Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'll let you know when I have some experience wading through some "good" traffic. I was in some this week, but not for an extended amount of time.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Just did the install today. I have to say, it was more difficult than I had expected. The main issue was that the countersunk screws are facing down, and you have to tighten them with an allen wrench while leaning over the engine.

I would recommend that anyone doing this install have two things handy -- a mechanic's mirror to find where to insert the allen wrench, and a mechanic's extendable magnet, to pick up the allen wrench when it inevitably falls from your fingers.

Also, be VERY careful about pulling out the air box assembly from the grommets holding them. They are in there tight, and I snapped one of the brackets. I've ordered a new lower part of the air box, which surprisingly, is only about $12.00 (unless I've got the wrong part!)

Part No. 9A612 (Air Cleaner Tray).

UPDATE: As others have said, there is definitely more notchiness, but I really like the shortened "back" shifts (2, 4, 6). The shift effort feels increased, but I don't do a lot of stop and go driving, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hello All:

I spoke to our engineering department in regards to your comments ... and this is what they had to say:

ANY time you reduce the shifter throw the amount of effort required to shift gears increases. That can be confused as "notchy" or "tough to shift"

Every consumer will have a different perception in regards to the feel. It is hard to get the same impression from one consumer to another.

Best Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
173 Posts
after driving my STi all weekend with every short shifter / bushing option I can add, I realized I need to shorten the ST throws. Feels like I am rowing a boat!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Hello All:

I spoke to our engineering department in regards to your comments ... and this is what they had to say:

ANY time you reduce the shifter throw the amount of effort required to shift gears increases. That can be confused as "notchy" or "tough to shift"

Every consumer will have a different perception in regards to the feel. It is hard to get the same impression from one consumer to another.

Best Regards,
TJ
Hi TJ,

Sorry if you felt like you had to take our comments back to the engineers and "defend" your kit. That was not the intention of this thread. I was trying to give people a good review for the "feel" of it which is subjective and different for everyone, as you said...

With that, I have this weeks update :D

I'm happy to report the shifting is great now! I don't know if it just took some time to get used to or what, but I also went back in there this weekend and re-checked all the hardware. With this kit, it's very important to make sure you have no contact with the shift cables. I was in there poking around with the bracket that holds the cables and I fixed whatever issue I thought I had.

The shifting is just as smooth as I remember it before, but the throws are so nice and short. The effort is barely any more too. I even had my wife drive it over the weekend and she had no problem with it.

So, as I said in the first post, "BEST $89 I'VE EVER SPENT!"

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hi TJ,

Sorry if you felt like you had to take our comments back to the engineers and "defend" your kit. That was not the intention of this thread. I was trying to give people a good review for the "feel" of it which is subjective and different for everyone, as you said...

With that, I have this weeks update :D

I'm happy to report the shifting is great now! I don't know if it just took some time to get used to or what, but I also went back in there this weekend and re-checked all the hardware. With this kit, it's very important to make sure you have no contact with the shift cables. I was in there poking around with the bracket that holds the cables and I fixed whatever issue I thought I had.

The shifting is just as smooth as I remember it before, but the throws are so nice and short. The effort is barely any more too. I even had my wife drive it over the weekend and she had no problem with it.

So, as I said in the first post, "BEST $89 I'VE EVER SPENT!"

Thanks,
Nick
That's the update I needed to hear before getting this.

·
Registered
894 Posts
"No contact with the shift cables." -- Any chance you have a picture of what you worked on to prevent this? Is there a bracket of some sort that the cable was rubbing against? Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
"No contact with the shift cables." -- Any chance you have a picture of what you worked on to prevent this? Is there a bracket of some sort that the cable was rubbing against? Thanks!
OK guys, now don't over analyze this because I might have created the issue myself.

Now, everyone should look out and make sure there is no contact here at the shift tower arm with any of your hoses. Especially if you ran a JBR OCC like me :D
P1020682_contact.JPG

Specifically for me, I was looking for contact as labeled below. If you look at the pickture here, the shift cable is sitting in it's natural position. The Steeda bracket relocates the ball socket ~3/4" to the right. So I bent this bracket a little to the right to help alleviate any strain from this angle. In doing this, i put the bracket into a close fit with the other shift cable, see the "contact" label below. I open this back up over the weekend. Everything is great now!
labels.JPG

My advise, just install the part as per the Steeda instructions. If it feels really notchy to you, give it 2 weeks, if it still does then open things back up and maybe bend this bracket like I did. It should not feel notchy or hard to engage but you should also give yourself a couple weeks to get used to it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
May help too if you install the bracket and have someone row through all the gears in car while you're under the hood. Good to see if there's any blatant interference issues.

Also, I wonder if removing the shift counter weight would help lighten the throws for people complaining. It was a common mod on the SVT Getrag which made the transmission feel a bit better.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
May help too if you install the bracket and have someone row through all the gears in car while you're under the hood. Good to see if there's any blatant interference issues.

Also, I wonder if removing the shift counter weight would help lighten the throws for people complaining. It was a common mod on the SVT Getrag which made the transmission feel a bit better.
You'd have to cut it off, but that's an idea.

However, the point of the counterweight is to give you momentum to get "through" the shift. It adds effort of course to move it, but the added weight creates momentum help the throw. But now with such a short throw it probably would help decrease effort to remove it...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yup, same with the SVT. It provides the same benefit as a weighted shift knob.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No ... that wasn't my intention at all ... I just wanted to get clarification and pass it along to the members as well. Chad has been in and out of the forums helping with some install questions and I wanted to pass along his information.

Its all good! I am glad you are enjoying the product.

If anyone needs support or need questions answered directly ... please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and say that this is worth every penny. Just installed this last night and I'm very happy with it. A bit of a pain to install but definitely reduces the throw!

·
Registered
532 Posts
currently working with Tim from Steeda to set up a group buy. This is what I got so far...

"I spoke to Glen and he said we could do 10% off the purchase price for the bracket with a flat fee of $10.00 of shipping (not knowing all the addresses at this time, we rounded the number to $10)"

However if you order the bracket on their website, shipping is free. So I am now trying to get the free shipping, otherwise it completely negates the 10% discount...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Took a long trip with this installed, and really like the way it feels. I definitely agree that this is $89 well spent. This mod, combined with the $65.00 e-focus RMM, represent a lot of improvement for about $160.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I drove in some stop and go today. No problems!

Just to add, even better than the great throw reduction is the fact that the throw to all gears is now even. This feels so much more natural than stock!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Uggggh. I really want to wait for the Ford Racing part...but this seems to be getting solid reviews all around. Very very tempted.
It's by no means perfect. The shift effort is increased and it feels heavier. In regular traffic, I actually find myself shifting more deliberately and slowly, because a few times I've had a hard time getting the lever to slot into the right gear. I need to look again at the cables per Nanda's instructions. However, when you're booking, the decreased throw is really entertaining. And I personally like the heavier feel of the shifter, so I'm willing to put up with the "notchiness."

21 - 40 of 65 Posts