Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone worried about it? Supposedly the problem with the ST, will be fixed when the RS comes out next yr.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Between Torque Steer Compensation and Torque Vectoring, I highly doubt it will be a problem in most situations :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm not worried about it, the Electric steering is compensating for probaly 95% of the torque steer on the ST. Ford said they left some torque steer in on purpose but whatever the reason there will be a little. And from what I've read the last RS had a ton of torque steer so I wouldn't count on it being better than the ST. If they do eventually release an RS in the US I'd expect it to have more torque steer than the ST not less.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
No reason to worry about torque steer. Anyone who has driven the ST knows that it is a non-issue. And the small amount it has helps keep things lively -- No one likes a dead feeling steering wheel.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not worried about it, the Electric steering is compensating for probaly 95% of the torque steer on the ST. Ford said they left some torque steer in on purpose but whatever the reason there will be a little. And from what I've read the last RS had a ton of torque steer so I wouldn't count on it being better than the ST. If they do eventually release an RS in the US I'd expect it to have more torque steer than the ST not less.
The design of the revo knuckle on the Focus RS makes torque steer non-existent.

As for OP, get a gym membership if you are worried about your turbocharged fwd car torque steering.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Not true at all. The Revoknuckle helped with torque steer, but it was still present. In a Top Gear segment, Clarkson demonstrated that by takin his hands off the wheel and flooring it. The RS veered to the right.
The electronic system is actually probably better than the physical system, however, it would have less work to do if equipped with the Revoknuckle suspension setup.

Via Tapatalk on iPhone

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Anyone worried about it? Supposedly the problem with the ST, will be fixed when the RS comes out next yr.
I couldn't feel it but I never got out of second gear

·
Registered
358 Posts
At my testdrive i could try als gears :) and yes. there is torque steer. for me as 70HP Fiesta driver it was surprising a lot of steer! but you didn´t feel that anymore after you putted the pedal to the metal sometimes :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
All FWD boosted cars have torque steer. The real question is will you notice it? How bad? Etc.
Not just boosted FWD cars, my 03 Focus with the stock 2.3l 4cyc had noticeable torque steer if you hammered on it hard enough. But yes, biggest question is how much torque steer is there and how much will you notice it.

It also depends on how you drive. If your not driving aggressively the car probably won't generate very much torque steer at all where as if you drive it like you stole it you'll probably be dealing with a fair amount of torque steer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I really don't mind torque steer, I currently drive a 2010 Golf GTI with stage 2 tune on it. The wheel hop is a total buzzkill and even with stiffer mounts it still hops. I hope Ford did a good job handling the movement of the motor and transmission, otherwise it'll be the same story :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
op obvious troll is obvious
Not quite. Just trying to figure out if I want to cancel my order, and go with a mustang GT or a Boss. Thing is, I haven't driven a front wheel drive in probably 15yrs, lol. I first picked the ST, cause of the mileage, but the new GT's get 26mpg. That's a vast improvement from my SRT8 GC which gets about 14mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not quite. Just trying to figure out if I want to cancel my order, and go with a mustang GT or a Boss. Thing is, I haven't driven a front wheel drive in probably 15yrs, lol. I first picked the ST, cause of the mileage, but the new GT's get 26mpg. That's a vast improvement from my SRT8 GC which gets about 14mpg on the highway.
:?: The Mustang GT is a much better performance car with very little practicality and ice/snow handling. The Focus ST is a practical hot hatch able to travel through ice/snow.

If I did not need a practical car able to drive through ice/snow, Mustang GT. I am not sure how to even compare a 5.0L V8 and very good track suspension with a hot hatch.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Could always get the ST and drive it untilt he new 2015 redesign gets announced. The Mustang and the Focus are very different cars with different price ranges. There have been several threads comparing them so I won't get into that here. But if you want to get a GT or a BOSS I can't blame you for that. I just don't want one as my daily driver, my Mustang is the summer toy, not the daily driver. With the ST being cheaper I'm able to afford having a summer toy and a daily driver. Otherwise I'd just have a new Mustang and I'd hate driving it in the winter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think too many people blow torque steer out of proportion. I have over 400wtq....and I have scrawny arms. I probably can't bench press more then 150 (I really have no clue), i probably can't curl more then 15lbs. I can probably do 5 pushups. I don't work out. My arm workout regimen consists of switchhitting when i jack it..... I can handle the torque steer.

So you silly ninnymuggins need to man up!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts