Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
LOL love how he changed his post yet the guy right below him quoted it hahaha ugh people and their abilities to not use logical thinking.

Either way I highly doubt the dealer is going to find that post, link it to his car and then tell him no warranty. Good luck getting your car fixed. Hope you get it back soon
If anyone really wants to find something they will. I'm just trying to make it a bit harder ;)

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Don't post about the failure until after. I doubt anyone from Ford is doing that in depth of an investigation. But its good to cover your tracks. You know they will look at the calibration..ect

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Guys, we're all a bit concerned about what happened here. If he had a tune, it would be enough for the dealership to refuse to cover it under warranty. He'd have to pay the repairs out of pocket. Do you really want to do that to someone in the name of impatience?

Now I agree that if he had a tune it's his responsibility to warn others, as well as the company that made the tune. Hopefully he'll do this once he knows more about what caused the issue. The reason I haven't gotten a tune yet is because I'm waiting to see how reliable they are. I'm sure many people are doing this as well. Not only that, but people with a tune are probably very worried about their own cars.
My suggestion, both to him and others is to wait until more information surfaces, and wait until the repairs have been completed and paid for. Until then, it's up to him to decide whether or not to release this information, and I really hope he does the right thing and warns others once be can. Otherwise, that information will come out on its own.

This isn't urgent enough yet to warrant us digging up his list of upgrades just yet, possibly making his repairs much more expensive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Have you heard any more info from your dealership? Was it just a pipe or the turbo?
It was the turbo the shaft bent eating up both sides. Now I'm waiting for a new intercooler and turbo. Sounds like there is a manufacture defect that oil starved my turbo.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
It was the turbo the shaft bent eating up both sides. Now I'm waiting for a new intercooler and turbo. Sounds like there is a manufacture defect that oil starved my turbo.
Turbo is water cooled in the ST.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes its oil cooled normally then on shutdown its water cooled. They are replacing the intercooler cause nasty chunks of the wheel and housing ended up there after the shaft bent.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Ouch. Well at least the problem as been identified and they're working on a fix. Hope this was a very rare issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So you're saying that the turbo wasn't getting enough cooling from the oil, it then heated up, and then its shaft broke due to the heat?

Let's hope this is a quality defect and not a design defect.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sorry if I missed this info, but what was your build date on the car?

Reactions: Dingra

·
Registered
650 Posts
So you're saying that the turbo wasn't getting enough cooling from the oil, it then heated up, and then its shaft broke due to the heat?

Let's hope this is a quality defect and not a design defect.
Usually oil starvation causes the bearings to lose lubrication, overheat and seize. Would be the same if you ran the engine out of oil.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes its oil cooled normally then on shutdown its water cooled. They are replacing the intercooler cause nasty chunks of the wheel and housing ended up there after the shaft bent.
I would assume that the turbo is both oil and water cooled the entire time the vehicle is running. If when the engine is turned off it switched to water cooling that would make zero sense as the cooling system is driven by a mechanical water pump not an electric water pump so upon engine shut down coolant flow stops also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I would assume that the turbo is both oil and water cooled the entire time the vehicle is running. If when the engine is turned off it switched to water cooling that would make zero sense as the cooling system is driven by a mechanical water pump not an electric water pump so upon engine shut down coolant flow stops also.
The water cooling works by using the heat from the turbo to circulate water through the system upon shutdown. Its a passive system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Usually oil starvation causes the bearings to lose lubrication, overheat and seize. Would be the same if you ran the engine out of oil.
Thats what I thought too but the bearings seem to be fine. Unless there was an imbalance from the factory Idk what the real issue was.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The water cooling works by using the heat from the turbo to circulate water through the system upon shutdown. Its a passive system.
Correct. When the car is running the water pump circulates water through the CHRA assisting the oil (which is still the primary way the turbo is cooled) in cooling the CHRA. Upon shut down, oil flow stops in the bearing housing, but water will continue to flow due to convection. This is why a turbo timer isn't necessary on a water-cooled turbo because the heat is removed much faster from the CHRA after shutdown. Quality oil won't coke.

Thats what I thought too but the bearings seem to be fine. Unless there was an imbalance from the factory Idk what the real issue was.
They may have been before, but if the shaft is bent they are definitely trash now. If they still spin freely that's good...but guessing there's excessive lateral and end play.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts