Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Oh wow. A 10 cent clip possibly causing the replacement of a several thousand dollar transmission. I'm sure there are a few cases out there that this has happened. If it can happen it will happen I suppose.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That picture looks like a retainer clip for a vacuum or electrical harness.

Interesting timing because I was able to get my car to lock me out of the top row of gears again earlier tonight. While testing out braking on a dirt road after disabling the ABS I did a couple harder stops including in and out of gear. After a few times of no impact on shifting I suddenly was locked out again. And just like in previous times, after getting the car into gear enough to do a 1st gear launch back on pavement with a harsher/faster than normal shift (in what would usually cause the dreaded powertrain bang on a stock mount) it was back to normal.

This weekend I'll have to pull the air box out and take a look around to see if I can spot anything. It also wouldn't surprise me if more than a transaxle or two ended up getting replaced due to poor diagnostic procedures by Ford and something unusual like this but then again until a couple people can confirm something similar there might actually be a few different causes. I'll report back if I find anything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree, it would be very unfortunate if this resulted in transmission replacement, but, misdiagnosis can and does happen, and not just with Ford. I would like to comment that in my case, the issue that is described in this thread was not one that I personally ever experienced. I believed that on occasion I could detect a subtle difference in the feel of the shifter when trying to select first, but I wouldn't swear to it and have no data to support this. My shift linkage and possible interference with the counterweights was investigated very early on, by myself before I took the car in to the dealer way back in early April, and adjusting the linkage was the very first attempt the dealer made to remedy my transmission problem. The entire shift linkage was inspected, and no amount of adjustment would stop my car from jumping out of first gear. Which is one other point that needs to be made, that from what I have read on the forums most if not all of the transmission replacements have been the result of cars that would not stay in gear, not from cars that would not go into gear.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I had a problem with the transax this winter where i parked it in gear (2nd) and could not get it out of gear. I suppose it was frozen because i have had no problems with it since that incident but ive driven all kinds of manual trans vehicles my whole life and have never been frozen in gear before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I've been having the same issues as others here. After some hard braking it wont go into the upper row of gears.
I saw where someone suggested that one remove the drivers side console panel and check the linkage there. How do you do that?
I see where there is a plastic, um, nut??? that pins the forward section down but how do you get the rest out?

Also is the airbox hard to get off? I can check that too and see if there is any issue there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,
I've been having the same issues as others here. After some hard braking it wont go into the upper row of gears.
I saw where someone suggested that one remove the drivers side console panel and check the linkage there. How do you do that?
I see where there is a plastic, um, nut??? that pins the forward section down but how do you get the rest out?

Also is the airbox hard to get off? I can check that too and see if there is any issue there.
I would try looking under the airbox. It would be much easier to remove. Just a handful of screws and removing a few tubes. Then it just pops right up. I would look for anything lodged in the way of the counter weight, like in the pictures I posted.

Make sure the counter weight can be put into all three positions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had been having the same issue where after driving down a bumpy country road, my ST would not shit into the 1st, 3rd, or 5th. It went away after 20 minutes of driving but then happened again for 15 minutes a month later. Then two weeks later (last week), it started popping out of 2nd gear. That lasted for a few days, so I took it in to the dealer. They called yesterday, and said that the transaxle was badly damaged but Ford would be replacing it under warranty. The bumpy road that it all started on really wasn't anything worse than what people drive on all the time, and the three times that things started happening, I was not driving aggressively at all. If anyone starts having these same issues, you should take it in right away. It is covered by warranty, the guy from the service department said that it looked really bad. My car is an ST3 that was built last October.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I had been having the same issue where after driving down a bumpy country road, my ST would not shit into the 1st, 3rd, or 5th. It went away after 20 minutes of driving but then happened again for 15 minutes a month later. Then two weeks later (last week), it started popping out of 2nd gear. That lasted for a few days, so I took it in to the dealer. They called yesterday, and said that the transaxle was badly damaged but Ford would be replacing it under warranty. The bumpy road that it all started on really wasn't anything worse than what people drive on all the time, and the three times that things started happening, I was not driving aggressively at all. If anyone starts having these same issues, you should take it in right away. It is covered by warranty, the guy from the service department said that it looked really bad. My car is an ST3 that was built last October.
Glad you are fixed. Did your service guy give any reason why it looked so bad? Motor mounts have anything to do with it? Did you get mounts replaced with your new trans?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I should be finding out all of the details today. I dropped it off on Tuesday, but all of the needed parts were not in until yesterday afternoon. They said that they hope to have it ready by late afternoon.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
This reminded me I needed to update the thread. I found out the issue on my car a while back and it did end up being the same plastic clip ryanneil posted earlier in the thread. It was getting lodged between the transaxle housing and counterweight and preventing the 1,3, and 5th gears from engaging. I'd suspect that's a different issue than the popping out of gears if it is fully going into gear and then coming out while driving. The only times I had problems with mine popping out of gear was when the cable and counterweight on the trans was binding up and not allowing the shift selector to fully engage a gear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well Im sorry i responded to late we also had a customer with a ts st2 come into our dealership with the same problem at 3500 miles it simply didnt make sense it wasnt going all the way in to gear just halfway and grinding.. suxxx I think this calls for a plastic clip delete thread or a better way to hold the "symposer tube" from moving.. lol kind of a joke

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thread NECRO

One of the main reasons I joined this forum is because of this exact issue and fearing that a new Transmission would be needed. Gonna check this out after work and I think its exactly whats going on! Gotta love Forums, thanks!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts