Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) You should now see "Training Complete" in the LCD display.

8) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have the trigger tool, but this could be helpful to those that don't. Where did you find this info?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the trigger tool, but this could be helpful to those that don't. Where did you find this info?

Saw it on YouTube. Guy was doing it to an F150 but I tried it on my Focus and it worked great.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Nice find, and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It didnt end up working for me. I bought a tire set from discount tires and they said that it would have tpms sensors in them. The Tires arrived at 50psi. I mouted them and attempted to train the sensors. I released the air pressure till the tire was flat. There was no honk. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a bummer. You sure they have sensors inside them? What do the valve stems look like?

·
Registered
381 Posts
The invoice clearly mentions 4 TPMS sensors. I'm starting to think that maybe they're not compatible with my car? (if that's possible). I'll take some pictures of the stems tomorrow and u guys can see.

Should i have started out at 35psi?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also could not get this to work. I deflated the drivers front tire until it was like 15 or 10 psi and my car honked and it said "training didn't work, try again" How low do you have to go? maybe I just didn't go low enough with the psi.

Heres my stem:

On another note, is this really necessary? Driving with the new snow tires and wheels, I don't have any lights on the dash or anything...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I started my training at 40 psi. It was above 30 PSI on all tires when the horn honked.

If you have no warning lights I'm not really sure if it's necessary or not. On my car after about 30 miles of driving after switching to the winter tires the TPMS light came on. After a while the light would go off but I'm not sure if it went off because the sensors self trained themselves or if it was just giving up on me lol.

That picture of your valve stem does indeed look like a TPMS sensor. Sorry it's not working for you.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
It won't give up / go off on its own. It learned the new sensor.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I installed my winter tires last night without any issues whatsoever. TPMS sensors were ordered through Tirerack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put my tires on tonight, Tire Rack installed the sensor and put the tires on the rims

I expected a light or something but after about 20km of driving... nothing... the tires are at the appropriate PSI so I tried the learning thing at the beginning of this thread... but my car doesn't recognize the procedure.

I do have a Canada market 2014 so maybe something is different with this model?

I installed my winter tires last night without any issues whatsoever. TPMS sensors were ordered through Tirerack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
None of the non-trigger methods seemed to do anything with my 2014 (late August 2013 build)... however the tire rack mounted TPMS have NOT caused the car to throw the light warning yet..... granted I've not covered a couple hundred KM yet but still no light... and my summer tires are in my kitchen right now so they are nowhere near the condo parkade 5 floors away where my key fob stops working on the 1st floor in the elevator...

I've hear a few other people with late 2013 model cars ordering winters from Tire Rack also not having issue with them...

My pressure is dead on the posted door jam level so maybe that is it... I might try lowering it 5-10 psi the next time I am at the gas station to see if anything happens...

either way though I don't get the trigger menu on the dash like some do by doing the trick and hitting the hazzards and no light so who knows how it will go when I head off to work on monday.

I should also note there are not many fords in my condo parkade... I think there is an early 2000's van but that is it so I am not sure why my monitor hasn't thrown a light yet

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Newer TPMS auto program. No need for a tool. When I put my snows on the system automatically connected to the new sensors. When Spring came along and I swapped back again, the system paired with the sensors.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts