Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are a number of threads on this forum and others mentioning various issues. No good way to know the statistics on occurrence rates, so this isn't an "ST sucks" thread. But it seemed like it would be a good idea to collect possible issues in one place, to form a checklist of items to pay particular attention to when you get your ST.

Feel free to add items to this list, and link back to the main threads where the details get discussed.

- Worm clamp tension on intercooler hoses
---- And radiator hoses
- "Hood gap" height/alignment adjustment
- Rear taillight contact with body / rubbing paint
- Rubber insert for center console cupholders missing (check glove compartment, spare tire cubbies)
- water collecting in doorsills; spilling when opened

What else needs to be checked by a buyer after a new ST rolls off the truck?

·
Registered
894 Posts
This is just based on one post, but you should try the wipers out, to make sure they don't contact the body panels.

Look also for any defects with the paint and scuff marks. (I noticed scuff marks on the gloss black B pillar.)

Check the clock for proper time. (pretty nitpicky, I know, but still...)

Check alignment of body panels - from all angles. (See Rownan's post about his car.)

·
Registered
547 Posts
- Check the clearcoat by running your fingers over each area of the car. Mine has some inconsistent spots that feel gritty on the top of the rear bumper and on left rear quarter. After clay-baring its still there so its a paint issue.

- Note, worm hose clamps can be only be accessed by dropping the under-carriage tray/cover. The tightness on mine were fine for both the radiator and turbo cold-side.

- Ask the dealer what they filled-up with, if you didn't give them instructions. Mine was definitely filled with 87.

- If they are tinting the windows, check tint alignment with upper window edge by lowering each window

Thats all I got!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
- Check the clearcoat by running your fingers over each area of the car. Mine has some inconsistent spots that feel gritty on the top of the rear bumper and on left rear quarter. After clay-baring its still there so its a paint issue.

- Note, worm hose clamps can be only be accessed by dropping the under-carriage tray/cover. The tightness on mine were fine for both the radiator and turbo cold-side.

- Ask the dealer what they filled-up with, if you didn't give them instructions. Mine was definitely filled with 87.

- If they are tinting the windows, check tint alignment with upper window edge by lowering each window

Thats all I got!
How did you know it was 87?

My guy said he was supposed to use mid but would slip and put in premium..... I've already burned that tank and refilled so it probably doesn't matter but still curious as to how you detected it.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts

Chad

·
Registered
547 Posts
How did you know it was 87?

My guy said he was supposed to use mid but would slip and put in premium..... I've already burned that tank and refilled so it probably doesn't matter but still curious as to how you detected it.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk
I put in 93 and I felt the extra horsepowers. Supposedly a 9 HP difference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You mentioned the water pooling in the doors and spilling, I had this happen. What does this mean and what do I tell the dealer?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Another suggestion. Print out or save this picture to your smartphone, and bring it with you to the dealer, when taking delivery, just in case the hood gap on your car is not something you can live with. (I realize it's somewhat subjective.) The attached picture (from NexDeus) is good proof that hood gap really varies, and that it's possible to have a much smaller tolerance between the bumper and the hood.

http://fordstnation.com/attachments/my-st/3065-nex-deus-race-red-st2-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349314908.698653.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
You mentioned the water pooling in the doors and spilling, I had this happen. What does this mean and what do I tell the dealer?
Means nothing - I'm sure it's supposed to do that. My Audi has done that for 11 years and still rust free. I see no problem here.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
- check spare tire area and cubbies under the rear deck for water / dampness after washing or rain. Some hatch seals have been known to leak.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some water is normal. Unfortunately, this is one of those things where it's hard to know what "excessive" would be. But the problem I've seen mentioned involves a lot of water, enough to get inside the car and wet the carpet.

In one case, there was a screw plugging a drain.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
On the way to the dealer right now to check it over and pick it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will give a report on how it fares on the PDI with the list I pulled from these posts.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts