Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been mentioned in previous threads, but I dont feel like digging around forever trying to figure it out. What turbo is going to be in our ST's?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
has it not been revealed? i thought i remember reading that it was official what type of turbocharger it was. im confused :confused:

·
Registered
147 Posts
It will be lame.....know that. Most factory turbos suck major balls. It will not be efr as people love to dream...more along the lines of efmp ( engineered for mass production)

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Lug wins
It's KO3

here's a transcript of an email I sent to Pumaspeed

Yes and yes
Bit disappointing !!!

Many Thanks for the email,

Tony McQuire
Pumaspeed Performance
Unit 6 Evans Bus. Centre.
Monckton Rd
Wakefield WF2 7AS
Pumaspeed.co.uk
Milltekexhaust.Pumaspeed.co.uk +44 (0)1924 360002

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 06 August 2012 22:25
To: i
Subject: Pumaspeed: Contact Us

Thank you for contacting Pumaspeed with your enquiry.

Greetings from accross the pond. I saw your video of the new Focus ST with
the BOV.
Since you guys have your hands on it already would you let me know 2 things?

Is the exhaust mainfold integrated within the head of the motor?
And is the turbo a Borg warner Ko3?

thanks
And we look forward to your products...eagerly!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah but are we sure that the euro market and the us market have The same design. I know the turbo will be the the same

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Yeah but are we sure that the euro market and the us market have The same design. I know the turbo will be the the same
It a global car. The $$$ sunk into developing and manufacturing a head like that Ford is leveraging that across the board.
You an see that it evolved from the prior versions you posted.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Sorry for the noob question but with the manifold integrated into the head does that mean we won't be able to get aftermarket manifolds?
Yep. That's why some are pretty pissed.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Like it or not, integrated turbo exhaust manifolds will soon be the de facto standard for all new cars. I believe the current Focus RS uses this too, though I'm not certain.

·
Registered
549 Posts
K03!! Bit surprised there. I wonder if there's anything different about it than GTI version? Is is possible it could have larger diameter impellers etc? Or is a K03 just a K03, one size fits all?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Actually I don't know why I really care since I only ever plan to get the equivalent of a Stage1 flash which hopefully will safely add say 40 ish HP.
290 crank horse is all I could stand through a FWD car. Pretty sure the K03 will do 300hp.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
This is very bad news. An integrated exhaust mani! And a sub-standard KO3! Aftermarket is going to suck severely. I may be thinking other options now. This blows...
Sure does. I guess you better stick with your M3S.

Where did you order you ST from? Did you get a good deal? let us know here: http://fordstnation.com/lets-talk-price-leasing-financing/336-2013-focus-st-order-confirmed-post-here.html

You can also track your order here: http://fordstnation.com/f54-focus-st-order-tracking.html

Ill buy it for $2,000
What are you going to buy a 2000 Ford Taurus?

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
He said he might sell it of anyone is interested so I thought i would throw a offer out there
For two grand. Right.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well this is bad news for the gung ho people who are looking to make big power. I still think 300 will be an easily acheivable number. Maybe the manifold is super efficient... An EFR swap may be like changing lego blocks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh my, a fomoco turbo 4 banger with an undersized turbo that spools up stupid early, but dies 2k before redline? Why does that seem so familiar to me? LOL If it is a k03 it will be different than the vw etc., but it will still be a k03, I had hoped you would get the efr. Ford should have atleast thrown a k04 on there, but again Ford is going to use the cheapest route possible to the numbers they want. Why wouldn't they they are trying to make money.

·
Vendor
225 Posts
Guys it is not a K03. Borg Warner does not make a K03 with "EFR" characteristics. It is a Borg Warner EFR turbo that has been custom made for FoMoCo. It shares the internals of the 6258 with the custom integrated hotside and a customized 90 degree turbo inlet. We have a true BW 6258 on our Focus Race Car and another one sitting in a box for comparison. No need to panic, while it won't make a true 440hp, it's still got a lot of oomph left for us to play with, even at stock boost levels!

1 - 20 of 149 Posts