Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Yes I do believe there are better ones than others.

The Retrofit Source has been a great resource for me in the past.
HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

It is a 2.5 inch projector.

The projector lenses have different quality levels

The HID's (the bulb) also have quality levels as well. If I had to guess by the images I've seen its a 55 watt 8000K.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any pictures/videos of these lights in operation? I'm curious what these will look like when in use...

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Closest thing we have:

Reactions: Grimm10 and PDX:ST

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks Chad!

This will be my first car with HIDs, so I'm pretty excited.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
8000K are Almost Pure White with a hint of blue.

4300K are yellow. They don't look yellow.. :/

·
Registered
110 Posts
8000K are Almost Pure White with a hint of blue.

4300K are yellow. They don't look yellow.. :/
HID Newb Crash Course
Pratically anything over 6k is really a waste if your at all concerned with your safety and brightness of lighting. So what is the best bulb out there then you ask? 4100-4300k. It has the most lumens out of all the HID bulbs produced. Thats why car manifacturers still use them today.
If you've ever seen an S2000's factory HIDs, they don't look yellow at all... it's not because they are using 8000K bulbs, it's because of the projectors and their cutoff. IIRC, some manufacturers are using 5000k's now because people got used to color-shifted 4300ks, but I don't have a citation on that. But there are zero OEMs delivering cars using 8000K bulbs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
4300k is yellow
5000k is pure white
6000k is white/blue

8000k is straight blue
These are the colors that show in a reflector type headlight.

Don't forget that OEM bulbs are higher quality than all the ebay $50-$200 HID Kit's including the re-branded Phillips Bulbs.
It's all in the quality of the HID kit and the Projector.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had 10k for my headlights on my last focus which were blue and the fogs were yellow. Looked sick! I will be doing yellow fogs on my ST and then change the headlight ones when they go out. People knock the quality of the ones on eBay but that's simply not true. I paid 10 dollars per bulb and never had a single issue, and they survived the car accident when the car was a total loss in a front end accident! Plus almost all of the companies give you a warranty with them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm planning on the ST3 package because it has HID light. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the bulb upgrades but there are better quality OEM projectors out there. Most noticeably are the Nissan/Infinity lights that people use to make those retro fit kits. I'd really like to do something that with the ST!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I LOVE the yellow ones!! I have yellow HIDs on my black Charger and the Focus will too! For both Fog and Mains.

HEY! is there any way that we can get these beauties programmed to have the fogs on with the Hi-beams? I live in an area where it can be a life saver. ( LOTS of animals ) ?

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
I don't want to get into a HID in reflector housing discussing, but I do also have 10,000K bulbs and I think the color is great!.

It is likely that if I don't like the color temp in the ST, I will change.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I LOVE the yellow ones!! I have yellow HIDs on my black Charger and the Focus will too! For both Fog and Mains.

HEY! is there any way that we can get these beauties programmed to have the fogs on with the Hi-beams? I live in an area where it can be a life saver. ( LOTS of animals ) ?
Yes someone will have a DIY for this almost instantly. They always do.

Reactions: Rev.Hammer

·
Registered
331 Posts
They aren't auto leveling, and i don't believe they're bi-xenon. There are still halogen hi beams in the housing next to the projectors.
Not sure about auto-leveling, but the spec sheet claims "Available HID headlamps with LED signature lighting and Cornering Functionality"

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think getting the factory HID lights is definitely the way to go in this case. The factory headlights cannot be adjusted side to side. They are only adjustable up and down. Getting a projector retro-fitted in the housing and getting it aligned would be a huge pain. Stinks that the HID lights aren't a stand-alone option. Would be nice if you could add them to any trim level.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think getting the factory HID lights is definitely the way to go in this case. The factory headlights cannot be adjusted side to side. They are only adjustable up and down. Getting a projector retro-fitted in the housing and getting it aligned would be a huge pain. Stinks that the HID lights aren't a stand-alone option. Would be nice if you could add them to any trim level.
I'm actually surprised HID lights isn't a stand alone option. They have been available on modern cars for more than 10 years. With the ST being in the higher performance category, along side the Focus titanium it should be offered.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts