Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's everyone with the look of the stock ride height, wheel clearance etc. For me, I don't mind it, in some pics it has looked a little higher than others and who knows from the prototypes what will be the delivered look? I hope it doesn't come like the GTI which looks like a 4x4 at stock ride height and really needs to be lowered just from a styling perspective.

I've never understood the crazy fender/wheel clearance requirements on cars, it makes so many sporty cars look like crap. My '98 Mustang GT looked ridiculous at the stock ride height and had to be lowered just to make it look decent. I used crappy springs and ride quality suffered which I don't want to go through again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it looks pretty decent, if I recall though the original concept had 19's?? not positive, but when I seen the ST at the NYC auto show It seemed as tho there was a slight bit more wheel gap then I remember? It did look good and to all there own, but I wouldnt mind seeing it with a bit of a lower stance over stock.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Stock ride heights are almost always a compromise. If you like the look of lowered cars (and it sounds like you do), I'd expect the stock height to be too high. The good news is that I'm sure FMS an other aftermarket companies will offer lowering springs or coilovers. Depending on the details, the ride quality may suffer for it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yeah, originally, Ford said the ST would have 19" wheels. My guess is, Ford got rid of them because during testing they decided that the 19" wheels would hurt the ride and turning radius. 18" is just fine for me.
Ford only lowered it by 1cm over the stock model, just enough to emphasize the styling and large wheels. I think that was a good idea. Remember, the ST isn't a machine that's just for track days. It's great for filling up with groceries, or friends for a road trip. But mash the pedal, throw it into a turn, and it'll come to life. The ST has to be good in both worlds, and that means making it fun to drive for everyone. That also means not dropping it to ridiculous levels where you avoid speed bumps and small potholes for fear of having your spine hammered constantly. I think Ford found a good balance between the two.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Besides, they've gotta leave something on the table for the Ford Racing Parts catalog... I'd expect lowering springs to be among the very first stuff to be offered in the FRP catalog. Heck, there's an FRP lowering kit for the 2012 Focus that drops it 1" (2.5cm), which is lower than a stock ST.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Besides, they've gotta leave something on the table for the Ford Racing Parts catalog... I'd expect lowering springs to be among the very first stuff to be offered in the FRP catalog. Heck, there's an FRP lowering kit for the 2012 Focus that drops it 1" (2.5cm), which is lower than a stock ST.
Completely agreed :thumb: Moar Low!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love the look of that would be awesome getting mine that low!

·
Registered
742 Posts
That is just about right! That really cleans it up... hmmmmm.....airbags anyone?
'bags are posers... static is where it's at! j/k... if quality, handling oriented airbags are an option, I'd consider them seriously (depending on cost).

·
Registered
338 Posts
How's everyone with the look of the stock ride height, wheel clearance etc. For me, I don't mind it, in some pics it has looked a little higher than others and who knows from the prototypes what will be the delivered look? I hope it doesn't come like the GTI which looks like a 4x4 at stock ride height and really needs to be lowered just from a styling perspective.

I've never understood the crazy fender/wheel clearance requirements on cars, it makes so many sporty cars look like crap. My '98 Mustang GT looked ridiculous at the stock ride height and had to be lowered just to make it look decent. I used crappy springs and ride quality suffered which I don't want to go through again.
Snow chains.

Fender well gap keeps you from tearing your fender innards and lips off with chains.

Ride height is a compromise between ride quality and the ability to go over speed bumps and intersections without tearing your oil pan out, etc.

Wheel well gap is to ensure clearance for snow chains.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts