Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bound to happen eventually, but it's always painful to see the first one in an otherwise flawless finish. Rock came off a dump truck on the highway and caught my hood right above the "Ford" logo, then bounced and made a secondary scratch about 2/3 of the way up. Made an awful cracking noise as it careened off my windshield, but luckily didn't damage the windshield at all.

So, I went to a few places looking for touch-up paint. Wasn't able to find any in the local 'dupli-color' retailers (spirit blue and/or performance blue), so I stopped in the local dealership to order some. They asked for the last 8 digits of my VIN, so I gave it to them, and it came back with nothing. So I gave them my full VIN and it came back saying "red" and/or "white" (car is blue). So, I went back out to the car and got my paint code from the sticker in the door sill. They ordered me a small bottle of paint ($15 CDN approx), but it'll take about 10 days to get it as it's shipped from the US and has to be ground shipping due to being paint (even though it's about the size of a tube of lipstick). Hopefully it's the right colour when it arrives.

I've done a few touch-up jobs on my old ZX3 so I'm familiar with the techniques required to get a near-perfect finish. I just hate the part where you need to wet-sand the area to be flush with the rest of the paint. Anyone else had to do this yet?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have, and it never looked perfect because your not clear coating the small touch up area. It will still look good, but I can always see it when towel drying the car ( or truck in my case ). Living in Upstate NY is one of the reasons both my F-150 and ST are white. Much easier to get touch up paint, they are actually both Oxford White believe it or not.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
1 chip. It sucks, but its a car exposed to the elements

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tried to order touch up paint with the same results, gave them my vin and nothing came back...I have some minor damage to the chin spoiler :S sorry to hear about your damage....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Man, i feel for you. I've learned to keep quite a long distance from trucks. I'll just slow down and let the next person pass me up, and then follow them--something to buffer the crap flying off =)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not recommend using Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Touchup Paint Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup | 888-710-5192

I bought some touch up paint for my Tangerine Scream ST2 (rock chip on hood) and it's not even remotely close to matching. I'm doing the return tango with them as we speak.

FYI ford does not sell touch up paint for TS (LP) yet...
I guess I'm lucky in a sense that 'spirit blue' is not a signature colour and has been used on other models. Hopefully the touch-up paint from Ford will be a near-perfect match.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My dealer was able to order my PB touch up paint without issue. I got it for free, too. Took about a week to get it in. Not sure about the TS paint, though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you are that concerned about rock chips and scratches look into getting a 3M clear bra installed. Not cheap but they do the job and look nearly invisible.

Try this guy in Ottawa he is top notch.
Sean Getty
613-747-0932
Canotek Road

1 - 10 of 10 Posts