Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, finally got my Oxford White ST2 in last Thursday and I must say, it was worth the wait. Everything about it is a huge step up from my previous car (as much as I loved the 'lude). Some quick comments:

• Love the push to start, it's so nice not having to worry about fumbling for your keys with your hands full, but does anyone know if the car auto-locks after parking and turning it off?
  • Brake dust everywhere, glad it's supposed to get better once the car's broken in a bit more.
  • 1st to 2nd doesn't seem as smooth of a transition as any of the other shifts, in my Prelude I felt like I could shift directly from 1st into 2nd, but here it seems like it's more of a 1st-click to center-into 2nd. I don't have that issue with any of the other shifts, has anyone else noticed this? Most likely I'm just not used to the new gearbox yet though.
  • I'm not used to having a 6-speed, so for a while I found myself shifting into 6th and then trying to reverse :S
  • The power curve is so deceptive, it doesn't even seem like you're accelerating that crazy fast until you look down and you're going 60.
  • Love the Recaros, as does my gf, but we're both fairly small people.
  • Wish I could control my iPhone music from the iPhone when it's plugged into MFT through USB, I find it easier than navigating on the touch screen.
  • I'm curious as to what my average MPG will be once it normalizes, right now it's showing ~17.6 mpg, but that's with < 100 miles driven.
  • I'm not following any particular break-in procedure, though I will be changing the oil early, probably around 750-1000 miles. I've been getting on it when I get the chance, but when I do I normally shift somewhere from 5-6k RPM, which I've actually heard is a bit faster than shifting at redline. I wonder if I should hit the rev limiter once or twice though so she can become acquainted to it...

I'll be updating this thread frequently with thoughts, but until then here are some photos. I need to order a replacement AC cable for my Vagabond, so I couldn't bust out my lights for a full shoot, but I'll definitely be posting some more once I can get my full set up working again.

(note: to view photos full resolution click on them to go to imgur, and then click again to view large)

·
Registered
28 Posts
nice, I think you've got the only white ST in Hampton Roads...atleast until I get mine
False!

I picked up my white ST on Thursday night as well.

Going to take a day to myself tomorrow to become more acquainted with the car and find some cool places to take some pics.

Nice pics!

What are you going to do about the front plate? I'm thinking of doing the HideThePlate setup.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice mini review but those pics of your car are gorgeous!

Can't wait to get my white ST!

Are you looking to make any changes such as Window tinting, clear bra, new wheels, etc?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
False!

I picked up my white ST on Thursday night as well.
Beach Ford? If so that was me who asked you if you were a member on ST Nation haha. As for the plates, I'm thinking I'm going to keep them on the bracket in the back seat or something and see how long I can go without getting pulled over. I just think the front looks so much better plate-less.

Nice mini review but those pics of your car are gorgeous!

Can't wait to get my white ST!

Are you looking to make any changes such as Window tinting, clear bra, new wheels, etc?
I'm definitely doing tint soon, and I plan on getting some of these once they're available (in January apparently?)

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gar...heelModel=Tarmac&wheelFinish=Gunmetal+Painted

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
nice looking car to answer a couple of your questions. No the car does not auto lock upon exit but if you place your finger on the black spot on the door handle for a second it will lock for you and i have not noticed any diffrence in the 1-2 shifts accept if you hammer on it and speed shift you are going to get a loud thumping from the motor into the firewall first upgrade if you plan on doing spirited 1-2 shifts is a new rear motor mount

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No the car does not auto lock upon exit but if you place your finger on the black spot on the door handle for a second it will lock for yout
Awesome, this was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Beach Ford? If so that was me who asked you if you were a member on ST Nation haha. As for the plates, I'm thinking I'm going to keep them on the bracket in the back seat or something and see how long I can go without getting pulled over. I just think the front looks so much better plate-less.
Yep! That was me.

Loving this car - never thought I'd go FWD after so many RWD and AWD cars.... but this thing is different.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey guys, finally got my Oxford White ST2 in last Thursday and I must say, it was worth the wait. Everything about it is a huge step up from my previous car (as much as I loved the 'lude). Some quick comments:

• Love the push to start, it's so nice not having to worry about fumbling for your keys with your hands full, but does anyone know if the car auto-locks after parking and turning it off?
  • Brake dust everywhere, glad it's supposed to get better once the car's broken in a bit more.
  • 1st to 2nd doesn't seem as smooth of a transition as any of the other shifts, in my Prelude I felt like I could shift directly from 1st into 2nd, but here it seems like it's more of a 1st-click to center-into 2nd. I don't have that issue with any of the other shifts, has anyone else noticed this? Most likely I'm just not used to the new gearbox yet though.
  • I'm not used to having a 6-speed, so for a while I found myself shifting into 6th and then trying to reverse :S
  • The power curve is so deceptive, it doesn't even seem like you're accelerating that crazy fast until you look down and you're going 60.
  • Love the Recaros, as does my gf, but we're both fairly small people.
  • Wish I could control my iPhone music from the iPhone when it's plugged into MFT through USB, I find it easier than navigating on the touch screen.
  • I'm curious as to what my average MPG will be once it normalizes, right now it's showing ~17.6 mpg, but that's with < 100 miles driven.
  • I'm not following any particular break-in procedure, though I will be changing the oil early, probably around 750-1000 miles. I've been getting on it when I get the chance, but when I do I normally shift somewhere from 5-6k RPM, which I've actually heard is a bit faster than shifting at redline. I wonder if I should hit the rev limiter once or twice though so she can become acquainted to it...

I'll be updating this thread frequently with thoughts, but until then here are some photos. I need to order a replacement AC cable for my Vagabond, so I couldn't bust out my lights for a full shoot, but I'll definitely be posting some more once I can get my full set up working again.
Love hearing your take on the ST as a fellow Prelude owner. I am so looking forward to my ST3 this month!

Not sure if your Prelude had modded suspension or not, but how do the 2 compare? I know there is no comparison on the power, but handling was the one thing the Prelude has always had over other cars I've driven.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Great photos. Looking forward in seeing more!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love hearing your take on the ST as a fellow Prelude owner. I am so looking forward to my ST3 this month!

Not sure if your Prelude had modded suspension or not, but how do the 2 compare? I know there is no comparison on the power, but handling was the one thing the Prelude has always had over other cars I've driven.
I had Neuspeed shocks and springs on my prelude which dropped it about an inch, and I'd say that the ride roughness is about the same, but the more supportive seats in the ST make it seem a bit smoother. The ST has a much shorter turn to lock distance, so you spin the wheel much less to make the same angle turn in the ST as you would in the Prelude, but the Prelude definitely has a better turning radius overall. I haven't really gotten a chance to drive the ST on any curvy roads yet (gonna have the chance to do a ton of backroads driving this weekend though so that will change) so I can't really speak as to how they compare in that regard, but I feel like you can throw the ST into much harder turns than the 'lude, simply because of the inclusion of traction control (I had the non-SH 5th gen). I'll report back with a better comparison this weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice ride! I was wondering if there were any other STs in the area. I haven't seen any on the road yet. But I can say the peninsula has zero dealer stock STs and mine is the only ST ordered from my dealer. So I am happy to see others in the area.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just wanted to post an update since I've had more time in the drivers seat:

• The ST is definitely a bit stiffer than the Prelude, but because the seats are more supportive it kind of evens out, I enjoy a bit of road feel anyways.
  • In the same vein, the seats are plenty comfortable for long trips, I was in the car for about 4 hours straight on Sunday and in the Prelude my butt would be getting sore at that point, not in the ST.
  • Been averaging around 26-27mpg with a decent mix of highway and spirited back-roads driving, so I'm pretty happy with that, though hopefully it'll increase even more as the engine becomes broken in.
  • The small gas tank is kind of annoying, I know that I'm getting better mpg than in my Prelude, but having to fill up more gives the illusion of it being worse.
  • This thing grips like hell, I was flying around the backroads and it didn't slip once, even with me pushing it. I'll run out of driving skill before I run out of grip.
  • Does anyone know what all exactly putting the car is Sport mode does? I know it turns off some of the granny systems, but I could swear that the throttle response is better when it's on, can anyone confirm that?
  • Washed/clay-bar'd/waxed it on Sat and it looks pretty damn sexy, the clay-bar didn't seem like it was too necessary because I wasn't picking up many contaminants, but better safe than sorry. There's also the possibility that I was using to much quick-detailer since I've never done it before.
  • ArmorAll Wheel Protectant really does do a fantastic job of keeping the break dust away.
  • Starting to like the voice commands for playing specific music, but I'm not a fan of actually browsing through music on MFT, it seems more dangerous to be screwing around with the touch screen than it would be to just allow me to choose my music on my iPhone.
  • Probably gonna try and do my first oil change in a week or two, has anyone done it themselves yet and know how hard the oil filter is to get to?

Sorry for no more pictures yet guys, I've been pretty busy, but I'll have some more soon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts