Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

Wondering who the next lucky bunch are who get their hands on the ST this coming weekend:?:

Hope you can scope out a few things that have been recurring questions on the forums:
Many of these where covered! Thanks to D3ADP0OL and Slipster17 (FJ)
  • Head room for 6'+ people
  • Recarrros- ST2 colors
  • ST3 back seat fold down
  • Overhead console in the ST3
  • Whether or not the visors have mirrors and are lit
  • Is the Home Link built in garage door opener still in the left sun visor
  • Get video of the push button ignition firing up
  • PICTURES & VIDEOS are greatly appreciated:p

Since I live in LA, I still have a month before I get to drive. So in the meantime I am vicariously taking in as much as I can.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm 14 days away from being behind the wheel. I'll do my best to remember. I'm not sure what to expect there. I have some great videos I made for people in the BRZ forums. I was even the first person in the world to capture the car's horn sound which for some reason people were obsessed about.

I'd be happy to address your concerns. I hope they give me the time to get in the car and record this for you and others here.

Hi All

Wondering who the next lucky bunch are who get their hands on the ST this coming weekend:?:

Hope you can scope out a few things that have been recurring questions on the forums:
(I will update this as I see the questions come in)
  • Head room for 6'+ people
  • Recarrros- ST2 colors
  • ST3 back seat fold down
  • PICTURES & VIDEOS are greatly appreciated:p

Since I live in LA, I still have a month before I get to drive. So in the meantime I am vicariously taking in as much as I can.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am curious about the overhead console in the ST3 and whether or not the visors have mirrors and are lit. A picture would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm scheduled for 1 o'clock. Anybody else going to be there, or will I get to drive for the whole hour? Hope springs eternal!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If anyone is scheduled and can't go, please PM me! I have been trying each day to get in but it's been booked solid for weeks.

To those lucky enough to have a golden ticket: I also would love to know about ride comfort for tall guys. If you can get video of the push button ignition firing up that would be sweet too :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
I too wanted to get up to DC for this event but missed out.

One small detail I've been curious about - is the Home Link built in garage door opener still in the left sun visor? I've heard it's gone on the ST. I have it on my Titanium.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm registered for 10 AM (back on May 21).. Will bring the Canon P&S which has vid capability I think, sorry not dragging the Nikon kit bag down there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
AWESOME! Just checked the site and there are a few open time slots that have opened up. I'm not slotted for 3pm and I'll be sure to bring along my camera

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm signed up for 1. Along with about 10 of my friends. This car better impress me and I hope I can get d plan on it. I have my eyes set on getting another sti but if I can get a deal I can't pass up then I may jump on one. My dealership has 10 on order.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wait, you're d-plan eligible but you'd still opt for the Subaru sti? Don't get me wrong, the AWD and limited slip diff in the sti simply don't exist for the ST, but wouldn't you rather buy a car from the dealership that employs you instead of spending an extra $15k to buy from your competition?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm eligible because I have family that works there. I don't anymore. Believe me I love ford (have had 3 f150s, two raptors and currently a f250). I've also had three stis and I'm not sold on te fwd thing. Plus I want to see how the aftermarket supports them. I'm not trying to be a naysayer because I would honestly like to put another ford in the driveway but I dont see this car being sti level of competition. I'm at least going to give it a look though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Off the lot, you're right, there's no way this will match an sti, but that's cause it starts at over $6k more then the fully loaded ST or $12k more then the base ST, so that's kinda comparing across different price segments. So truthfully, the sti will best the ST in pretty much every performance category except mpg and consistency in the power band. Really the comparison is against the vanilla WRX, and I think the ST will be the better overall performer (there's already a huge thread breaking down this comparison here). The only area where the WRX may win is off the line drags because of it's AWD, but at the very least it will be damn close and I think we'll need to see some straight head to heads before you can declare a winner based on stats alone. Throw in the significantly improved interior quality and finish, the better mpg stats and the ride comfort, and I think the ST is the clear winner for anyone buying a performance daily driver. Only exception would be if the AWD is absolutely necessary where you live, like snowy mountains or rural areas with harsh road conditions.

But as for the sti, that's a real toss up because the ST aftermarket is a wild card still. I doubt it will be as booming as the mod market for GTI's or subie's but there's already a number of performance groups saying they will be working on it. So maybe after a year or so, you could take the $12k you saved and spend it on mods that could very well blow away the performance of an sti, but that's no guarantee.

In any case, for me the price difference and the vastly improved interior and ride comfort more then make up for the weaker performance stats against the sti. I may still end up opting for the regular WRX based on how well I fit in the ST, and who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll be really underwhelmed by the ST's acceleration. Either way I'll be sure to post my impressions (and pics!) tomorrow.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AWESOME! Just checked the site and there are a few open time slots that have opened up. I'm not slotted for 3pm and I'll be sure to bring along my camera
Glad you get in. Now you don't have to buy someone a beer.:thumb:

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm signed up for 1. Along with about 10 of my friends. This car better impress me and I hope I can get d plan on it. I have my eyes set on getting another sti but if I can get a deal I can't pass up then I may jump on one. My dealership has 10 on order.
LOL One for each.
Now there's concept: Dealer Group Buy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Personally I have never driven a fwd car that handles as well as a awd. I keep having this vision of comparing it to a srt4. I remember a company building one for time attack. By the time they had stiffened the car up enough to handle well enough it was ripping the sheet metal on the firewall. I don't see it outperforming a sti mod for mod but time will tell and I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Just to clarify for anyone I'm not necessarily tryig to bash the st. I've have been a loyal suby guy. I've had 3 STIs. So my standards are high but I keep telling myself that I could try to save a few bucks. I guess tomorrow will tell me a lot.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personally I have never driven a fwd car that handles as well as a awd. I keep having this vision of comparing it to a srt4. I remember a company building one for time attack. By the time they had stiffened the car up enough to handle well enough it was ripping the sheet metal on the firewall. I don't see it outperforming a sti mod for mod but time will tell and I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Just to clarify for anyone I'm not necessarily tryig to bash the st. I've jay been a loyal suby guy. I've had 3 STIs. So my standards are high but I keep telling myself that I could try to save a few bucks. I guess tomorrow will tell me a lot.
Do gives us the straight review. I am anxious to hear what people say who aren't being paid to write.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, I think that's really the true point there. Pound for pound, the sti outperforms the ST and achieves this by boosting the price and ditching a lot of the interior comfort. So it is all gonna come down to whether you are willing to give up on some performance to save a decent stack of cash and have a more pleasant daily drive. If you live and bleed for track days and want to be a serious contender right off the lot, the STI is gonna be hard to turn down. But if you take road trips or have a regular commute and have the patience to wait for the aftermarket to catch up, the ST is a competitive option. Either way, without any actual wheel time this is all just old fashioned backseat philosophizin'

·
Registered
336 Posts
I will be there for the 1 o' clock Looking forward to being able to see one before I get my own. I will bring my Canon SLR and try to get as many pics as I can.

Reactions: oaxa
1 - 20 of 43 Posts