Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yow everyone!

I'm a 22 year old steel worker who is looking to make his first BIG purchase. Right now i've been drooling over :!!: the 2013 Focus ST but also have had these on my mind...

-08+ Honda Accord Coupe V6
-Subaru WRX
-Volkswagen CC
-Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
and now the
-Dodge Dart

I'm looking for a daily driver that will last me years to come. I'm not really looking into modding the car, I already have a motorcycle to fly on and I ride dirtbikes so my speed is satisfied with them. What i really want in a car is something that is appealing, reliable, good value, mildly fuel efficient and not too common on the road.

I will be able to get the A plan (Z plan?, he's retired) through my grandfather who worked at a Ford Plant for many years.

I'm concerned with how durable this ST is going to be. I may need some reassurance that this car will be a great one and not something that will turn into a money pit.

What kind of life expectancy do you think we can assume with these engines/cars??

I'm also interested in the Fiesta ST but don't know when that is coming into production.

-Joshua

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you are ready to buy now, don't worry about any car that might be coming out some time in the future. If you want a car that is a balance of practicality, performance, features, and looks, then get the ST. With proper care, you should get a minimum of 150,000 miles from the ST, probably more.

·
Registered
693 Posts
^^^^^exactly what he said. Any car now a days will net ya at least 150k, its a matter of which one can u put up with for that long.

·
Registered
908 Posts
^^^^^exactly what he said. Any car now a days will net ya at least 150k, its a matter of which one can u put up with for that long.
I got my last car up to 220k (and it was a Chrysler!), I'm expecting the ST to beat that.

And compared to all the other cars on your list, I think the ST will be the least common. The Dodge Dart is in a price range where it'll be selling like crazy (e.g. Chevy Cruze, those things are everywhere!), and I really don't feel like the car is that special. Accords are everywhere, WRX's are pretty popular, CC's aren't more expensive than any other option (so I'm curious as to how much you want to spend), and I personally don't really like Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The only car in your list I'd consider would be the WRX and the only reason would be your location if AWD is helpful in the winter. Like Unreal said they price, quality and performance is hard to match. That triangle of price, performance, and durability, the ST seems to be pretty unbiased.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree with others that they should all last you a fair amount of mileage. At least 5-7 years without major issue, depending on your driving habits and mileage. Maybe more.

But as far as which is right for you? None are or will be "rare" vehicles. You may see more of one or another where you live. I'd say the Accord is particularly ubiquitous, but maybe not in that trim (dunno, I don't pay much attention to any Hondas on the road except the CRZ, which makes me shed tears for the ignored potential).

The answer? Go drive them all. Depending on where you live, go get rides in them at a ride/drive/track event (if allowed). The ST is close enough to us that if you scheduled it last on your list, you'd have a pretty good idea of your favorite cars and dealers by the time you were finished. Plus, you can now say you've driven them, know a little more about late model cars, and should have fun shootin' the breeze with the salespeople and just driving.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The answer? Go drive them all. Depending on where you live, go get rides in them at a ride/drive/track event (if allowed). The ST is close enough to us that if you scheduled it last on your list, you'd have a pretty good idea of your favorite cars and dealers by the time you were finished. Plus, you can now say you've driven them, know a little more about late model cars, and should have fun shootin' the breeze with the salespeople and just driving.
Yes, this. Before deciding to get the ST, I tested a bunch of other cars. Cooper S, GTI, WRX, and even a Juke (I was wandering around the showroom and the dealer just handed me some keys...).

After finally driving the ST, I'm very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Part of me believes that after the 2008 market fallout, the auto companies along with every other industry started making the longevity of their products shorter. It would just make sense for them to do that, they don't want to make a car that's going to last a million miles, that means less money for them...it's just sad that it could possibly come to that, but I'd honestly think they're dumb to not do this.

I got my last car up to 220k (and it was a Chrysler!), I'm expecting the ST to beat that.

And compared to all the other cars on your list, I think the ST will be the least common. The Dodge Dart is in a price range where it'll be selling like crazy (e.g. Chevy Cruze, those things are everywhere!), and I really don't feel like the car is that special. Accords are everywhere, WRX's are pretty popular, CC's aren't more expensive than any other option (so I'm curious as to how much you want to spend), and I personally don't really like Mitsubishi.
My '93 Ford Probe manual had 198k on it's original clutch before the head unit shorted out and burned all electrical wires up. Mechanically the car still runs. I do live in Buffalo new York so we do typically have nasty winters except last season. I survived with the probe but not without getting stuck a good few times over the course of 4 years.

The WRX does appeal to me but I'm not sure if it's worth the worse gas mileage and extra price of insurance.

I want to spend as little as possible but definitely get my money's worth. At the moment I have a decent income of almost 50k a year and I feel like I should get the nice car while I have the money for it. Part of me wants to get another beater because that's my father's ideology.

Yes, this. Before deciding to get the ST, I tested a bunch of other cars. Cooper S, GTI, WRX, and even a Juke (I was wandering around the showroom and the dealer just handed me some keys...).

After finally driving the ST, I'm very happy with my decision.
How are you able to drive one already? Are you in Europe or something? The Ford dealer I went to had no clue about a Focus ST.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
869 Posts
How are you able to drive one already? Are you in Europe or something? The Ford dealer I went to had no clue about a Focus ST.
Jack went to one of the Ford Marketing Performance Driving Academies.

Also, is there a way to turn off the GD Tapatalk label when you (not you specifically, but you generally) use it?!

It makes me insane with how annoying it is. Tapatalk and Apple are eating up more bandwidth every day with useless (to anyone but them) free marketing spam tags, I swear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jack went to one of the Ford Marketing Performance Driving Academies.

Also, is there a way to turn off the GD Tapatalk label when you (not you specifically, but you generally) use it?!

It makes me insane with how annoying it is. Tapatalk and Apple are eating up more bandwidth every day with useless (to anyone but them) free marketing spam tags, I swear.
Not too sure, I just downloaded it because I was definitely overdue and seeing that this forum implemented it pushed me even more. I was thinking about looking but I'm not too concerned with figuring that out at this point. We can just erase it because it's at the bottom of our post but that is a few more buttons I have to press lol :confused::banghead:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not too sure, I just downloaded it because I was definitely overdue and seeing that this forum implemented it pushed me even more. I was thinking about looking but I'm not too concerned with figuring that out at this point. We can just erase it because it's at the bottom of our post but that is a few more buttons I have to press lol :confused::banghead:

No biggie. You're far from alone in that. lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I figured it out so I got rid of it. Tapatalk is much easier than using my default browser tho!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have to make a comment regarding "not to common on the road".

The ST is just another model variation of the Focus. Yes it has different front facia and a mildly different rear facia compared to the non turbo versions of the Focus but it is going to be seen as just another Focus which is very common. To 99% of the folks on the road the ST badge won't mean anything and the different front and rear, if noticed, will be racked up to model year changes.

For the ST to be looked at by the masses as uncommon and unique it would need something on the lines of an in your face scoop, wing and/or graphics.

If you really want something that will be perceived as uncommon a WRX would be a better choice. If a sporty car vs performance car is the goal a non turbo version of the Focus, a Dart, Cruze or any other of the sea of C-segment cars will fit the bill and give you even better economy than the ST.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ATX Eric said:
I follow the ST Forum on Forum Runner and there are no adds. Another Forum I follow on Forum Runner does have adds. I also use TapaTalk for several forums, the same thing, some have adds others don't.

It's not Apple or the App developers but is the owners of the Forums and how they implement them. Someone has to pay for the equipment necessary to host these forums. If its free for us to use then we will have live with adds from advertisers that pay for the forum to exist.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to make a comment regarding "not to common on the road".

The ST is just another model variation of the Focus. Yes it has different front facia and a mildly different rear facia compared to the non turbo versions of the Focus but it is going to be seen as just another Focus which is very common. To 99% of the folks on the road the ST badge won't mean anything and the different front and rear, if noticed, will be racked up to model year changes.

For the ST to be looked at by the masses as uncommon and unique it would need something on the lines of an in your face scoop, wing and/or graphics.

If you really want something that will be perceived as uncommon a WRX would be a better choice. If a sporty car vs performance car is the goal a non turbo version of the Focus, a Dart, Cruze or any other of the sea of C-segment cars will fit the bill and give you even better economy than the ST.
Oh yeah I understand that it's just a focus and that most people would laugh at us for considering buying a close to $30,000 Focus too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Personally, I don't care about the price because I'm buying a truly fantastic car that's NOT foreign. Can't stand a single Asian car and can't afford the nice German cars so this 30k Focus is much more than a Focus to me. Providing it really is as impressive as everyone says then the price tag is well worth it. I'm sure you'll be able to get 7+ years out of this with proper maintenance no problem! Hands down the best bang for your buck as far as all around performance and practicality.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I follow the ST Forum on Forum Runner and there are no adds. Another Forum I follow on Forum Runner does have adds. I also use TapaTalk for several forums, the same thing, some have adds others don't.

It's not Apple or the App developers but is the owners of the Forums and how they implement them. Someone has to pay for the equipment necessary to host these forums. If its free for us to use then we will have live with adds from advertisers that pay for the forum to exist.
Not referring to banner ads, but the auto sigs at the bottom of outgoing messaging, be it "Sent from Tapatalk" or "Sent from my iPhone" or whatever. I might understand Tapatalk wanting to spread the word for a free service, but Apple has no excuse. And it is absolutely Apple that does this as a default from i devices, not any app developers. I think we're talking about two different things.

I'm a-okay with banner ads and even sponsored links to break up posts. I just hate them embedded in real content. Very invasive.

·
Registered
869 Posts
FWIW, 'round here, WRXs are very common, as far as performance segment economy is concerned. YMMV depending on your locations. I'll see more BMW 335s and STis in any given day than Chevy Cruzs. But everyplace is different. None of them are particularly unique in regard to actual production numbers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts