Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Uggggh. I really want to wait for the Ford Racing part...but this seems to be getting solid reviews all around. Very very tempted.
I am very tempted right now as well. I feel like I am in the exact same situation as you..waiting for the Ford parts.

Do you think it just makes more sense to spend the little extra on the whole kit instead of just the bracket? Especially with the recent group buy with 20% off?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Uggggh. I really want to wait for the Ford Racing part...but this seems to be getting solid reviews all around. Very very tempted.
For the 00-09 Focus, the FRPP was just a re-branded Steeda shifter. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
For the 00-09 Focus, the FRPP was just a re-branded Steeda shifter. Just something to keep in mind.
I asked them about this when the bracket/shifter kit came out, and they said the Steeda part was not developed with Ford.

For some folks, it may make sense to just take the plunge, but I think I just want the bracket. I like the current shifter height, and it's my understanding that the bracket decreases throw without modifying what I think is a comfy driving position.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am going the direction of the bracket only as well. I really enjoy the position and feel of the stock shifter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The kit is the better value ... even though it is more expensive ... but both are great options.

ANY time you reduce the shifter throw the amount of effort required to shift gears increases. That can be confused as "notchy" or "tough to shift". I just wanted to let you know what you may be experiencing is normal.

Best Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just installed the same bracket on my car this evening. I have to say this is what everyone should be doing who wants a significantly reduced throw. Probably don't even need to waste the time, energy, or money on the interior pieces.

It feels excellent! The throws feel like they are cut in half from stock even though I know its technically 35%.
Its just about perfect.

Like other ppl have mentioned it will increase the shift effort slightly, but honestly not enough to deter from the advantages it provides.

One tip I will provide for people planning to install it: spray the air filter box grommets with a very small squirt of WD-40 to help get them loose without too much drama. Also make sure you have an allen-head socket set. I had to screw the 2 screws in all the way by hand with one of those L-shaped allen wrenches. It took forever b/c you could only turn 1/3 of the way around and then re-position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I posted some of this on the Group Buy thread.

I installed both pieces last weekend. I have driven quite a bit now in city traffic. Here are my thoughts.

Installing the bracket: definitely wd-40 the grommets under the airbox. I know several have broken the tab under the air filter. The install was tedious but easy. It helps to have a thumbdrive allen wrench and a magnet handy. I would also clean the threads on the bracket first to make the long allen bolt install easier.

I installed the bracket one day and drove the car, then installed the shifter: the bracket reduced the throw significantly and made the shifts more even. However, 4 to 5 is a tricky shift.

Installing the shifter: Even though there are only 4 locking tabs holding the cover plate down, there are alignment tabs all the way around. Take your time. I used a dremel to remove the travel tab. It works well, but makes a mess of the lithium grease. Plan to clean the grease off and re-grease. Use a Phillips with a magnetic tip! Use a 90 degree dental tool to unlatch the Plate tabs. You can't get your hands on the rear one without it. Use the vice-grip needle nose for the torsion spring, you WILL drop it otherwise. The stock shifter will come out of the plate, but it has to be "encouraged" a little bit. Reinstall takes a magic act to get the bushings both in place and the reverse lockout at the same time. Keep fumbling, it will go. Spray your bushing with lithium grease after install. I have a December 12 build ST3 and did not have to trim any plastic (other than the travel tab). In fact, the plastic did not look the same as the install pictures. Install was about 1.5 hours. Again tedious, but not hard at all.

Feel: I installed mine on the middle setting. Results were fairly the same as with the bracket. Feel was tighter (notch). Shift from 4 to 5 still is a little awkward, but the rest of the shifts are excellent! Reverse lockout is a little slow to return, but I think I need a little lube on the shift lever slider.

I love the feel of shifting with the new throw and pattern and it feels more solid.

It was worth the $162 for the group buy. Thanks to TJ and Don for making it available.

Jack

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have mine set at the same settings, (the middle) the shortest trow was a little to much for me.
As for the Reverse lockout, I used a couple of washers under the spring in the shift knob, this tensions the spring up tighter, and now the revers lockout works normal again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi all,

My first experience with Steeda and it was a good one! They have exceeded my expectations with their great customer service and with this product.

Since we all like pictures, let's get straight to that...

Good packaging , uses stainless steel countersunk screws.
View attachment 6514

Follow the detailed directions to "pop" the cable off. I had an interior panel removal tool which worked well for this.
View attachment 6515

The block can only fit one way!
View attachment 6516

The handy tool I used. Don't drop the screws! Used an allen key to torque, 5/32" FYI.
View attachment 6518 View attachment 6519

Cable installed. Check shifter function for sticking or binding. Mine was fine, but I bent the isolator bracket for the cable a little bit with a pry bar so the cable would lay in the new location on it's own. This probably wasn't necessary, but I felt better taking some stress off the cable.
:!!:
View attachment 6521

Time to measure.
View attachment 6520 View attachment 6587

So, how does it feel?? BEST $89 I'VE EVER SPENT. Now, I installed this at the same time as the e-focus RMM, but this little bracket provided a huge reduction in throw! Maybe not the 35% Steeda advertised, but how cares. Trust me, the reduction it made, ~32%, is huge and I wouldn't want it any shorter. I'm actually having to get used to how short it is :)

Everyone wants to know if there is an increase in the shifting effort. The simple answer is YES. This is simple physics, you shorten the lever arm used to engage the gears, result, less movement, AND increased effort. BUT, it's really not bad. I shift a lot and it's not a deal breaker here, just a necessary result of having such a great reduction in throw.

All you people on the fence, I hope this helps!!!

GREAT JOB STEEDA!!!

Thanks,
Nick
Hey Nick, a question for you. What is the name of the "handy" tool you used in place of the allen key? I may try this install this weekend if the bracket gets delivered by then.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Installed the shifter bracket today, and to echo others sentiments, the install was a pain in the arse. I had a tough time popping off the shifter cable socket because I didn't know just how hard to push down on the rubber center of the cable socket and how hard to lift up with the screwdriver. Of course it didn't help seeing the Steeda instructions say in Step 4 "!!!This is a delicate/difficult step!!!" or essentially, don't screw this up! Also, screwing the bolts through the bracket was a painful affair. Probably total time spent was 1.5 hrs., which is probably an hour longer than it should have been with someone who knew what they were doing.

I rowed through the gears (engine off) and it definitely seems more "notchy" and a bit more vague in terms of knowing where the gears were, but I'll have to see how it feels when actually out on the road. Definitely improved on shortening the throws.

·
Registered
233 Posts
After a day in the car with the shifter bracket, I have to echo Nick's sentiments that this is def worth the $89! Really like the reduced throws, and I can't say the increase in shifting effort is that significant.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The kit is the better value ... even though it is more expensive ... but both are great options.

ANY time you reduce the shifter throw the amount of effort required to shift gears increases. That can be confused as "notchy" or "tough to shift". I just wanted to let you know what you may be experiencing is normal.

Best Regards,

TJ
Hey TJ, does the Steeda Complete kit change the shifter hight? I'm used to the shifter in my old 128i (very short, very low), and I can't get used to the hight of my ST shifter. Folks here are saying that they are going for the bracket only because they like the hight of the factory shifter. Does that mean that the Steeda kit lowers the shifter hight? That would be nice!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Purchased the complete kit. Installed the Tri-Y first in the console. Went with the most aggressive setting and don't regret it one bit. The total combined throw reduction is estimated at 44% with both parts installed. That puts the shifter at about 15% (the Ford Racing PP version is 18% but costs circa $400) the plate is up to about 30% I have to admit installing the shifter took 5 years off my life, but I did it and could do another one now in half the time. I test drove it through all the gears ranging from 0-90ish MPH, no issues, just shorter throws! I didn't notice any difference in the height of the shifter. I need to do the plate next.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts