Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So to be clear, while the car is running both oil and water are circulating, so it is not only water cooled on shutdown.
Correct however since the coolant is super-heated when the turbo is up to operating temp the water doesn't actually cool the turbo then.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah the important parts aren't really effected by the water cooling.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. That's like saying the turbo doesn't affect anything when you're not in boost.

Metalworking

Auto part Tool accessory Gear Automotive engine part

You can see where the water passages are there.

On an oil-cooled only CHRA, the passage is filled to sink away heat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well, I wouldn't go that far. That's like saying the turbo doesn't affect anything when you're not in boost.

View attachment 6953

View attachment 6954

You can see where the water passages are there.

On an oil-cooled only CHRA, the passage is filled to sink away heat.
Not saying it does nothing however water at that heat has very little time in location to cool. The passage is primarily there for scavenging heat after the oil stops flowing. The part that is filled in on an oil only K03 holds the heat in directing it back to the compressor wheel and turbine. Just got back from a meeting at borg warner and 3 engineers confirmed this lol.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ha, well I won't argue it further then. Tell him A+ work on the EFR series. I have a 6258 here waiting to go on the fun car :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well not boom really. I was driving down the highway and I started to hear a slight whistle under throttle. I thought nothing of it (thought it might be a loose charge pipe) however, by the time I got home the car sounded like it was making a Guinness world record attempt for loudest kazoo. Making no boost according to butt dyno and boost gauge. Checked the front charge tubes and everything was fine.

Decided then to take it to the dealer cause I couldn't get under it to check the rest of the charge piping. Took it in on Monday and the latest word is its the turbo that is shot. Don't have details more than that but I will ask to see the turbo when I go in next.

Bought the car in November and it only has 7xxx miles on it.
:eek:
Idk when this post was made was looking for something with my car but I had a 2018 do the same thing and my intercooler pipe came off from bottom of car apparently it was loose and blew off while hi rate of speed but luckily nothing happened...sorry if you had to pay out for nothing and hope you got it fixed

41 - 49 of 49 Posts