Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Stock Tires

14K views 71 replies 20 participants last post by  jthj 
#1 ·
Anybody know what tires the st comes with?

#4 ·
Why would you even suspect such a thing?!

#6 ·
I'm not. I thought you were dead serious in your question and concern. Couldn't imagine not trusting the dealer at such a level

#13 ·
I the owners manual it says that they are not intended for snow use. I think it also mentions that cold temperatures negatively impact the handeling of the car due to the compound.

#15 ·
It wouldn't be any worse than all-weather tires in summer. ;)

Seriously, though. I have no idea about snow, but there's no reason you won't be able to drive the Goodyears in teens weather in the dry. You just won't have as much grip.

Just like when its 114F outside, you won't have very much grip...for long.

But its not like you'll be on ice. It just takes a lot longer for the tires to get to temp.

#17 ·
I'm still trying to find out if cold temps degrade the tire faster or have an overall loss in grip in the cold. Anyone have a case study or good article on this? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. My guess is that summer tires have harder compounds although won't damage the tire you will reasonably have less grip.

#18 ·
It gets harder and more brittle. It certainly can damage the tire in addition to being unsafe as grip is dramatically reduced. Why do you think the tire manufacturer says not to use them in near freezing temperature or store bellow freezing. They designed the tire and know what they are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 · (Edited)
The softer compound of summer tires turns hard as temperature drops. All season stays flexible.

There is no car tire that works in all conditions well.

Summer tires on snow will be like ice skating however there are different flavours of snow. I suspect slush may be handled better as sumemr tires usually evacuate water (a fluid) quite well. My Hankook Evo V12 handled October snow better than I expected.
I think dry snow and summer tires will be a disaster.

Krzys

#24 ·
There is no car tire that works in all conditions well.

Krzys
This is true. All-season tires are worse than winter tires in the winter, but better than summer tires. All-season tires are worse than summer tires in the summer, but better than winter tires. All-season tires seek to compromise "best of" performance in specific conditions, for mediocre performance in all conditions.

#33 ·
Thank you for the advice Eric on swapping between sets. I live in the Cincinnati metro area which we usually see around 2ft of snow a year and average lows are below 32F for approx 3months.

#35 ·
You near Erlanger? Spent some time there in the past with family. Sounds chilly to me, and definitely beyond the scope of my knowledge/experience.

I think the general recommendation is not to use summer-only tires below 50 degrees F. If you took it easy around corners and allowed extra room for stopping, you may be able to use them at somewhat lower temperatures. Although I agree if you only have a couple of days in the teens, its probably not worth investing in winter tires, but I would not drive on them either if it was that cold. Take another car, walk, bus, have a friend pick you up, or stay home. This is especially true if there is any possibility of rain, snow, or ice.
Down here, this is the biggest deal. Not just for yourself, but for everyone else (that doesn't know how to drive in these conditions) that might be out as well.

The low temps we see here (certainly sub-50F for extended periods in January and February, but rarely freezing during the day) aren't really a problem once the tires are warm, and alternate transport on those days isn't necessary.

But yeah, you guys would laugh your heads off at drivers here when it ices or snows (the latter is very rare).

#34 ·
I think the general recommendation is not to use summer-only tires below 50 degrees F. If you took it easy around corners and allowed extra room for stopping, you may be able to use them at somewhat lower temperatures. Although I agree if you only have a couple of days in the teens, its probably not worth investing in winter tires, but I would not drive on them either if it was that cold. Take another car, walk, bus, have a friend pick you up, or stay home. This is especially true if there is any possibility of rain, snow, or ice.

#36 ·
From the ST Owners Manual supplement posted online:

WINTER DRIVING
The original equipment tires on your ST vehicle are designed for
maximum performance in dry and wet summer conditions. They are not
designed for winter use on ice or snow and cannot be used with snow
chains. Ford does not recommend using the original equipment tires
when temperatures drop to approximately 40°F (5°C) or below
(depending on tire wear and environmental conditions) or in snow/ice
conditions. If you will be operating your vehicle in these conditions,
winter or all-season tires must be used.
• Even with clear, dry driving conditions do not operate your vehicle
above posted speed limits or perform high speed maneuvers with
winter tires.
• Do not use tire chains on the original wheels and tires of your vehicle.
The use of any type of tire chain on these tires may damage your
vehicle.

#37 ·
Seems very reasonable. Especially the disclaimer about tire wear and environmental conditions, which loopholes most of us down here. Sunny and 39F isn't going to be an issue.

When it gets to about 36F daytime all the late model cars' warning lights start yelling at you and freaking out anyway. :)

#44 ·
While the author of this article rants forever about the difference in wet traction between all season and summer wet grip, when you get to the last couple of paragraphs he spells out using summer tires in freezing weather. When I lived in Denver, I didn't have a car worthy of UHP tires and all seasons worked fine. A guy I worked with had stock UHP tires and had little to no tracking at freezing temps. He went out and bought snows the first day he couldn't get out of his driveway from frost on the pavement.

I live in Minnesota now and have successfully used UHPAS tires without issue. This year will be the first I will have dedicated winter tires, Dunlop SP60's. Note, the DP60's are not snows and have a 60k treadware rating. The SP60 is a Winter tire. It had reviews almost as good as the Continental DWS for winter snow at tirerack. Assuredly it won't handle like a DWS, but I don't drive like I shouldn't in inclement weather.

Hope this helps.

Tire Review - Weighing Summer vs. All-Season UHP Tires

#45 ·
The article is sound based on my experiences as well. And the guy certainly is more than qualified to comment on the situation. Sounds a lot like what we've concluded. Snow/ice/frost for long? Get winter tires. Freezing and dry/sunny? Probably not a big deal.

Although for all you permafrost peoples, I don't get it. Maybe a summer tire disintegrates from sheer frustration after a certain number of days under freezing.

Certainly running summer tires in sub-40 and higher than 30 temps is not problematic.

#47 ·
Anyways... for anyone interested, I have this issue too, I live in upstate NY in the mountains and intend to drive the car for most of the season... so from day one I'll be changing tires and putting the F1's up till spring... my choice so fare are the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires that have a high performance all weather design and still have the W speed rating of the F1's...

#49 ·
Having a mechanical background, I like to have a few more details so I asked Goodyear about the summer tires and this is the replay I got back.

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site and for your interest in trie safety.
The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Goodyear does not recommend using these high performance summer tires when temperatures drop to approximately 40 deg F (5 deg C) or below, or in snow/ice conditions.

Barbara
Consumer Relations

#51 ·
The same disclaimer from Goodyear that's in the manual, and no doubt generated by the legal team. :)

Not saying it isn't wise to be careful, but they have to cover their rears in case some idiot sues them because he's been driving in sub-zero temperatures and doing smoky burnouts because its easier and a tire goes and runs him into a telephone pole.

If I'm on my way home from work and it hits 37F, the tire isn't suddenly going to crack to pieces and fly apart, though.

To be fair, there has to be a cutoff somewhere. Legal probably checked with engineering and then formed the policy, which was on a quick FAQ that "Barbara" C&P'd into an e-mail.

Ah...am I to cynical?

#52 ·
Okay, without the snow factored in, this is Summer. Here, that temperature range is referred to as the "dead of winter" and summer tires work just fine.

Once you enter snow into the equation, then I bow out, because I'm an utter idiot on any kind of driving in snow. Have done it a few times (Sacramento, Durango, Tahoe), but would prefer to stay far, far away.

#55 ·
40 degrees! We hit that in October.

On the go via Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.