Ford Focus ST Forum banner

261 - 269 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Added the following entry to the first post of my build thread. You can access the new entry directly using this link, or just read it below.

21-Apr-2015: As mentioned previously, during my last oil change I took an oil sample and sent it to Blackstone Labs to have it analyzed. Here is the report.

According to Blackstone, the engine is doing great, and they recommended the next oil change interval at 9,500 miles. Based on this information, I am glad I chose Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus oil and will stick with it. Not sure if this has anything to do with the Gas To Liquid (GTL) oil base compared to a crude oil base, but I like the results.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Added the following entry to the first post of my build thread. You can access the new entry directly using this link, or just read it below.

14-May-2015: I recently had to take a wheel off, but even after removing the lug nuts, the wheel did not come off. It took a long time and a lot of effort to break the wheels loose from the hub, but I eventually got them off. I found considerable galvanic corrosion between the aluminum wheels and steel hub. Here is what I did to fix it.

I purchased this set of brushes including stainless steel, brass, and nylon brushes. I spent about 5 minutes with each brush, about 20 minutes of scrubbing per wheel. I actually only got one wheel done today before it got too dark, but between tomorrow and Saturday I'll get the rest done too.

Here is the hub before doing anything, after brushing, then after coating with anti-seize.

Here is the wheel before doing anything, after brushing, then after coating with anti-seize.

It looks much better now and I expect the wheel will not stick to the hub next time I attempt to remove them.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
I asked Velossa Tech to design something unique for my ST (Belle). After several mockups, prototypes, and design tweaks, I now have the final product. I hope to get it installed this weekend.

The product is well packed. Each item is wrapped in bubble wrap, finished with peanuts, and shipped in a sturdy tube.

They are for Team Dynamics wheels, and are totally custom. Until I get these installed, here are the "u"nreal center caps!

More pictures and info to come soon.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·

26-May-2015: Not very long ago I was considering changing up the look of my ST, and my first thought was to change to 5-spoke wheels. After further consideration, I decided to keep my Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels, but still change the look. The first step was to replace the black lug nuts with gold ones.

I like how the gold lug nuts look, but wanted something more, so I contacted Dan at Velossa Tech about creating some unique wheel center caps. I described what I wanted and sent him a high resolution picture of my avatar that I wanted on the caps. Dan did a couple of CAD drawings for me to review.

I wanted to see a gold logo on a black background and Dan quickly sent a new CAD drawing.

The third CAD drawing was my preference. I sent Dan one of my Team Dynamics center caps so he could take fitment measurements and create some prototype caps. He actually sent me three numbered prototype caps of slightly different sizes. I installed each one, took pictures, and noted which one fit best. I asked Dan to make some changes, like shortening the length of the screws, and moving the screws further from the edge of the cap. We also discussed the height of the cap, the height of the logo above the cap, and epoxy coatings. Dan took all of the feedback and created a fourth prototype cap. Here is a profile shot of that cap...

He also changed the connection tabs on the back of the cap so the metal clip was no longer needed. Here is a comparison of the clips on the original Team Dynamics cap (right) and the fourth prototype cap (left).

This prototype fit great and looked great, but I suggested a few minor changes. Dan took this feedback and created the final center caps. They are packaged great in a sturdy cardboard tube...

...stuffed with peanuts...

...and tucked into bubble wrap...

Here are the final wheel center caps. They turned out fantastic!

Here are a few pictures of the caps installed on Belle.

Side view...

Front wheel...

Rear wheel...

Wheel close up...

I am very happy with my one-of-a-kind center caps! I also want to mention during this whole development process, Dan was very patient, responded to all of my queries quickly, and was very easy to work with. I'm looking forward to seeing what interesting new ideas other people have for their center caps, or any other Velossa Tech projects for that matter. Their web page is still a work in progress, but since it should be up soon, here is the link.

Velossa Tech Engineering

·
Registered
903 Posts
They didn't have a problem with it being a derivation of the "unreal engine" logo which I think is copyrighted? I'm impressed, typically companies won't touch designs that they think infringe on something.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
I doubt anyone would confuse a video game with wheel center caps, plus it has been my nickname since the late 90s. I also thought about doing fleur-de-lis, but settled on the "u".

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Advice for anyone with Team Dynamics wheels wanting new center caps...

The stock Team Dynamics caps have a metal retaining ring behind the plastic clips. See the picture below on the right.

If you attempt to pry the cap off of the wheel while the wheel is still mounted, you run a high risk of either breaking one or more of the plastic tabs, scratching your wheels, or both. I recommend you unmount the wheel first, then using short needle nose pliers gently remove the metal clip from the back side. Next use a large diameter flat bottomed object that has a semi-soft rubber coating, like the handle on some tools or bicycle handle grips, place it flush against the back side of the cap and gently tap the other side of the tool/grip until the cap pops out. Put the metal retaining ring back on the cap after it is out of the wheel so you don't lose it. If you should ever need to put the stock Team Dynamics caps back on, be sure to remove the metal retaining ring first, push the cap in, then reinstall the metal retaining ring. I hope that helps someone avoid broken tabs.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·

{4th Oil Change}

20-Mar-2016: Did another engine oil change on Sunday, Belle's fourth. Mileage shows 27,320 miles, which is 7,035 miles since my last change and almost the same interval as the previous one too. As with the last one, I used Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 5W-30 full synthetic...a full five quart jug plus about twenty-eight ounces from a sixth quart. I collected a sample to send off to Blackstone Labs and I'll post the lab results once I get them.

For previous oil changes I had been using a large, relatively flat drain pan, then pouring the oil from the drain pan into a disposal/recycling jug. This time I found a better method that works perfectly with the clearance on Race Ramps RR-52-2. I drained the oil directly into the disposal/recycling jug, a 12-quart RhinoGear Dispos-Oil topped with a FloTool Hand-E quick fill funnel. It fit perfect and there was no mess. Since the funnel is right under the drain plug, the oil does not get blown around while draining, even on a windy day.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·

{ECU Update ~ Cobb stage3 v320 (91)}

15-May-2016:: Installed the Cobb Tuning stage3 91 v320 map. Before installing this tune I checked for DTC codes and did not find any. I did not reset the KAM after loading the map as I believe the ECU continually learns, and the Cobb map notes did not mention this was necessary. I have been happy with the 91 octane tune so I am sticking with it for added safety, even though I always use 93 octane. So far the v320 tune seems to be fine. I'm still using the V2 AP since it works great, though of course it is missing some features that the V3 AP has, mostly related to display/monitor.

261 - 269 of 269 Posts