year around, through Michigan winters. Some careful driving and a little bit of upkeep is all it takes to see a car through the season without issue. A lot of it is knowing your car at its limits. Can't wait to learn them with this car!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Definitely a daily driver for me. I live in CA so winter isn't an issue but I was specifically waiting for a car that was fun and with good enough MPG to use as a daily driver for approximately 100 miles per day. At the moment the ST wins this competition hands down.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Definitely a daily driver for me. If the car is really as good as initial reviews make it sound, why not experience that every day? The overall practicality of the car is way more than adequate for everyday usability. I live in SoCal, so we don't really get winter weather. We can even drive on summer tires all year, as long as we don't go into any of our higher elevation places.

I will be getting 3M protective plastic on the front end of the car. That's the one thing I wish I had done for my current car ('03 Miata). That car, with about 125,000 miles on it, would still look close to new except for the fact that the paint on the front end is practically sandblasted away!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My ST will also be daily driven. I usually stay with the mustangs, but I need a fwd vehicle . I also will be looking into the 3m clear protective plastic.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Mine will be replacing my current Focus as a daily driver. I wish I could keep the current one, but it will be sold so I can acquire a decent down payment.

However, I'm nervous about having a manual DD as I haven't driven a manual in about 10 years. :eek:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts