Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was thinking about this idea; we should create an ST Owners club and have different regions , East coast, West coast , South etc and plan get togethers annually to places such as Mount Washington Auto road, Tales of the Dragon,Blue ridge parkway, Diamondback,Pikes Peak, Mullholland drive etc :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
I like the idea, but since this forum already feels a bit like a club, I wonder what would an actual club offer it's members beyond what being a member of this forum provides. As a Merkur owner, I can tell you that it's good to have a single national club (which offers a news letter, a forum, some other member benefits, and an annual meeting at the Carlisle All Ford Nationals), but events like the ones you described seem better left to regional organization; or at least that's been the case with Merkur owners.

Another question is that since the SVTOA has taken the ST into its fold (ST is a product of the SVT division of Ford), I wonder if a dedicated ST club is viable. It would be tough to beat the SVTOA as an organization to support ST owners.

·
Registered
742 Posts
A quick follow-up. It's hard to actually see what, if anything, the SVTOA is currently offering to ST owners (or any other SVT owner for that matter). The public sections of their forum are all but dead, and there's no clear statement of what SVTOA membership really gets you. Maybe a dedicated ST club would be a good thing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know lots of guy from focus fanatics get together also mini owners go to tail of the dragon annually , i checked out Mount Washington webpage and they have lots of special days for different groups, i will go to California sometime in the future to check out mulholland drive also will go to pikes peak on the way to cali

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm in. Forming an actual club, with club officers, with dues, creating infrastructure, organizing national events, ensuring accountability, administrating benefits, shouldering responsibility, being subject to membership scrutiny, etc. is a lot of work and stress, but we don't have to start so ambitiously that we burn ourselves out. We can build as the group of owners and membership grows. Until then, we keep it more to being a more informal club-like thing with some semi-organized activities. Keep it simple until it can't be anymore.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm in. Forming an actual club, with club officers, with dues, creating infrastructure, organizing national events, ensuring accountability, administrating benefits, shouldering responsibility, being subject to membership scrutiny, etc. is a lot of work and stress, but we don't have to start so ambitiously that we burn ourselves out. We can build as the group of owners and membership grows. Until then, we keep it more to being a more informal club-like thing with some semi-organized activities. Keep it simple until it can't be anymore.
I like this approach. I'm sure the community will take shape as we begin to receive our cars. I like this site because it's very specific in its focus (pun intended). We are ST owners. Whereas other focus sites are more broad in their community membership. I feel this site has more of a chance to be tightly knit.

I've been a member of several similar clubs over the years (cobaltss.net, 8thcivic, zilvia, as well as a number of local clubs). I know the strain it can impose.

First things first, do we have any graphic designers on here? We need a window decal asap. ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think a more active forum = a Club/community. In order to achieve this we need to organize events and get togethers. Cruises, Car shows, Track days, Mod days, Photo ops... whatever we just need to support the cause and support each other. That is what makes good forums and keeps members active and happy. I for 1 know that in Canada i plan on annually attending Carlisle and would like to go to different tracks for laping events in the upper states. Also Tail of the Dragon! Tail of the Dragon 04/07 - YouTube

·
Registered
908 Posts
Is the Mt. Washing Auto Road really that great? I haven't driven it, I've just hiked the actual mountain.

Mount Greylock (MA) has quite a nice road, I'll definitely be driving it quite often, since I basically live on it.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
It's that good! I've driven it and you are at times, on the ragged edge. It would be a great GTG spot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So i was thinking about this idea; we should create an ST Owners club and have different regions , East coast, West coast , South etc and plan get togethers annually to places such as Mount Washington Auto road, Tales of the Dragon,Blue ridge parkway, Diamondback,Pikes Peak, Mullholland drive etc :)
All you need is an active community. From there, meets will come naturally.

You don't need a freaking owner's club.

·
Registered
742 Posts

I totally agree, but don't be too quick to dismiss the value of belonging to such a club. There can be benefits to owners club membership that make it worthwhile. For example, some clubs are able to offer discount pricing for certain vendors, including X plan pricing from Ford. They also may offer special group buy opportunities, officially licensed merchandise, special events, member-only q&a sessions with engineers, racers, etc., technical information (including service manual content and recall/service bulletin info), etc. It just depends on the club. Plus, club organization often has non-specific benefits like being able to attract sponsors for events, meets, shows, etc. Those swag bags folks get at such events are usually a product of the club organization's ability to make sponsors feel there's enough people interested to justify participating.

With regard to meets, driving events, etc., that's the easy/glorious part of the idea of a club. But the real meat of a club organization is committed people. We've all been involved in some loose knit group that said they wanted to have a big meet or event or whatever, but when it came time for it, it came to nothing, or next to nothing. A big disappointment. Clubs generally attract more committed members, and thus more reliable members. It's those people that make clubs awesome. And I say this as a guy that spent most of his life up until recently purposely avoiding being involved in club-like organizations. Age and experience have given me the wisdom to appreciate what a club can be and offer.

One last thing, if all you're interested in is meets and events and merchandise, then a club probably won't be a big deal to you. But if you're interested in investing your own enthusiasm to ensure it has a future and connecting more genuinely with people with similar interests, then a club seems like the perfect way to do so.

BTW, stay involved here and we'll see what we can make happen.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I think when you belong to a group that is full of people who has the same interest then you realize how much more fun to be in the club , there is plenty owner clubs out there, BMWs , mini, mustang, of course you wont find toyota corolla owners club :LOL:

·
Registered
778 Posts
For now, I think the forum is just fine.
Maybe in say 3-5 years once the community is well established it can be something to start looking into again.

I was a very active member of a Ford Ranger forum for many years and it was awesome. I haven't been apart of another forum that felt so much like a large family. Local socal meets would regularly consist of 5-35 people. We never jumped to club territory, but I don't think anyone felt the need to either.

Depending on how large the community becomes, I would be curious to see the benefits it could offer over just the general forum.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think when you belong to a group that is full of people who has the same interest then you realize how much more fun to be in the club , there is plenty owner clubs out there, BMWs , mini, mustang, of course you wont find toyota corolla owners club :LOL:
I've been part of NASIOC for 10 years. It's a forum only, and somehow the locals figure out how to find each other :)

No shortage of meets, including big ones. I remember grilling burgers for 80 people on the promise that I'd get enough people kicking in to cover it, and I did. The only takeaway here is, IMHO, "club" or forum, you just need the right people and everything will turn around fine.

It'll be a little harder here because there are going to be less ST's out there than Imprezas, though.

·
4,009 Posts
I'm a member of Focaljet and this website and it would seem that internet sites generate all the best qualities of joining a club without all the formalities. I'm all for GTG when the time comes and am confident that we will pull those events together when the time comes.

Reactions: 02_svt_guy

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think a more active forum = a Club/community. In order to achieve this we need to organize events and get togethers. Cruises, Car shows, Track days, Mod days, Photo ops... whatever we just need to support the cause and support each other. That is what makes good forums and keeps members active and happy. I for 1 know that in Canada i plan on annually attending Carlisle and would like to go to different tracks for laping events in the upper states. Also Tail of the Dragon! Tail of the Dragon 04/07 - YouTube
Completely agreed. Back when I was really active in modding, I was constantly on preludeonline.com. It was a booming community and spawned a number of NPM's (National Prelude Meet). Myself and 5 others organized the 2006 NPM and it was a massive success. We had a car show, BBQ, Dyno challenge, a full track day and a banquet at the end. There were people that came from 12 different states - pretty staggering for a car as on the fringe as the Prelude is...

We also had 2 local clubs in St. Louis started by a small group of us here (STLPC and HACSTL) for the Prelude specifically and then Honda / Acura in general as we broadened our scope.

At the end of the day, this site / forum could and should be the home for all of us future ST owners. There is already such a good base - no need to recreate the wheel.

-Chris

·
4,009 Posts
At the end of the day, this site / forum could and should be the home for all of us future ST owners. There is already such a good base - no need to recreate the wheel.

-Chris
Agreed. This site and it's members are a "club" in and of themselves. If anything, we should kick in some dues to help support the site.

·
4,009 Posts
And with that, maybe some site t shirts and other such swag

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.