Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a WC Lathe Werks stainless steel sphere shift knob and all I have to say is "WOW". When paired with the Steeda SSK, this is awesome. I always felt like the shifting was a little more difficult because of the reduced throw and this knob (weighing in at 1lb!) is the icing on the cake. The install took about 20 minutes because of having to adjust the set screw within the knob, but after I got it (and shot a quick YouTube vid) I took it for a drive and yet again "WOW" is all that can be said. I immediately felt a difference in shifts in both ease and positive engagement.

Installing:
Step 1. Unscrew factory knob
Step 2. Screw on WCLW knob
Step 3. Unscrew WCLW knob and use allen key to adjust the set screw
Step 4. Screw on WCLW knob and check for alignment
Step 5. Wash, rinse, and repeat steps 3 & 4 until the pattern is correct
Step 6. Enjoy!

IMG_20130330_110649_232.jpg
Comparing the stock knob to WCLW

IMG_20130330_112348_562.jpg
Inside threads (brass)

IMG_20130330_112409_209.jpg
Allen key inserted to adjust

882116_552241088743_338371255_o.jpg
End product

Here's the site to buy them (WC Lathe Werks Focus ST). They only list one type of ST knob for now, but any of their Subaru Impreza STi knobs will work with the ST, you just have to email them and tell them what you want. They are great guys to work with and kept me in the loop the whole time.

Also, here is a link to their writeup on how their brass threads are superior to other non-brass threaded knobs (sorry if it's against forum rules)
OFFICIAL Ultimate Shift Knob Thread + TESTING RESULTS!

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's a great shiftknob, I've yet to still do the write up on mine, I was the first one to get one from him for the ST's. I had to do all the preliminary measurements. My thread depth is wrong but that was my error and not Chris'. Wish I had an adjustable set screw in mine like yours has. That was a good idea by him to fix the counterbore issue I have (again my fault) I'll put pictures of mine up tomorrow. It's burnt blue titanium. I love it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a great shiftknob, I've yet to still do the write up on mine, I was the first one to get one from him for the ST's. I had to do all the preliminary measurements. My thread depth is wrong but that was my error and not Chris'. Wish I had an adjustable set screw in mine like yours has. That was a good idea by him to fix the counterbore issue I have (again my fault) I'll put pictures of mine up tomorrow. It's burnt blue titanium. I love it.
I got ahold of him about that and he said he's going to start shipping them with a longer adjustment screw.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
234 Posts
The stock knob just screws on? Awesome. I've seen too many cars where the stock ones are pressed on, or held on with a pin of somesorts.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I like the look of that knob! how much are they?

EDIT: nevermind, somehow i missed that there were links at the bottom of the post

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Little update after having some hot days (car thermometer said 80*). I found the knob cools down rather quickly. It hasn't gotten hot enough not to hold to shift. Seeing as it isn't sitting on top of the trans (like my RX-8 one was) I find it much easier to handle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I really want one of these, but it gets cold here and I don't think I'd like the steel one in the winter (already tried that with a heavy TMW knob in my previous car). Unfortunately though, I'm not sure it's worth the $135 (minimum) for the copolymer/steel version since it's only 230 grams. Not sure I'd notice much of a difference at that weight. Looks like I'll be waiting for next spring before pulling the trigger on a weighted knob.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My other ST-related Christmas gift was the stainless steel WC Lathe shift knob. I have to say, after getting the alignment and height correct, I love it. It is cold on a cold day, but no more so than it is outside. I found if it's cold enough to be uncomfortable, it's probably cold enough outside to be wearing gloves. The extra weight and shape give it a very great feel. Really like this knob. And yes, at the right height, it works fine with the reverse lockout. Just make sure you don't put it down too far or up too high.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of my first mods to the ST. GREAT customer service Very fast feedback. MY knob came in about 7 days i changed my mind like 7 times and i am really happy with the quality. He did a great job with the design i wanted. The feel is great I ordered the over size polymer 2 large rings on bottom.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just put in a quote request with their website for a different model knob they have available for the ST. I will keep you guys posted on the price, and if he can do what I wanted. It should look pretty good. More to follow later...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Got my WC Lathe Werks knob in today. His craftsmanship far exceeded anything I expected. Chris is a great guy who really communicates with his customers and ensures they are completely happy. I opted for the stainless steel orb done in gunmetal to match my OZ wheels. I only had the shift pattern embossed/engraved. I have seen and felt many shifters in many cars, the weight and feel of this one is perfect for me. Thanks Chris!

DSC_0468.jpg DSC_0470.jpg DSC_0474.jpg :yay:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts