Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the opportunity to get a fully loaded titanium hatchback new for $23,000. It's got me seriously considering not getting an ST. I have until 4/2 to decide (for $2500 in rebates). The same day as the ST should be available for preorder.

Pros: about $5k cheaper and better gas mileage, can get it NOW.

Cons: power, unique look

I don't consider the handling to be much of a pro for the ST. The titanium handling package is way more than you will use on the street anyway.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Looking at your rides, I'm sure you'll have no problems with a lack of power ;)

I think the pros outweigh the cons for you, especially considering the insurance savings and the fact that you'll probably get a lot more features (23k is unreal for a loaded titanium!). I'm not sure I'd put "unique look" in the cons. IMO, the wheels on the Titanium Sport are incredibly good looking, and the front fascia is still pretty aggressive with the tinted tail lights. The only thing that would suck is the fact that you'll have to deal with the powershift... (unless you're getting one of the illusive manual titaniums). Also, the regular Focus isn't exactly a slouch in the power department... (at least with the manual, since it's the only one I've driven)

In the end, it's your decision, but I think in your case, the Titanium would be the better buy.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I've got the opportunity to get a fully loaded titanium hatchback new for $23,000. It's got me seriously considering not getting an ST. I have until 4/2 to decide (for $2500 in rebates). The same day as the ST should be available for preorder.

I don't consider the handling to be much of a pro for the ST. The titanium handling package is way more than you will use on the street anyway.

What do you think?
I've been thinking along the same lines lately. With X-plan and the huge rebates they are offering on the Focus it is becoming a more enticing deal. I think I'll wait until April 2nd and after we head to the NYIAS.

It's a tough decision and Ford isn't helping by keeping back new information. Yes, the FB page keeps saying 'soon' but they've been saying soon since last September when the testing videos were released. I really don't have an answer for you. I can't say either way. It's what you really want. Figure that out and you'll have your answer.

Remember, the ST won't be available until September. That's 6 months!

·
Registered
47 Posts
It is starting to become difficult to keep waiting and waiting. I'm still committed to an ST, but the temptation to get something right now is definitely building.

I think I actually disagree on the uniqueness of the Titanium, I've only seen a small number of them compared to the other models. I do live in a smallish town though.

You can always get the cheaper Titanium and add power, looks, whatever it is you want. You'll probably end up spending less money to get that car and modify it than you will for an ST. Plus available tomorrow if they already have the car on the lot!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've waited since mid 2010 for the ST and Ford doesn't seem to care that they are stringing people along. $2500 in rebates on top of A plan makes it very tempting to get the Ti. Sadly you have to take delivery of the car to get the rebates on the same day (coincidence?) the 2013 should be available to preorder. If I wait, I could get screwed out of the Ti deal. Damn you Ford!!!

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Or on apirl 1st there could a 5000 in cash incentives...... To make room for the 2013's :).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New incentives won't come out until April 3rd. If I wait too long, I risk the chance of there not being a blue fully loaded Ti on any dealer lots. The whole handling of the ST by Ford is really making me lose interest.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meh, the Recaros don't do much for me. I could take 'em or leave 'em.

The Msrp's might be a few grand different, but you arent going to get $2500 in rebates on the ST anytime soon. Realistically, there's going to be about a $5k price difference. $23k for a fully loaded Ti or $25k for a bare bones ST. I'm guessing$27.5-$29k for a loaded ST with A Plan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've waited since mid 2010 for the ST and Ford doesn't seem to care that they are stringing people along. $2500 in rebates on top of A plan makes it very tempting to get the Ti. Sadly you have to take delivery of the car to get the rebates on the same day (coincidence?) the 2013 should be available to preorder. If I wait, I could get screwed out of the Ti deal. Damn you Ford!!!
Agree with you. Whats hard to figure out is that its not like they are building a new car from the ground up. The base platform is in full production, the ecoboost 4 & 6 cylinder are already used in production vehicles and in the ST its not especially radically tuned. There is no use of the fabled Revo knuckle suspension. Bolt in Recaros and minor interior mods.

Personally I think there is just not a whole lot of R&D being spent which is causing the delay. The money is being spent on the Plug in Electric Focus. Well for that matter Ford is coming out with many new/updated models so the ST is just not high on the list of priorities. Finally, it (ST) just isnt going to make a whole lot of money for Ford

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well 4 grand under what the Titaniums go for is a great deal (not sure how the dealer is making money on that) but if your content with a really nice Focus with a standard engine go for it, but for me I've been waiting for a performance hatch from Ford for years and were almost there so I will wait a couple more months. It's hard to choose when all the details are not even released yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agree with you. Whats hard to figure out is that its not like they are building a new car from the ground up. The base platform is in full production, the ecoboost 4 & 6 cylinder are already used in production vehicles and in the ST its not especially radically tuned. There is no use of the fabled Revo knuckle suspension. Bolt in Recaros and minor interior mods.

Personally I think there is just not a whole lot of R&D being spent which is causing the delay. The money is being spent on the Plug in Electric Focus. Well for that matter Ford is coming out with many new/updated models so the ST is just not high on the list of priorities. Finally, it (ST) just isnt going to make a whole lot of money for Ford
You are absolutely correct about the R&D. The main reason the ST is a 2013 and not a 2012 is that Ford had major production issues at start up. I'm just so annoyed with Ford over the ST. I can only speculate that the main reason they have not released pricing on any of the 2013 Focus's is that they plan on having the 1.6EB available. I would guess 2012 orders would drop considerably if people knew the more powerful and more fuel efficient 1.6EB was available on the 2013's.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Honestly it's all just business.... Think about what you are saying. Ford has a better chance to maximize profits by being secretive and seeming sluggish. Why would they announce the ST until the end of the 2012 model year? Same goes for the mustang.

My thoughts are this, you might have buyers remorse with the ti. If you know that you really want a ST, then wait. If you know you can live without it..

Bam! There's your answer. :!:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly it's all just business.... Think about what you are saying. Ford has a better chance to maximize profits by being secretive and seeming sluggish. Why would they announce the ST until the end of the 2012 model year? Same goes for the mustang.

My thoughts are this, you might have buyers remorse with the ti. If you know that you really want a ST, then wait. If you know you can live without it..

Bam! There's your answer. :!:
I don't see how looking inept will help maximize Ford's profit. They should be trying to build the hype for the car and have it peak just before launch. Instead you have the excitement from the 2010 prototype showing, then a lul, then it goes up again when the production version is shown, then another lul. It's like Gran Tourismo 5 for PS3. That game was so hyped and delayed so many times that it could never live up to the hype, and people lost interest in it by the time the game finally launched. You want the hype to build, not have peaks and valleys. You also don't insult your customers by setting up a facebook page and only give lame answers about your product.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't see how looking inept will help maximize Ford's profit. . . .
I agree with this part of your statement. However, with respect, your description of the source of the ineptitude is not correct.

The biggest indication of ineptitude on the part of Ford would be to get this car wrong. They cannot, under any circumstances, get this car wrong if they are going to make money on it. The marketing has been abysmal, I'll give you that. But consider how much worse it will be if the ST comes out with problems. If it gets panned in the press and by enthusiasts like us, then not only will the ST not make money but it will reflect poorly on the entire Focus line.

If they build the hype perfectly for a car that severely under performs that hype, it will be much worse than delivering an astounding car with lousy hype.

Let them get it right! Let them take the time. I'll wait.

Darth Understeer

May the Downshift Be With You!

·
Registered
104 Posts

What do you think?
My opinion.

The most important reason to go with the Focus ST. Quality 6 speed manual transmisison beats any automatic, any day.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and see what I can find out about the ST that we don't already know. I want the ST, but the Titanium is making more sense at this point.

My opinion.

The most important reason to go with the Focus ST. Quality 6 speed manual transmisison beats any automatic, any day.
Maybe in fun, but not necessarily performance. I'd take a dual clutch with paddle shifters over stick.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts