Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had planned out any kind of upgrades for the stereo yet? I'm getting an ST3 primarily so it'll be good enough and I won't need to put money into upgrading it. But I was wondering what other people had planned for the stereo in their new ST.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'll wait and see how the Sony stereo is first.

But installing a bigger sub would always be fun. Anyone have a picture of where the sub is installed on the Focus hatch? I know for the sedans it's just on the right side of the trunk. I'd assume it's the same.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Is the upgraded Sony unit the same as it is in other Foci? If so, what's the word on how "good" it is? I'm old, so I like accurate reproduction over SPL machines. Historically Sony has been on the wrong side of that see saw from me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I only preordered 200A, and I plan on fully gutting the system, replacing sync, replacing front door speakers and maybe backdoor speakers and probably just getting 1 12" sub. :thumb:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm always looking for a well balanced sound, I don't want the bass to overpower everything else. The premium stereo in my 09 Focus has been good enough for the past few years so I don't expect to have to replace anything on the new system. I also don't know what stereo oem was used on the 09 Foci, it might have been something different than Sony. There's no branding on it so who knows. But Ford has a history of using Sony stereos so I wouldn't be surprised if that's whats in my current car.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I've heard it's "decent" but nowhere near as good as the other Sony systems in Ford's lineup. It's too bassy, the highs are bright to an almost painful level and it has poor imaging and detail.

That's why I've already put together a list of components I'd like to eventually get for the Focus (Note: Emphasis on SQL. I am not a "boom boom" person) This would be a two year project simply because, well, it's incredibly expensive... but I've been spoiled by good sound (I have a cambridge audio/paradigm system at home) so it'll be hard to deal with the Sony stereo.

So, this is what I've decided on. (Keep in mind that I mostly listen to progressive rock/metal and I cherish a perfectly neutral sound, so the sub I went for is more for accuracy than power...)

Signal Processor (pretty important because I'd imagine the EQ curve of the Focus is like a roller coaster):
JBL MS-8

Front Speakers:
Focal K2 Power 130KR

Rear Speakers:
Focal Performance PS 130

Center Speaker: (to be powered by the processor)
Focal Performance PC 100

Amp:
Focal FPP 5300

Sub:
Focal Utopia Be® 21 WX

I'm planning a sub box to be integrated where the stock sub box would be. If all goes according to plan, it should look a lot better than the cheapo plastic box they use with the sony system. I'm going to map it out in pro/e this weekend.

The price I'm aiming for, installation and everything, is around $4250

·
Registered
241 Posts
I thought the 10speaker sony system was alright in a titanium but could be better. I like quality sound. Getting an ST3, think I am going to wait and see how well the stock Sony system does for a week before I invest in a serious upgrade. From many reviews I've read it makes the system sound better if you disconnect the 'center channel' in the front dash.

My current "wish-list" (links are to crutchfield for technical data but amazon pricing):

JL Audio 5 channel 700w amp - $420

Boston Acoustics SR50 - $219 a pair ($440 to replace all door speakers)

8" Subwoofer - looking for suggestions. Would like something that fits in the existing enclosure. Not a lot of info on this in my research. But from what I guestimate a $100 sub might suffice.

Sound Processor - I can't seem to decide if I need one or not. I think the amplifier I have listed may handle some of it so I'm unsure if I should look at a processor. Hoping for suggestions!

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
And all that will integrate? I am sorry but I have not much knowledge of ICE
If you didn't look under the trunk mat you'd never know it was upgraded. In fact, I believe that the box I'll make will look even more factory than that cheap sony box in the trunk, lol

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I worked at Best Buy a loooooooooong time ago doing car audio installs so I may be a little rusty but yeah I'll be doing it all myself

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been rocking stock sound systems in used cars my whole life so an "alright" Sony system will be a big enough upgrade to keep me happy for at least a few years.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a 2012 Titanium now and like others have said, it's ok but not terrific. Doesn't quite go loud enough for me when Lizzy Hale belts out her screams in Slave to the Grind. The sub is far better than other stock systems I've heard but still, kinda weak and highs seem distorted even when set on low to mid bass. The door speakers are clear at lower volumes but rattle with higher volume. I've also ordered an ST3 so I hope it'll be better that the Titanium but I think it's the same system :( Never been a huge fan of Sony but oh well, I'm buying this for the engine more than the sound but will eventually get a better sub and amp to handle my rock better!

1 - 20 of 144 Posts