Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to drive my car today. And it seems the tachometer values are about 1k RPM over where they should be. (Idle is 2k, 2k shows 3k, etc.) Operation of everything else seems to be normal on the dash.

Has anyone seen this? I haven't taken it into the dealer yet.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That is odd...could be a bad gauge or the gauge isn't "zero-ing" properly.

My mom's car has an oil pressure gauge that shows crazy pressures since the needle broke loose and spins on the shaft a bit. Every 10 times the car ignition is cycled it becomes right.

The engine isn't actually doing 2k at idle though, right?

Edit: Good to hear it is fixed for now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This situation happened to me, I was messing around with my buddy in his MS3 and I had bad wheel hop under full throttle and my Tach stuck at 2500 I was like WTF. So I cruised up to the next like revving the crap out of it and the RPMs shot [past redline so agian WTF. When I got home I was hoping this would work and it did shut off the car so it could do a gauge sweep and it worked. I have never expirienced the situation again but I also have installed mounts since then so I don't really have any more wheel hop.

·
Registered
435 Posts
While not a car I know on my Triumph a low battery can cause issues and the ECU to reset and then the tach would be off on its RPMs, happened to me a couple times when I would put my brights on.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you have an earlier 2013 model without the quad-gauge info screen and ST startup logo that might be a good issue and reason to have the dealer perform the software update/flash for the instrument cluster controller (there's a TSB for the info screen not responding after vehicle startup that is posted in another thread). My car hasn't had any type of rpm issues like you saw and it might be a random computer programming glitch/anomaly. The tachometer and instrument cluster should be getting the engine speed info for the tach from the engine controller over the in-car high-speed CAN-bus (communication network) so if it reoccurs and is repeatable it would be pretty easy to do some high-speed data logging of the engine controller rpms to pinpoint if the issue is in the instrument cluster or elsewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts