Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking into trading in my ST1 for an ST3, can most likely do it for an even swap, with just a few more miles on the ST3... plus it is the color I wanted originally... anyone oppose to this possible transaction? Mind you I am a wide stature, I have heard the ST3 seats can prove uncomfortable for larger people, I'm going to check it out regardless. I just can't deal with the crappy ST1 stereo anymore.. and I'm sick of the color blue...lol.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Good luck if you decide to do it! I'm 6'3" but with a 37" waist, so my experiences with the Recaros won't match yours. I'll share anyway! I find the seats comfortable for commuting and occasional longer trips. I do get some leg fatigue on long trips, but I fill up when down to a 1/4 of a tank, around 220 mi =/-, so the small tank gives time to stretch. Hopefully the seats will fit you well.

Beyond seats, I think you'll like the HID and cornering lights, and maybe you'll get a rear camera and other goodies? Mine's loaded minus the sunroof and no rear camera as it wasn't available on the '13s. I'm happy with everything: ambient lighting, heated seats, stereo/NAV. Only things I don't like about the car are the crooked hood gap and lack of gasketing under the hood to keep the engine clean. Others don't seem to have a problem but my engine gets crap on it, particularly in winter months with the salt mix on the roads. I have pics of that in an album on here I think.

Oh, what color are you aiming for?? I'm still happy with white. Still looks good after claying, polishing, and waxing recently other than some chips on the front from road debris.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my '16 ST3 about two months ago and this has been my first vehicle with Recaro seats. To give you a little perspective, I'm 6'0" and weigh about 230. So I'm a little on the "thick" side. I had to break these seats in just like breaking in a pair of good leather shoes. It took me about 700 miles to really get comfortable. Now I'm at 4000 miles and love these seats! There is no comparison as far as interior and exterior "goodies" when you look at ST1 vs ST3. I love the large touch-screen and the SYNC 3 system. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
White is all good!!! I love the color way on the white ST... My previous car was a silver Pontiac Vibe... had dark gray wheels... lowered.. looked great.. till someone smashed it. I like silver and white... you can do a lot of dark accenting with those 2 colors... with my blue... nothing really... I didn't want the sunroof, but was the only option I could find an ST1 with... I actually am really glad I got it now.. car looks really nice with the sunroof tilted up on vent. My friend has a 15 with the Recaro's... I drove it... the side bolsters really dig into my back... I heard that you can "pull" on them from the back seat and widen them.. but sounds made up.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm skeptical of manually widening the side bolsters. Maybe. My issue being tall is not getting my shoulder blades flush to the seat and square. It really only annoys me on long trips.

What's the latest on your ST hotach? Getting fuel into it? Keeping it or still shopping around for something else?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm skeptical of manually widening the side bolsters. Maybe. My issue being tall is not getting my shoulder blades flush to the seat and square. It really only annoys me on long trips.

What's the latest on your ST hotach? Getting fuel into it? Keeping it or still shopping around for something else?
Had to take it back like I said... still only took a buck at a time before clicking off... just so happens, the dealer where i'm having it serviced has a 14 ST 2, or 3 for sale... not sure which one... Full leather Recaros... I'm guessing it is a 3, and it is silver, which was the color I originally wanted, think it has 40k miles or so... mine has 23k... but is only an ST1 with a sunroof... I'm hoping to get a respectable deal and trade up... and I'm not upside down yet on my loan so if all goes well... Ill be paying less per month. I have been looking at other options... I work for Ford, so I was trying to stay loyal, I was looking at MKZ's... My dad has a 12' and I've been driving it while mine is in the shop, and it is pretty nice, but I'm short and have to be right up on the steering wheel, so no go on the 12' MKZ... and i've heard the 13 to15's had some issues... I dunno, I think I'm gonna stick with the ST and hopefully upgrade to the ST3... it all depends though on how I feel in the Recaro's... I will post with an update soon!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The ST3 has the full black Recaros. The ST2 has the colored inserts which I liked but I wanted the heated seats & mirrors, corner lights, etc that only came with the ST3, at least for 2013. Hopefully you can make the swap and then the dealer can work on the fueling issue on your ST1 on their time. Explain your issues and repeat returns for a fix (nicely) and see if they can let you take the ST3 out with a dealer plate for a day or two so you can try it out? Even if they put a cap on total miles, you should get a better idea of whether the Recaros will work for you. Let us know as things progress!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally figured it out.. faulty fuel inlet tube... must be a venting issue with the tube.. like I said... prob spiders.. Still on the fence about trading in.. came across an 06 Acura RSX Type-S... While its HP/TQ ratings of 201/140 look meek compared to my current 252/270... I have seen several 0-60 and 1/4 mile comparisons that are almost identical. I love my hatch look over the 2 door coupe look of the RSX.. however it will cut my monthly payment in half, and as a former Honda/Acura mechanic, there is no worries about reliability with the RSX... Now to go check it out and see if those leather racing seats are comfortable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You say it took you 700 miles to get comfortable... you got power seats right? I sure don't, manual all the way around... I have super short legs, but a long torso, so I need the seat as far down as possible, rear tilt about 70 degrees, steering wheel as far away from me as possible... then comes the daunting task of finding that perfect distance front to back... I had it perfect... then a friend of mine decided to try to take it for a joy ride and jacked it all up... took me days to get it right... and now i'm still messing with it cause the dealer moved it again!!! And now that it is getting cold out and I'm wearing a jacket.. I feel like I'm always too close now.. I would have to say I have never had a harder time getting comfortable in a car before this Focus. My favorite was my 94' Mustang GT... fit like a glove! While I was shopping for a car in 98' before I bought my Mustang, I was actually hell bent on a 4th generation Trans Am with a manual trans... but after finding one and driving it... no way in hell I would have ever got comfortable... the steering wheel was like a foot from my chin after i had to move the seat to where I could fully depress the clutch! LOL.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The ST3 (I think ST2 also) gets you four-way power for the driver--forward and back plus tilt on the back. No memory option though but you can make small adjustments with the power seats though to try to get things just right. It is against your budget, but go get a 2016 model with the 402A package which has:

8-way power driver seat with power lumbar
4-way head restraints

That should do it for ya! Maybe that was available for 2015 or 2014 so you can shop used? Not sure how to look at options for past years, Edmunds maybe via Google...

·
Registered
14 Posts
You say it took you 700 miles to get comfortable... you got power seats right?
Oh yeah, 8-way power seats or whatever...lumbar...the whole 9 yards. That being said, I wasn't talking about getting the seat in the right position, I'm talking about breaking in the actual leather of the seat itself. Once the seats are broken in and start to give a little, they're magnificent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good luck if you decide to do it! I'm 6'3" but with a 37" waist, so my experiences with the Recaros won't match yours. I'll share anyway! I find the seats comfortable for commuting and occasional longer trips. I do get some leg fatigue on long trips, but I fill up when down to a 1/4 of a tank, around 220 mi =/-, so the small tank gives time to stretch. Hopefully the seats will fit you well.

Beyond seats, I think you'll like the HID and cornering lights, and maybe you'll get a rear camera and other goodies? Mine's loaded minus the sunroof and no rear camera as it wasn't available on the '13s. I'm happy with everything: ambient lighting, heated seats, stereo/NAV. Only things I don't like about the car are the crooked hood gap and lack of gasketing under the hood to keep the engine clean. Others don't seem to have a problem but my engine gets crap on it, particularly in winter months with the salt mix on the roads. I have pics of that in an album on here I think.

Oh, what color are you aiming for?? I'm still happy with white. Still looks good after claying, polishing, and waxing recently other than some chips on the front from road debris.
The hood stops on the focus are adjustable just give them a turn until you reach the proper hood spacing and level.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts