Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone went with the stock 16" steelies from another focus model for a winter tire/wheel setup?

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
They have to be OEM wheels or they won't clear the calipers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I did, but I haven't put them on the car yet. I was going to before Christmas, but then I got hit. :(

I'll post how it goes when I finally do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good, thx. I figure Pennsylvania winters get pretty rough and with all the road crud on your wheels, why bother trying to keep those pretty after market mags clean. Just picked up a set of 16" steel wheels from a 2012 focus that wrecked with the pressure sensors still on. I have not heard of anyone going this way for winter wheel setup, thought I was only one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds good, thx. I figure Pennsylvania winters get pretty rough and with all the road crud on your wheels, why bother trying to keep those pretty after market mags clean. Just picked up a set of 16" steel wheels from a 2012 focus that wrecked with the pressure sensors still on. I have not heard of anyone going this way for winter wheel setup, thought I was only one.
The wheels on mine are from a 2012 focus also. No sensors though the guy transfered them to his newer wheels before I bought them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
251 Posts
My 16" Ford steelies are on as of this morning's commute. No problems at all. Tire Rack balanced them with the rim clamp style weights, so no interference issues. We aren't predicted to have snow until this afternoon, so I can't tell you how the tires work in the wet stuff, but they felt great on the damp road this morning.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How did this discussion get posted in the Fiesta ST Suspension and Wheels section? None of the discussion so far is about Fiesta ST, which vehicle isn't expected to arrive at dealers until September at the earliest.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Huh. It either got moved, or the thread really was started there and none of us noticed. Oops.

Maybe an admin can move this thread to where it belongs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have my Fiesta ST and am looking for some winter wheels also. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions. We were thinking about hitting the local junk yard and pulling some wheels off the base model Focus to see if they will fit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday and was going to buy steelies for winter. Was then told I'm not allowed because it voids warranty from ford. They say the need to be an open rim to vent the breaks? But come oon... It's winter? They really going to get that how? They say ford recommends the black rim with polished face that are on the base focus. The 17s for winter.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday and was going to buy steelies for winter. Was then told I'm not allowed because it voids warranty from ford. They say the need to be an open rim to vent the breaks? But come oon... It's winter? They really going to get that how? They say ford recommends the black rim with polished face that are on the base focus. The 17s for winter.
Odd, says nothing like that at all in the the ST supplement section about wheels and tires. In the supplement it does say in black and white on page 17 the recommended size on the ST for Tire Chains is P215/55R16. This is the exact size of the standard steel wheel on a focus, and while tight, it does fit as long as external wheel weights are used.

Sounds like another case of dealers making stuff up again, and saying things will void warranty even though they will not. I would bring in a copy of the supplement, and ask them to please show you in the tire/rim section where it says 16" steel rims will "void the warranty", because it doesn't say that. In fact, the ST spare tire includes a 16" steel wheel already, would be odd for Ford to put a spare tire that "voids the warranty" wouldn't it?

Edit: Whoops, thought this was for the Focus ST, Fiesta ST might be a little different.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If this is for the Fiesta ST then the owners guide supplement says the following:

USING WINTER TIRES
The original equipment tires on your ST
vehicle are designed for maximum
performance in dry and wet summer
conditions. They are not designed for
winter use on ice or snow and cannot be
used with snow chains. Ford does not
recommend using the original equipment
tires when temperatures drop to
approximately 40°F (5°C) or below
(depending on tire wear and environmental
conditions) or in snow and ice conditions.
You must use winter or all-season tires if
you will be operating your vehicle in these
conditions.
• Even with clear, dry driving conditions
do not operate your vehicle above
posted speed limits or perform high
speed maneuvers with winter tires.
• Do not use tire chains on the original
wheels and tires of your vehicle. The
use of any type of tire chain on these
tires may damage your vehicle.

The following table lists acceptable tire
sizes for winter tires. Tire speed and load
ratings should match those of the originally
equipped tires as closely as possible. If it
is required to fit winter tires with a speed
rating less than the original equipment tires
(to fit snow chains, for example), be aware
of the maximum speed rating for the tire
and never exceed.
Compatible Snow Tire and Wheel Packages
Tire size Required wheel
205/40 R17 Original equipment ST wheel or equivalent
Owner supplied. See your Ford dealer for
suitable wheels from the Fiesta lineup.
195/45 R16*
* Required size to prevent vehicle damage if snow chain use is required
Please call the Ford Performance Info
Center at 1-800-FORD-SVT (367-3788)
for specific winter tire recommendations

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting. Now do the Focus and the Fiesta have the same size brakes? I assume they have the same bolt pattern.

My daily is a 1991 Daytona Shelby, which has 11" brakes front and back. The stock wheels are 16", but I'm able to run 15" wheels for my snow tires. Being as the Fiesta has similar sized brakes, I was hoping a 15" wheel would also fit that car. According to the spec sheets on Tire Rack, the 15" equivalent to the current 17" tires' OD is 195/55/15, which ironically is the stock size for the wheels on her Honda Fit Sport that the Fiesta is replacing.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Interesting. Now do the Focus and the Fiesta have the same size brakes? I assume they have the same bolt pattern.

My daily is a 1991 Daytona Shelby, which has 11" brakes front and back. The stock wheels are 16", but I'm able to run 15" wheels for my snow tires. Being as the Fiesta has similar sized brakes, I was hoping a 15" wheel would also fit that car. According to the spec sheets on Tire Rack, the 15" equivalent to the current 17" tires' OD is 195/55/15, which ironically is the stock size for the wheels on her Honda Fit Sport that the Fiesta is replacing.
Minimum tire size for the Fiesta ST would likely be 195/45 R16 with 4x108mm wheel bolt pattern, while '12+ Focus uses 5x108mm wheel bolt pattern.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Minimum tire size for the Fiesta ST would likely be 195/45 R16 with 4x108mm wheel bolt pattern, while '12+ Focus uses 5x108mm wheel bolt pattern.
This ^^. Although the 2000-2011 Ford Focus, 1995-200x Contour, etc also shared the 4x108 mm bolt pattern.

·
Registered
22 Posts
195/50 R16 with 4x108mm bolt pattern, 6x6.5J steel wheels would be a perfect match for Fiesta ST in winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a set of rims and tires from tire rack. Total for everything was about $850.00. I decided to get actual rims instead of steel rims. Figure I will have the car for several rims, I might as well spend the extra so I don't have to look at the hideous steelies every year..

Here is what I got:
195/55R-15 General Altimax Arctic snow tires
15x6 Anzio Light Bright Sil rims.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts