Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My first experience with Steeda and it was a good one! They have exceeded my expectations with their great customer service and with this product.

Since we all like pictures, let's get straight to that...

Good packaging , uses stainless steel countersunk screws.
P1020679.JPG

Follow the detailed directions to "pop" the cable off. I had an interior panel removal tool which worked well for this.
P1020680.JPG

The block can only fit one way!
P1020681.JPG

The handy tool I used. Don't drop the screws! Used an allen key to torque, 5/32" FYI.
P1020683.JPG P1020684.JPG

Cable installed. Check shifter function for sticking or binding. Mine was fine, but I bent the isolator bracket for the cable a little bit with a pry bar so the cable would lay in the new location on it's own. This probably wasn't necessary, but I felt better taking some stress off the cable.
:!!:
P1020686.JPG

Time to measure.
P1020685.JPG Steeda_STSB chart.jpg

So, how does it feel?? BEST $89 I'VE EVER SPENT. Now, I installed this at the same time as the e-focus RMM, but this little bracket provided a huge reduction in throw! Maybe not the 35% Steeda advertised, but how cares. Trust me, the reduction it made, ~32%, is huge and I wouldn't want it any shorter. I'm actually having to get used to how short it is :)

Everyone wants to know if there is an increase in the shifting effort. The simple answer is YES. This is simple physics, you shorten the lever arm used to engage the gears, result, less movement, AND increased effort. BUT, it's really not bad. I shift a lot and it's not a deal breaker here, just a necessary result of having such a great reduction in throw.

All you people on the fence, I hope this helps!!!

GREAT JOB STEEDA!!!

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
894 Posts
Nanda - thanks very much for this great info. I ordered one over the weekend, and can't wait to install it.

I've found the shift from 5 to 4 sometimes a little difficult. I'm hoping this will help make it easier, although replacing the bushings is probably what I need to do. I like this bracket option because you don't have to tear open the center console. I just know I'd end up breaking something.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Might be the route I take.
Downloaded the instructions for the full kit.
Too much grinding, also I read a review that had the highest setting for throw and didn't need grinding.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Excellent write up - I'm really impressed with the before and after data. Well done! Hardly anyone thinks of before...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Very nice write-up Nick. Thanks for this post.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks for posting! If Steeda doesn't require it, I suggest a few drops of some 242 Loctite on those bolts. Would suck to have them loosen up!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting! If Steeda doesn't require it, I suggest a few drops of some 242 Loctite on those bolts. Would suck to have them loosen up!
Steeda says that in the instructions. I used blue Loctite on my install and one of the bolts goes through the block and have a nylock nut.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ah, awesome.

A side note, Loctite will eat the nylon out of a nylock nut. Only use one or the other, never both.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So any follow up after a few days of having it? I'm probably leaning towards just the bracket instead of the bracket+shifter but I want to make sure I'm making the right choice!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, after driving it all week my initial excitement has diminished. I'm actually debating going back to stock. My main issue is that the shifter feels very knotchy now. Also the shift effort is pretty high compared to what i remember from stock. One theory I have is that the e-Focus RMM is partly to blame but I installed them together so I don't know. Did anyone notice the shifter feeling knotchy-er or higher effort after an RMM install?

But still I go back and forth. Sometimes I say "it's not that bad." Other times "I miss the stock feel" I think I would be happy with half the reduction. Funny thing is I'm half tempted to buy the Steeda shifter, put that on the shortest setting and not use the bracket. Idk. Ask me again in another week...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I installed just the bracket today and took it around the block. the throw is significantly reduced, but with that did come a slightly more difficult and notchier shift. So far I don't mind it, but just a warning that it is noticeable.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Did anyone notice the shifter feeling knotchy-er or higher effort after an RMM install?
I have the cp-e RMM and it does not require any more effort to shift. In fact, it could be easier since the engine/transmission is not bouncing around so much. That is my perception...hard to quantify.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So another day, another change of heart. I'm getting used to the increased effort and will probably stick with it. I need to drive in some bumper to bumper traffic though to be sure.

I also updated the measurement chart, you can see here.

Steeda_STSB chart.jpg

Where I noticed long throws the most with the stock shifter was in the rear gates. So shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th. No wonder because the distance from neutral to those gears was more than 1" longer than 1, 3, 5. One of the best features of the Steeda bracket is that all gear changes are now equal in length and each gear is equal in distance from neutral. Obviously, a lot of R&D went into the design to accomplish this. I don't think it was coincidence!

Tonight I'm going to pull my airbox and have my wife shift through the gears just to make sure there is no rubbing of the cables and shift tower arm on anything else. In the future, a heavier knob or shifter weight might help bring the effort back down, but I think it's fine for know based on the huge amount of reduction. I'm also going to call Steeda to see if adding their adjustable shifter arm too would help improve "feel."

Thanks everyone. Feel free to ask more questions!

-Nick

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've only had my ST3 for a few days, but I was thinking the 2-4-6 gears felt further away than 1-3-5 as well. There are times when I have to sit through some traffic, so I'm a little worried about the extra effort since I eventually got tired of the short shifter on my last car because it needed a good amount of effort compared to stock and there weren't any weighted knobs available.

Also, I actually really like the stock knob. It looks classy and sporty at the same time, while feeling good in your hand so I don't really have any plans to change it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts