Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Installed the plate last night. I already have the Steeda CAI, so removing it to get to the work area took less than 2 minutes. I took the advice of one of Steeda's technicians on the phone a few days ago, about threading the countersunk bolts into the two pieces ahead of time. It sort of worked if you did the shorter one first and slipped the assembly over the area annotated in the instructions. Taking off the ball joint was very easy. I used a hole punch at first but switched to a Phillips head screwdriver, because the hole punch was too small and punctured the cap. Pushing down with the P-H Screwdriver and using a pry bar (for removing door panels / clips) from underneath, the assembly easily popped off, no issue. The pain of this installation was my big meat hooks attempting to fit in the very limited space while tightening the two bolts from underneath the assembly. I could partially use a 1/4 drive with thumb wheel and 25 star socket to get the longer bolt started, but had to eventually take off the wheel, then eventually use just an Allen wrench (star 25). Tightening was a pain with the socket due to the hoses having to be held back with my wrist while I held it in place and turned the tool to tighten in the limited area. When it was 1/2 way in, I dropped some lock tight from above so it would seep into the threads as I tightened the rest of the way. Next, I tightened the small bolt. I had to use the A-Wrench for this one. It took me about 5-10 minutes but it tightened up nicely. I also placed a couple drops of lock tight in that hole before it was completely tight. I went back to the long bolt , that now is sticking up through the top plate. I wiped the tip off of the Lock Tight, and threaded the nut. Using the A-Wrench fom the bottom, and a 1/2 inch drive from above, It tightened up very easily. I reconnected the arm on the new ball position, and BINGO! No binding, rubbing, or friction. I reassembled the CAI, cleaned the area, and took my trusty steed for a test drive.

Results: Dramatic reduction from when I just added the part in the interior console. With both plate and shifter installed, The feel is totally new. It reminds me what I remember driving an M5, Viper, or a 930. Maybe slightly "stiffer" ( this is only an initial feel though getting used to it) , but I feel as if it is more precise (without play or lateral motion). The Objective was met: Extreme throw reduction. I don't even care what the percentage it actually is, I don't think it could be any shorter...

Well don Steeda, Thanks

Hope this helps others....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Wife gave me the Steeda STS kit for Christmas! Installed the bracket 2 nights ago, easy install. Made a huge difference on its own and feels great! Super happy with it. Can't wait to install the shifter next. I know it's been said 100 times over but this is a part every enthusiast should get for their ST. :yay:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
A hack saw, needle nose vise grips and a Dremel Tool make this job much easier. I used a hack saw first on the plastic block with the concave that needs to be removed, then finished the other areas needing trimming back with the dremel. I recommend getting some additional L-Grease for the new ball on the end of the new shifter. The smaller sized needle nosed v-grips will make the worst part of this install (in my opinion) 100 times easier.

Good Luck!
 
61 - 65 of 65 Posts
Top