Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Why would you even suspect such a thing?!

·
4,009 Posts
I'm not. I thought you were dead serious in your question and concern. Couldn't imagine not trusting the dealer at such a level

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That would be one shady brazenly dishonest move by a dealer. If my dealer tried to pull anything like this on me I'd leave in a second, telling him exactly where he should put the car. :!:

Oh yes, there would be much yelling.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well Ford's actually made a big deal about the ST being released with same tires in all markets. So the dealer would have to be really stupid or really hard up to switch tires on you. I think you're good. ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not. I thought you were dead serious in your question and concern. Couldn't imagine not trusting the dealer at such a level
I was but it was the way you structured your sentence. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic and I didn't know if you had the same mistrust with a dealer as I did.

·
4,009 Posts
I was but it was the way you structured your sentence. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic and I didn't know if you had the same mistrust with a dealer as I did.

No, and if I didn't trust the dealer, I sure as hell wouldn't buy a car from them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
235/40/18 Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2's
Does anyone know how these tires do in cold weather? I understand they are a summer tires, but I can't justify a new set of tires on a new car because the temps here get down into the teens. I don't plan on driving in the snow with the new Focus ST, (have 4X4 for that) but the car is cheaper to drive than the truck.

·
4,009 Posts
I the owners manual it says that they are not intended for snow use. I think it also mentions that cold temperatures negatively impact the handeling of the car due to the compound.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You do not want to drive summer tires in teen Fahrenheit, even when it is dry.

Krzys
It wouldn't be any worse than all-weather tires in summer. ;)

Seriously, though. I have no idea about snow, but there's no reason you won't be able to drive the Goodyears in teens weather in the dry. You just won't have as much grip.

Just like when its 114F outside, you won't have very much grip...for long.

But its not like you'll be on ice. It just takes a lot longer for the tires to get to temp.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It wouldn't be any worse than all-weather tires in summer. ;)

Seriously, though. I have no idea about snow, but there's no reason you won't be able to drive the Goodyears in teens weather in the dry. You just won't have as much grip.

Just like when its 114F outside, you won't have very much grip...for long.

But its not like you'll be on ice. It just takes a lot longer for the tires to get to temp.
Some of the tire manufacturers even say you shouldn't store summer tires at that temperature. If you look at the C&D comparo on summer tires that includes our goodyears they show cracking that can be caused by low temperature storage (let alone use). It's not even close to what all seasons are like in the summer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm still trying to find out if cold temps degrade the tire faster or have an overall loss in grip in the cold. Anyone have a case study or good article on this? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. My guess is that summer tires have harder compounds although won't damage the tire you will reasonably have less grip.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I'm still trying to find out if cold temps degrade the tire faster or have an overall loss in grip in the cold. Anyone have a case study or good article on this? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. My guess is that summer tires have harder compounds although won't damage the tire you will reasonably have less grip.
It gets harder and more brittle. It certainly can damage the tire in addition to being unsafe as grip is dramatically reduced. Why do you think the tire manufacturer says not to use them in near freezing temperature or store bellow freezing. They designed the tire and know what they are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
It gets harder and more brittle.
I imagine this was the case but with proper warmup you should be able to maintain integrity or mitigate degradation.

Why do you think the tire manufacturer says not to use them in near freezing temperature or store bellow freezing. They designed the tire and know what they are talking about.
Not entirely, they also still want to be profitable. :p But like I said, I would like to see some graphs or some analysis on it because I like facts.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Some of the tire manufacturers even say you shouldn't store summer tires at that temperature. If you look at the C&D comparo on summer tires that includes our goodyears they show cracking that can be caused by low temperature storage (let alone use). It's not even close to what all seasons are like in the summer.
In regard to the winter temps, I'm sure you're correct. I'm ignorant to anything but basic driving in below freezing temps. Although we always have summer tires on our cars, and have certainly driven (even at the track) in freezing temps with no immediate ill effects on summer tires. That doesn't mean I didn't degrade them faster. But that was relative in my case. Once I heated up summer tires in freezing temperatures, they operated just fine, though not optimally. Although the optimal operating temperature for summer tires is *unbelievably* narrow.

My comparison to all-season in brutal heat was to emphasize the lack of grip and quick degradation of the tread. Because I don't know HOW the summer tire degrades under load in freezing, I can't say for sure. But I can say for sure that all-season tires on 140F+ asphalt temps go to pieces quickly, chunk out, overinflate and even melt away and flat spot under much lighter duress than summer tires. They get greasy in no time at all and have almost worse-than-fresh-rain grip after overheating.

All tires are subject to these problems, but all-seasons are much worse.

They simply can't hang under true duress.

Summer tires will have softer compounds, in order to heat up more quickly and provide better grip. Because of this, they also heat cycle more quickly.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts