Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because it just ain't right! Posers & beginners need not apply. I've owned a few cars in my day, Most of them said, "Made In Germany" on the VIN tag. These ST's are pure drivers cars! I'm not looking back! Thanks Ford!

I just laugh when somebody buys an M3 automatic cabrio! Why do that?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Because they are a paraplegic? M3, Trans Am, 2 GTR owners in the area all use hand controls on their cars for racing, not just drage racing either. On the most part I agree with you.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'd take a DSG if I was old or somehow could not use my leg to operate the 3rd pedal.

I despise the torque converter.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't care for the DSG in my wife's EOS. Everyone raves about the 2.0t VAG engine with DSG trans, but for everyday driving around town it is annoying. I had the same engine with a 6MT and loved it.

I have yet to drive a Focus/Fiesta with DPS6, but I also hear it is clunky. Maybe in the ST it would make more sense considering the performance oriented audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
903 Posts
I don't care for the DSG in my wife's EOS. Everyone raves about the 2.0t VAG engine with DSG trans, but for everyday driving around town it is annoying. I had the same engine with a 6MT and loved it.

I have yet to drive a Focus/Fiesta with DPS6, but I also hear it is clunky. Maybe in the ST it would make more sense considering the performance oriented audience.

DPS6 has poor programming. It's a DSG but is trying to mimic an Automatic hence it lurches a lot (like a person who jump off the clutch too soon). DSGs can be driven in Automatic mode, but to really have them function right you have to shift yourself.

·
Registered
463 Posts
DPS6 has poor programming. It's a DSG but is trying to mimic an Automatic hence it lurches a lot (like a person who jump off the clutch too soon). DSGs can be driven in Automatic mode, but to really have them function right you have to shift yourself.
Very true, when I manually control the shifting in the EOS, the car is a joy to drive. Just like Drive-By-Wire, I don't like a Powertrain with tons of additional logic between me and the power delivery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With all the innovation & advances in powertrain technologies in the last few years, there seems to be a very aggressive "back to basics" revolt going on, no doubt headed by the J. Clarkson & Top Gear crew. Also, in one of the latest "Fifth Gear" episodes, Tiff Needel gear whipped a Renault into submission in a Fiesta ST hot hatch shootout. To make matters worse, DSG tranmissions are now in medium duty trucks. One manufacturer installed DSG's on their entire range. Try telling a landscaper in a fully loaded dump truck he can't stop on the middle of a steep hill because your truck will roll backward while trying to accelerate!

I'll continue to do my shifting via a clutch pedal & a shift knob with an H pattern on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My two track toys and my Wrangler all have three pedals, but I don't mind an automatic in a car I'm never going to push that hard- see: my wife's E90 328i.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My two track toys and my Wrangler all have three pedals, but I don't mind an automatic in a car I'm never going to push that hard- see: my wife's E90 328i.
Agree!
BTW.. If your screen name is a past car, I had one of those in '97. (Ti Sport) Another drivers car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts