Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized my sig wasn't appearing at the bottom of posts, and I was annoyed that pics never showed in any of the threads. So I went investigating and found all that stuff was turned off in my settings for the forum. So this is just a reminder.

And if I can make a couple requests, I'd like to see a real first name in everyone's signature and a real location in everyone's profile. Some screen names are too unwieldy to type or reference, especially when we try to keep congenial. And location often provides help understanding regionalisms, language usage, and context.

Thanks all!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Yeah the default setting has just about everything off. Made this discovery as well and can now see peoples sigs, avatars, and images. Much better!

Reactions: DarkBuddha

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly.

BTW, I still really would like folks to put their first names in their sigs. I really used to value the anonymity that my screen name provided, but I've realized that anonymity is essentially pointless (and valueless in any meaningful way) and that screen names can (and do!) create distorted views of real people. For example, many folks think that because my screen name is DarkBuddha that I'm a fat, black guy. Not that it matters, but I'm not black, though I am fat. But it's that kind of assumption that may cause someone to view my comments in some inaccurate, possibly stereotyped, context that has no relevance or consequence. That said, using just a real first name may not prevent distortions of perception, but at least I think we all better understand that who we're talking/writing to is a real person and not some persona.

/end rant

·
Registered
231 Posts
Damn... do I need to change my name to Brandon too?
Haha, I was thinking there seemed to be a high number of Brandons on this forum. That should just make it easier to remember everyone's name though :p

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Do I have to put my name?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts