Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Install Steeda Cold air intake yesterday (shipped to my door two days ealier than FedEx site estimated.) Install from building of new heat shield/removal of old box to new install took approx 1.5 hours. A lot of time could be saved if I were to do it agian. Have contact cement, gasket sealer and loctite on hand. I used a pair of curved hemostat clamps for the o-ring removal. Cramming the factory MAP sensor into the new elbow tube with the "neck" exposed then clamping down the bracket was a bit of a pain. New unit sits in fender at near OEM so super easy there!
Coming from a guy who's only "install" has been a k&n air filter I found it fairly easy...The directions are nicely detailed making things go smoothly. Will post pics. No alarms went off when I took it for a test drive. Crusing with the windows down you can really hear the whine of the turbo and the puff of the BOV. Can also feel the extra kick with it breathing easier now. It came down to the Cobb CAI and this. I felt this was something that I could manage. Despite the extra $$ I think it's worth the ease of install (vs. reaching behind the motor to pull off intake tract from turbo and placing new pipe on....sounded like I could run into issues with that,) Hope this helps folks who are on the fence about a CAI.

·
Registered
768 Posts
How about a sound clip?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pictures too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
In for pictures!

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Pics or ban....:p

Jk. Awesome. Can't wait to see one installed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2013-03-21_10.26.50.jpg

OEM like install Cold air feed bends in such a way making hydrolock unlikely.
2013-03-21_10.26.59.jpg Note use of the MAP sensor with aftermarker elbow. Make sure seal/insertion complete!
2013-03-21_10.27.04.jpg 2013-03-21_10.27.10.jpg
Aftermarker rubber mounting from fender. Plug is used to isolate airflow to a single solid plastic hose.
2013-03-21_10.27.15.jpg
Great job Steeda! First time loading pictures so....

Reactions: Chad and RPhilMan1

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next item is a Steeda Rear Sway bar. Getting delivered Tuesday will install ASAP. Will have post with install pics then

Reactions: Chad

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's my ST with the above mentioned CAI installed. Kinda crappy quality (lovely spring we are having here in Virginia, eh?), but you get the point :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
No, it only replaces the elbow part. It retains the stock tube youre talking about (mine has a heat shield on it as well) that runs down to the turbo inlet. Hopefully someone will make a replacement for this, as I'd like to replace it as well. I think COBB's does, but I don't think they sell just that piece.

·
Registered
532 Posts
^exactly
My plan is to buy that piece from FSWerks at some point since I already have the Green Filter installed.
The pancaked stock intake tube is the biggest constraint with the stock set up after you install an aftermarket filter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You the man Joe, that one slipped through the cracks on me.

Annnnnd they're on backorder :(

·
Registered
650 Posts
Glad I could help! And yeah, I called a few weeks ago when I ordered mine and they are flying off the shelves faster than they can stock.

For the amount of orders...where the hell at all the modded STs? It's great to see this amount of business for the FSWerks crew! They've been in the Focus game since the beginning and it's good to see they didn't miss a beat jumping into the ST market.

·
Registered
862 Posts
And yeah, I called a few weeks ago when I ordered mine and they are flying off the shelves faster than they can stock.

Same goes for COBB's entire intake. I pre-ordered mine and still don't have it. Guess they have a massive backog. I have the filter already, but went with COBB's as it pipes all the way to the turbo, and I will likely need another filter at some point anyway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ian, for the Steeda intake you need to push the MAF through pre-drilled holes in the silicone elbow, and then loctite it once the O-ring clip is pushed all the way through. I just needed loc-tite, not the cement or gasket sealer. Oh, and sheer "get the f*** in there!!!" determination haha.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Same goes for COBB's entire intake. I pre-ordered mine and still don't have it. Guess they have a massive backog. I have the filter already, but went with COBB's as it pipes all the way to the turbo, and I will likely need another filter at some point anyway.
I'm not sure if you are thinking the FSWerks kit doesn't go all the way to the turbo, but ours does. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just out of pure curiosity, what are these items for?

Ian
The contact cement you use optionally for reinforcing the hold of the foam liner that lines the heat shield on the top of CAI. Loctite is useful for the Allen screw that holds that mounting bracket for the MAP sensor after it is through the elbow tubes predrilled hole. Gasket sealer goes between mounting bracket and inside of elbow tube to prevent leaks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts