Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

begin this week I figured out I have a problem with my TPMS sensors, I guess.
I have a set of summer weheels and sinter wheels. The original TPMS sensors are in my summer wheels and when I bought a set of winter wheels without the sensors, the car said "check tyre pressure''.
So I bought a set of TPMS sesnors and the garage inported the code from the original set in these sensors and the problem was done. Last winter I didn't had any problems after that.

But last week I changed my wheels, a couple of days there was no issue, but today the warning was back again: ''check tyre pressure''.

I coulnd't find out anything on the internet, but I was hoping some of you could help me out with this.
Is it possible the TPMS sensors or the car forgot the code after 8 months?
Or is there anything else that can cause this problem again?

Hope it is familiar for someone and that there is a solution for this one, because driving around with the light on is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sorry RCP, I'm not sure what would cause this. I swapped between winter and summer setups with TPMS in both and have had no issues with the sensors sitting in the basement for months. Maybe you just need to top off the air all around to about 35 PSI or so depending on the tires? Crazy weather swings have caused an occasional alarm for me (and the car won't say which wheel so I check them all).

Another random thought though: I heard someone with a different car had an issue with his sensors and it turned out to be the sensor in the spare! Maybe try taking out the spare and driving a bit to see if the error goes away? If it doesn't, then maybe you need to have them programmed again or check on the batteries in the sensors which eventually die. Let us know when you can, thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There can only be 4 sensors trained at a time, so it’s not possible to import codes from other sensors, each sensor has its own code and has to be retrained when a different set is installed.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
There can only be 4 sensors trained at a time, so it’s not possible to import codes from other sensors, each sensor has its own code and has to be retrained when a different set is installed.
Interesting, thanks for letting us know. Maybe my Ford dealer retrained the sensors with each seasonal swap. When I mentioned someone I knew who had a problem with the spare wheel in the trunk, it wasn't on an ST and may not have been a Ford even--was just an idea of what the problem could have been. It sounds like our spares either don't have sensors or they would need to be trained to clear the dashboard alert. Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That would be correct, when swapping the wheels out, they would need to be retrained again to have the proper sensor ID’s in the BCM to read properly. I work for a ford dealer, have to train tires daily lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts