Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've seen a couple other members post up individual threads for their used oil analysis reports I thought it might be good to start a new thread that members could post to in order to make it easy to view different reports in one place (individual owners might still want to post to their own threads to track just their car over time).

For a little background to those not familiar with what a UOA is, the acronym stands for used oil analysis and is report provided by a testing lab to tell you how well your oil and filter combination are performing. There's lots of opinions on how long you should run your oil with some people preferring to stick to 3-5k mile drain intervals, some people running longer fixed intervals and some going off the oil life monitor, but the only way to know how well your oil is protecting is to have a chemical analysis performed at a testing lab. Things like color alone or how thin the oil "feels" usually tell almost nothing about how well it's actually protecting and how much service life the oil has remaining before it can't suspend any more particulates, before the anti-wear and detergent additive package is expended, etc.

Blackstone Labs is one of the largest independent testing labs and provides good personalized feedback and maintains a database of other owners they can look at to tell if something is abnormal for a given engine or application. There are a few other testing labs that have popped up over the years but I personally like Blackstone's service. If you decide to go with another lab it's usually best to stick to one if you want to compare results over time. For more information, way more info than you'd ever want to know about oil analysis and discussion on what different results mean you can check out the oil forums here. While you'll find a lot of people with opinions there are also many knowledgeable people as well, including some with backgrounds in the field as well as the UOAs posted by other members.

I'll start by posting my report. I was going to change the oil early but instead decided to see how well the factory fill performed and change it according to Ford's service guidelines which meant waiting until prompted by the intelligent oil life monitor. On the ST's EcoBoost engine the oil life monitor looks at things like engine load, operating temp of the coolant, oil temp, ambient temps, engine rpms, engine run time, mileage and possibly other factors to calculate the service life of the oil (assuming you use an oil and filter meeting Ford's minimum standards).

My driving tends to be longer trips where the oil gets up to full operating temp and a mix of city and highway driving. The change oil soon message came on at exactly 10,250 miles and I changed the oil and took a sample at 10,306 miles.

Looking at a couple of the other UOAs posted the slightly elevated metal and silicone content seems about normal. The TBN count (total base number, i.e. how much additives are left) is also showing the factory fill, which I'm guessing is conventional 5w30 or a semi-synthetic blend and the same as all Focus on the production line get, is nearing the end of it's service life exactly as calculated by the oil life monitor.

To summarize, using the oil life monitor recommendation for the first oil change doesn't seem to be a problem. Even with more frequent changes the numbers on other reports I've seen seem to show slightly elevated levels that will likely come down as the engine gets more hours and miles on it.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Did you notice a reduction in oil when you changed it? I ran the full-synthetic for 8000 miles and was about a quart low.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine was right around a quart low (just above the lower mark on the dipstick) right before this change and sample was taken. I had been keeping an eye on it at every fill up but was expecting the oil life monitor to be going off so I never topped it up with any fresh fluid which would have improved these numbers. For what's likely conventional 5w30 Motorcraft from the factory, a quart in 10k miles isn't too bad. It dropped pretty slowly over time and in a linear fashion too.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Interesting. This is the first Focus ST factory fill UOA I have seen. The viscosity of the factory fill is rather low, looks like that oil sheared quite a bit and is now a bit thinner than 5W-20. Makes sense though since they used a Syn Blend.

I just sent my sample of Pennzoil Ultra from my second oil change in the other day, I'll throw the report up here when I get the results in a few days.

Other UOA posts:
http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-general-discussion/5694-uoa-used-oil-analysis-motorcraft-full-synthetic-5w-30-a.html
http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-general-discussion/5100-used-oil-analysis-uoa-pennzoil-platinum.html

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Eric, did you stick with the Motorcraft blend for your first change?

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ST owner’s manual supplement states you can use any of four approved Motorcraft oils dpendong on location (US or Canada) and lists both Motorcraft Full Synthetic and the Semi-Synthetic varieties for the US it also lists the conventional, Super Premium 5w30 as meeting requirements. It wouldn't surprise me if the ST shipped with that instead of the Semi-Synthetic but without knowing for certain what was used on the line it’s hard to tell without much more expensive lab testing. The factory fill did shear down quite a bit but assuming its conventional or semi-synthetic is still pretty good. Some oils like the regular Mobil 1 5w30 have a tendency to shear down close to the viscosity of a 5w20 on extended drain intervals yet they still meet many automakers specs for use in forced induction applications.

I went with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and a Mobil 1 Extended Performance (Champion Labs) filter during this change. I'll likely run it out according to the oil life monitor which should be another 10k miles.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Blackstone recommended I try an 8000 interval for my next change using Penzoil Ultra. Maybe they will tell me to go to 10K after my next change (which should be at the end of summer).

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Blackstone recommended I try an 8000 interval for my next change using Penzoil Ultra. Maybe they will tell me to go to 10K after my next change (which should be at the end of summer).
Are you mainly doing long trips like Eric or more short trips?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm 300 miles shy of 10k on my factory fill, no light yet, but will change at 10k regardless. Planning on sending a sample in.

And FWIW I checked the oil not too long ago and it's still full.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was getting slightly concerned when it hadn't gone off as I hit 10k miles but at exactly 10,250 miles while driving the change oil message appeared. It would be really helpful if Ford like a few other automakers could put a screen in their instrument display to show percentage of oil life remaining. On my GM vehicles I can scroll through and see what percent remaining I'm at for oil life which is helpful in planning changes before long trips, for example.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I was getting slightly concerned when it hadn't gone off as I hit 10k miles but at exactly 10,250 miles while driving the change oil message appeared. It would be really helpful if Ford like a few other automakers could put a screen in their instrument display to show percentage of oil life remaining. On my GM vehicles I can scroll through and see what percent remaining I'm at for oil life which is helpful in planning changes before long trips, for example.
I agree with this. I had a 1990 Cutlass that had that.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Just changed my oil a couple of weeks ago and just got my UOA in today. Running Punnzoil Ultra 5W-30. This was oil used after factory fill was drained. Oil was put in at just over 1k miles, drained at 5.2k. Plan to keep this oil in there until 10-11k or so.

Only thing that looked high was copper, but with a new engine still breaking in this is expected. Hopefully it goes down by the next oil change.

Edit: UOA was too small to read

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've put the results in the original thread (see below) here for tracking purposes.

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-general-discussion/6461-used-oil-analysis-pennzoil-platinum-11-279-km-7-050-miles.html

This is a daily driver with about 70:30 city:hwy with an occasional rush of turbo thrown in for good measure. Car had a Lucas UCL at 1/2 dose at every fill up. Also a K&N drop-in filter. Engine is tuned using Torrie's 91 v5.

I went close to 12,000 km (7,500 miles) on this oil. My current (new oil) run is Pennzoil Ultra. I'll be going for 8750 miles next time around.

Regards,
Andrew

Code:
Make/Model		2.0L GTDI EcoBoost I-4 engine		
Fuel Type:		Gasoline		
Additional Info		2013 Ford Focus ST		
Oil Type and Grade	Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30		
Oil Use Interval		11,753 km		

MI/HR on Oil			11,753 km	Unit/Location	Universal
MI/HR on Unit			13,093 km	Averages	Averages
Sample Date			7/6/2013		
Make Up Oil Added		0 qts		

Aluminum			9		9		5
Chromium			1		1		0
Iron				22		22		13
Copper				65		65		4
Lead				3		3		0
Tin				2		2		1
Molybdenum			59		59		61
Nickel				1		1		0
Manganese			27		27		2
Silver				0		0		0
Titanium			0		0		2
Potassium			3		3		3
Boron				18		18		79
Silicon				34		34		18
Sodium				4		4		36
Calcium				2494		2494		2110
Magnesium			12		12		161
Phosphorus			725		725		737
Zinc				842		842		822
Barium				2		2		3

Values Should Be	
SUS Viscosity @ 210F		58	55-63	
cSt Viscosity @ 100C		9.65	8.8-11.3	
Flashpoint in F			415	>365	
Fuel %				<0.5	<2.0	
Antifreeze %			0	0	
Water %			        0	<0.1	
Insolubles %			0.2	<0.6	
TBN				2.4	>1.0
Blackstone Laboratories Comment:
"This first sample from your Ford Focus ST had more copper and silicon than universal averages, which show typical wear after about 10,500 km. This is one of the first few oil changes for this brand new engine, which is probably why those two elements read high. Copper is from brass/bronze parts and silicon is from harmless sealants used during engine assembly. Once wear-in material washes out, your engine should look like averages (if not better). The TBN was good at 2.4 since 1.0 or less is low for extended use. Try 14,000 km next and check back for progress."

Supplemental comment from Blackstone:
"Having the K&N filter wouldn't change the results much. We usually don't see the aftermarket filters impacting the results, so no worries."

·
Registered
32 Posts
We've seen 4 or so used oil reports, mostly with the factory fill (syn-blend), mine being full synthetic. I think the benefits of a synthetic are being shown from my report. The 100C cSt viscosity of Pennzoil Platinum out of the bottle is 10.0, mine sheared down to 9.65, a 3.5% drop. Meanwhile the factory-fill synblends have sheared wayy out of the 5W-30 spec, to a 5W-20.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just changed my oil a couple of weeks ago and just got my UOA in today. Running Punnzoil Ultra 5W-30. This was oil used after factory fill was drained. Oil was put in at just over 1k miles, drained at 5.2k. Plan to keep this oil in there until 10-11k or so.

Only thing that looked high was copper, but with a new engine still breaking in this is expected. Hopefully it goes down by the next oil change.

Edit: UOA was too small to read
Your PU run sheared wayyy more than I'd expect from Pennzoil's top-of-the-line product. Mine (Pennzoil Platinum) sheared to only 9.65 from 10.0, which is spec'ed for this particular product.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Here's the analysis on my OEM oil changed at about 4500 miles:
Thanks for posting. I'm approaching 4K miles and have been considering waiting for the oil wear indicator, or just changing at around 5K. My miles are low after buying the car in early January but I don't think age is too much of an issue. The car doesn't sit for more than a couple days typically.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I have received my second oil analysis. I am very happy that everything looks good.

Oh, BTW, almost 23,000 miles on this car.

FOCUS ST DEM-090713.jpg

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Your PU run sheared wayyy more than I'd expect from Pennzoil's top-of-the-line product. Mine (Pennzoil Platinum) sheared to only 9.65 from 10.0, which is spec'ed for this particular product.
Yes it did, although there are numerous other benefits to running Ultra vs Platinum in a turbo DI gas engine, mainly the lower NOACK Volatility (Ultra'a 6.4% vs Platinum's 12.8%). Ultra also has a bit lower viscocity at lower temperatures, which is a bit better for the engine at startup on colder days.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007304052_201207271342.pdf
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007054941_201202271154.pdf

It will be interesting to see a Platinum vs Ultra UOA from the same engine, since not all engines are exactly the same or are driven the same way. Plus I am sure there is a margin of error in Blackstone Lab's testing.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 since it went in on the first oil change at just over 10k miles. The car should be coming up on 20k miles in the next few months at which time I'll be sending in another sample that I’ll be able to post here as another point for comparison on that oil. I'm still deciding if I want to do a run of Ultra on the next change (or possibly Mobil 1 0w40) but it likely won’t be until sometime next year when I have those results.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts