Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have tinted tail lights? I was thinking about doing this but I'd like to see what it would look like on the ST first (preferably on a PB one)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I will be using plastidip smoke on my taillights this weekend on my tb st2. I'll post when I'm done.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not sure on the percentage. Had MRT take care of it when the car was in for repair work. I believe they just mixed some black and clear together, so I'm betting you'd get the same effect with nightshades. Another option is Lamin-X. They have some vinyl tint sheets that are fairly easy to apply and can be taken off just as easily. Lots of tutorials on YouTube.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Not sure on the percentage. Had MRT take care of it when the car was in for repair work. I believe they just mixed some black and clear together, so I'm betting you'd get the same effect with nightshades. Another option is Lamin-X. They have some vinyl tint sheets that are fairly easy to apply and can be taken off just as easily. Lots of tutorials on YouTube.
These would be the Lamin-X vinyl cutouts, this was early in the morning, so the car has a layer of dew on it:

edit5102013.JPG

Be warned though, they are not that easy to install. These are not your "run of the mill" taillights. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, I would just find the nearest tint installer that is trustworthy. I've done quite a few windows and lights, and these taillights are not easy!

Also, they come solid. I cut the white section out myself.

·
Registered
768 Posts
These would be the Lamin-X vinyl cutouts, this was early in the morning, so the car has a layer of dew on it:

View attachment 8323

Be warned though, they are not that easy to install. These are not your "run of the mill" taillights. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, I would just find the nearest tint installer that is trustworthy. I've done quite a few windows and lights, and these taillights are not easy!

Also, they come solid. I cut the white section out myself.
Dan, when you cut out the white section, did you apply anything to the taillight, or just leave it bare?

·
Registered
768 Posts

It's actually hydrocarbon
Damn....I want this, but I don't see anything on their website. In fact, I don't see anything for Focus ST on their website other than the exhaust???

·
Registered
862 Posts
Dan, when you cut out the white section, did you apply anything to the taillight, or just leave it bare?
Just left it bare. This was actually just a test of sorts, to see how I like the look. Now that I've lived with it for a bit, I've decided to rip these off when they get warn a little more, and then spray them with black and clear. Although I will keep the white portion bare, as it goes well with the OW body. I also bought a small amount to do the small reflectors in the bumper.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Your car is the only one that makes me kinda regret my color choice :(

Thanks! If it makes you feel any better, I actually didn't think the RR ST's looked all that good until MRT had finished yours. That front end is killer!

Reactions: Nex Deus

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just left it bare. This was actually just a test of sorts, to see how I like the look. Now that I've lived with it for a bit, I've decided to rip these off when they get warn a little more, and then spray them with black and clear. Although I will keep the white portion bare, as it goes well with the OW body. I also bought a small amount to do the small reflectors in the bumper.
the reflector cut out on the white car looks awesome!! keep it lol!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Not my pic/car belongs to KK15 View attachment 8321 can't decide on this or tinting the tails all red looks amazing on the brz/frs..
Thanks! This is exactly what I needed. I may do this since it looks so damn good, although I don't think I'll go quite that dark (don't want the cops attention). I'm thinking something closer to what Nex Deus did, but maybe just a little darker.

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Really? There's no canned replacement for that piece, they took mine off and "painted" the hydrographics on. You'd probably have to either come to Michigan to have it done or take off your trim piece and send it to them. :(

·
Registered
768 Posts
Really? There's no canned replacement for that piece, they took mine off and "painted" the hydrographics on. You'd probably have to either come to Michigan to have it done or take off your trim piece and send it to them. :(
ok, thanks. I want their exhaust, so maybe I will knock out 2 birds with one stone.

Reactions: Nex Deus
1 - 20 of 37 Posts