Ford Focus ST Forum banner

221 - 240 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I bought this also I just cant get the 2 8mm bolts from the symposer out did you have any trouble when you took them off
There are three bolts for the symposer on the intake manifold side, not two. With the correct wrench I did not have any problem. I used an open ended 8mm wrench. You can only turn it a little before you have to take the wrench off and reposition it, but once the bolt is loose you can finish taking it off by hand. What kind of problem are you having? If you missed the third bolt, it is a little to the right of the other two bolts, and at a different angle. The third bolt will stay off as you only need two bolts to hold the Breedt plate in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are three bolts for the symposer on the intake manifold side, not two. With the correct wrench I did not have any problem. I used an open ended 8mm wrench. You can only turn it a little before you have to take the wrench off and reposition it, but once the bolt is loose you can finish taking it off by hand. What kind of problem are you having? If you missed the third bolt, it is a little to the right of the other two bolts, and at a different angle. The third bolt will stay off as you only need two bolts to hold the Breedt plate in.
Sorry I worded that terrible i was only able to get the 3rd screw out the one on the right. The two on the underside of the unit i tried using open ended 8mm wrench but it didnt seem to grip correctly like felt like it the bolt was smooth. So just wanted to make sure i was attempting to remove the right bolts. The wrench was new 2 but maybe it was poorly made guess ill try and find another wrench and give it another shot. Thanks for answering question though!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
If you have an angle socket, you could try that to see if it gives you more grip. Hope the bolts are not factory stripped, and that seems unlikely. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Ordered a set of the Rostra high-output (6800 lm) LED projector fog lights.

Got them as part of this group buy for $249.80. Considering the HID headlights on my ST3 are only 2000 lm, these fog lights should be more than three times brighter.

Reactions: Chad

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Since many of you use GoPro cameras, please be aware that if you try to use the latest version of GoPro Studio (v319) with the latest version of the GoPro Hero2 firmware (v312) it will lose the audio during the conversion process! The 319 version of GoPro Studio was released more than a month ago on 30-Jan-2014, so hopefully they will release a new version soon to fix this major bug.

To check the GoPro Studio version, in Windows Explorer go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\GoPro\Tools directory and right-click on the ConvertGoPro.exe file and select Properties, then select the Details tab and check the Product Version entry.

To check the GoPro Hero2 camera version, connect the camera to your PC, turn the camera on, in Windows Explorer open the drive corresponding to the camera, open the MISC directory, then open the "version.txt" file. It should look like "HD2.08.12.XXX" where XXX is the firmware version.

I hope that helps save someone the waste of time I went through while trying to make a new in-cabin stage3 exhaust sound after symposer delete video.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 · (Edited)
While at my local Walmart, I saw a new oil, actually a revised formulation, that I had not previously seen. It is Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus, which is a full synthetic that uses a GTL (Gas To Liquid) base oil. It is derived from natural gas rather than crude oil. I picked up 6 quarts and expect to install it in about 2-3 weeks.

Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Motor Oil w/ PurePlus Technology

Reactions: Stage 2 Steeda ST

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow, great video, very informative. I might have to switch from M1...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Added the entry below to the first post of this build thread:

20-Mar-2014: Did my second engine oil change today at 12,661 miles, 4,846 miles since my last change.

I used a new oil, actually a revised formulation, that I had not previously seen. It is Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus, which is a full synthetic that uses a GTL (Gas To Liquid) base oil. It is derived from natural gas rather than crude oil. Here is a picture I took in my garage of the 5-quart jug (before I exchanged the 5W-20 for 5W-30)...

I plan to have a UOA done by Blackstone Labs on my next oil change to see how this GTL based oil holds up. If you are interested in more information about this new oil technology, check out the Q&A with Pennzoil and their promotional video below.

Pennzoil Q & A: Bob Is The Oil Guy

Technical Data Sheet (PDF): Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 5W-30

The Oil Life Monitor (OLM) did not indicate it was time to change the oil yet, but I changed it anyway and reset the OLM once everything was complete. In case you forgot, put the car in accessory mode (press the Start button without pressing any foot pedals) then hold down the brake and gas pedals until the display indicates the OLM was reset.

During this oil change, I replaced my ramp set and now use the Race Ramps 2-piece RR-56-2. This ramp set is much better than any ramp set I have previously used. Once I have the ST up on the ramps, I remove the lower half of the ramps for better access to the underside of the car, and the incline is only 10.8 degrees (compared to 17 degrees for my previous set).

Since I'm talking about tools, I found my foot/lbs torque wrench was out of range for smaller jobs, so I added a Tekton 24320 inch/lbs torque wrench to my tool set for things like the oil drain plug (and spark plugs) and it works great. Certainly a better quality tool than I expected for the price.

While I was already working on the car, I also installed Denso ITV22 spark plugs to replace the stock ones. The ITV22s came gapped at .030, but I re-gapped them down to .028. To make the plug removal/install process easier, I used this spark plug socket...

CTA Tools 2380 10-Inch Long Magnetic 5/8-Inch Spark Plug Socket

This made the plug change super simple. Since there is no extension on my socket/torque wrench, there is zero chance of the spark plug socket coming loose from the extension. The magnet is very strong and there is no chance of the spark plug falling out of the socket.

Here are the factory spark plugs I pulled out...

They seem to be pretty decent, though a little darker than I expected. For reference, all of the stock plugs I pulled out were gapped at exactly .031. The new plugs are one-step colder and seem to be running fine with a .028 gap. I'll just have to wait now and see how the ITV22 plugs look when I check on them later.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 · (Edited)
Updated the first post of this build thread with the new entry shown below:

27-Mar-2014: Replaced the weak stock fog lamps with high-output Rostra LED projector fog lights. I ran out of time and energy to aim them, but I did get them installed, and did so without breaking any of the tabs on the black plastic fog light bezels. If anyone has a better way to do this, let me know, but here is how I got the bezels out. I used a Lisle 35260 fastener remover and wedged it onto the non-tab side and leveraged it a bit to bend the fixed non-tab part back a little. I then wedged the fastener tool on the side with the tab and leveraged it to release the tab. Next I wedged a 1.8mm slotted precision screwdriver over the tab and pulled the fastener tool out so now the screwdriver was holding the tab open. I did this with all 5 of the tabs before trying to remove the bezel. Once all the tabs were released by screwdrivers, I pushed the bezel out just a little (you have to push on the tabs), then went to the front side and used the fastener tool to gently pull on the bezel and it popped right out. There are also 3 tabs right by the fog light, but those come out easily with just a little maneuvering. It probably took me over an hour for the first bezel while I was determining a strategy, but probably about 20 minutes for the second bezel. I got access to the backside of the bezels by removing the lower engine cover (under the oil filter) and the lower bumper cover (under the headlamps). On the passenger side I also had to remove the 10mm bolt holding the horn bracket so it could be moved out of the way.

The bezel removed with all tabs intact:

The spot where the bezel was, with the stock fog light...

The stock fog light removed...

With the new LED projector fog light installed...

Fog light turned on...

With the bezels re-installed...

Both fog lights on...

Just eyeballing them in the evening light, they appear to be aimed too low. After aiming them properly, I'll post some night pictures.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 · (Edited)
Added "Quick Access Index Links" to the top of my build page for easier/faster access to specific sections of the build if desired. Thanks to Chad for implementing the changes needed for this feature. For reference, use an [ANAME] tag to create an anchor and a [JUMPTO] tag to access the anchor. For example:
Code:
[b][[/b]ANAME=index00[b]][/b]Index List[b][[/b]/ANAME[b]][/b]
01. [b][[/b]JUMPTO=anchor01[b]][/b]Clicking this link takes you to the [B]anchor01[/B] section[b][[/b]/JUMPTO[b]][/b]
02. [b][[/b]JUMPTO=anchor02[b]][/b]Clicking this link takes you to the [B]anchor02[/B] section[b][[/b]/JUMPTO[b]][/b]

blah
blah
blah

[b][[/b]ANAME=anchor01[b]][/b]This is the [B]anchor01[/B] section.[b][[/b]/ANAME[b]][/b]

one
one
one

[b][[/b]JUMPTO=index00[b]][/b]Return to Index List[b][[/b]/JUMPTO[b]][/b]

[b][[/b]ANAME=anchor02[b]][/b]This is the [B]anchor02[/B] section.[b][[/b]/ANAME[b]][/b]

two
two
two

[b][[/b]JUMPTO=index00[b]][/b]Return to Index List[b][[/b]/JUMPTO[b]][/b]
The code above will display and work as shown below:
[HR][/HR]
Index List
01. Clicking this link takes you to the anchor01 section
02. Clicking this link takes you to the anchor02 section

blah
blah
blah

This is the anchor01 section.

one
one
one

Return to Index List

This is the anchor02 section.

two
two
two

Return to Index List

[HR][/HR]

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Added the following entry to the first post of my build thread. You can access the new entry directly using this link, or just read it below.

31-Mar-2014: Installed the Cobb Tuning stage3 93 v202 map. I'll post my impressions once I've logged some drive time with it. As a reminder, you should uninstall the AP from the ST before you update the AP firmware. After updating the AP firmware, install the AP on the ST with the desired v202 map. The AP uninstall, AP firmware update, and AP install went smoothly and with no problems. While the AP was connected, I checked for DTCs and none were reported. I had heard people say that once you disconnect the symposer and install the delete plate it would throw a soft code (DTC triggered but no CEL). Not sure why, but the symposer delete has not triggered a DTC on my ST, and I've had the symposer disconnected for almost 3 months now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I knew this forum was going to be dangerous. Thank you for the information.
This forum is far from dangerous, this is where you find the real issues with these cars. Got my car 10th, December, 2012. Took it back next day with a steering issue, dealers mechanic said it was fine. Cut a long story short, I read about it on this forum, got them to drive the car with me in it, later that day I got a call, they finally admitted a fault and replaced the steering rack. Car has been just fine since.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
I knew this forum was going to be dangerous. Thank you for the information.

This forum is far from dangerous, this is where you find the real issues with these cars. Got my car 10th, December, 2012. Took it back next day with a steering issue, dealers mechanic said it was fine. Cut a long story short, I read about it on this forum, got them to drive the car with me in it, later that day I got a call, they finally admitted a fault and replaced the steering rack. Car has been just fine since.
I don't think Santurro99 literally meant "dangerous", just that once you get "mod fever", its too much fun and too hard to stop until you run out of money. At any rate, I'm glad to hear the forum helped you identify an issue and get it resolved by your dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think Santurro99 literally meant "dangerous", just that once you get "mod fever", its too much fun and too hard to stop until you run out of money. At any rate, I'm glad to hear the forum helped you identify an issue and get it resolved by your dealer.
I understand where you are coming from, I am keeping a keen interest as to what you are doing to your "Belle", so far we seem to share a similar "exhaust Sound", unfortunately here in Australia I simply do not have access to the mods that you do, just to get the symposer delete, I still have to wait another 10 days for it to come from the USA. At 57, I'm pretty keen to do a lot of mods to this car. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi unreal did you upgrade your turbo? Just looking for suggestions because I want good power just no looking forward to turbo lag like the on demand turbo feel to much

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for all the great information and your awesome pics of work in progress/completed and products. Belle sounds awesome ;)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Ric (from Australia) here, you better start getting those mods on quicker, I have a custom exhaust, takes 2 hours to get hearing back after getting out of car, and finally after many weeks of waiting for it, I have attached the symposer delete plate and removed the symposer and tubes. Dont care what anyone thinks, I recon it runs Better. Also have put in the e ford rmm. So as you can see I'm rapidly closing in on ya. On a serious note, I'm looking at the quaife diff, was it a pain putting it in and does it make a real difference?
Regards
Ric
Hi Ric,

I'm not looking to be unique or anything. I did the mods I have because I enjoy it. Glad to see a fellow enthusiast and hope you are enjoying it too. Sorry to hear your exhaust is so loud, unless that is how you like it. I went with the cp-e catted turbo-back exhaust, which is definitely louder than stock, but relatively quiet when driving gently. It has adjustable Helmholtz resonators, so you can make some adjustments to the resonator frequency to better suit your preferences and driving style. Regarding my impressions of the Quaife mechanical differential, I would suggest reviewing my entry here, especially the 08-Jan-2014 update. The mechanical diff improves traction considerably when you are pushing the car very hard, but makes no difference under normal driving. You may also want to review some additional comments I made here. Unless you have opened a transmission before, or otherwise consider yourself to be an experienced mechanic, I would not suggest opening the transmission yourself. I hired a professional shop to do mine and merely assisted. Besides the Quaife unit, I've also heard good things about the Wavetrac unit, so be sure to research both before deciding.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Sorry about all the broken picture links during the last week or so. The website host I had been using (home.roadrunner.com) for years is down permanently now. I have switched to Amazon S3 Cloud Storage which should be much better. I think I have fixed all of the broken links in this build thread, but there are still probably several broken picture links in other threads. If you find a post where it looks like there should be a picture, but none is there, please let me know and I'll fix the link.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Hi unreal did you upgrade your turbo? Just looking for suggestions because I want good power just no looking forward to turbo lag like the on demand turbo feel to much
I don't know how I missed this, my apologies. I have not upgraded the turbo yet. I've been very impressed with cp-e quality, so I'm waiting to see their Atmosphere kit and the price for it. It appears to come with everything for a relatively easy bolt-on, but I want to make sure I'm getting what I feel is the best value before jumping in. I was out of work for over a year and just became gainfully employed again about four months ago, so I also need time to save up funds. I'm a little conflicted about which turbo size to go with, though I'm leaning towards a GTX3071R. I'd like a relatively conservative tune that makes 350 wHP on 93 pump gas. With the stock turbo it is super easy to light up the tires, so with a bigger turbo I definitely want to shift the power band higher.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 · (Edited)
Added the following entry to the first post of my build thread. You can access the new entry directly using this link, or just read it below.

11-Oct-2014: I had considered getting wider tires at 245/45ZR17, but decided to stick with 235/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport. These tires really are amazing and worth the price ($161.43 each, delivered to my door, including road hazard). I bought them from Tire Rack and had them mounted at Tires Plus Kirkman Road.

Here is Belle getting fresh tires on all four wheels...

221 - 240 of 269 Posts