Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently received my TB ST3 and being in lower Michigan I would like to purchase a set of all season tires to go on the stock wheels since the majority of the winter is mainly just cold with very little snow precipitation. There have been numerous discussion on which winter tire would be good but little on all seasons. Anyone have any advice or recommendations?

I was planning on purchasing new wheels for the stock tires come spring to split up the cost a bit.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Then did you just take them somewhere to mount them?
When you order from Tire Rack, they give you a list of partners local to you that they can ship the tires to, and then you'll bring your car there to have them mounted. Last I checked, Tire Rack also has estimated costs for mounting the tires for each location. After you place your order, give the place a call to set up an appointment.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Conti ExtremeContacts are often the highest rated, but I was always well served by Dunlop SP Sports (although I've since switched to running summer and winter tires).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Then did you just take them somewhere to mount them?
I was able to buy my tires and have them mounted all at a local shop at a price cheaper than tire rack, once you include the shipping charges from tire rack.

The stock summer tires easily fit in the back with the seats down and the shop I went to put each of the stock summer tires in a plastic tire bag so the hatch area stayed nice and clean as well during the ride home.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but buying all seasons if you live in Michigan is fooling yourself. All season tires are the worst of all compromises and really don't function as advertised either during the warm months when you will really want to enjoy your car's capabilities, or during the winters which are harsh in Michigan when you need a dedicated winter/snow tire. If you buy a second set of tires, they will last you for years to come, keep you and your passengers safe, and allow you to take advantage of the car you bought.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Goodyear makes the Eagle F1 asymmetric all seasons now , which I put on my ST2, and have nearly identical ratings as the summer only.but with a longer tread life.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXM4

Michelin Primacy MXM4 - Free Shipping | TireBuyer.com

I have these on my '12 Focus Ti and they are by far the best all season tires I have used. I live in the South but have family in the North that I visit frequently - my set has seen snow, sleet, and rain and have performed flawlessly in all conditions. They ride smooth and quite, provide better fuel economy than the PS3s, and their is no situation on the street where they cannot match the PS3s inch-for-inch. To top it off, they have an outstanding wear rating and are looking damn near new after 20K miles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was running a set of Kumho Ecsta 4x tires on my SE, they deserve some consideration, too. Sharp handling, good grip in the dry, and grip in the wet was great, too.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've had Ecsta summer tires for about a year (and for the first time), and they are staggeringly good for the money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I just decided to bite the bullet and get winter tires. I opted for 17" with michelin alpin winter tires. Obviously not as much grip but I have been pleased with the ride and functioning so far. Here they are mounted. 2012-12-15_15-03-56_549.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have read alot of good comments and reviews of the Nitto Motivo all-season UHP tires. I am going to give them a try when the factory goodyears are worn.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So I recently received my TB ST3 and being in lower Michigan I would like to purchase a set of all season tires to go on the stock wheels since the majority of the winter is mainly just cold with very little snow precipitation. There have been numerous discussion on which winter tire would be good but little on all seasons. Anyone have any advice or recommendations?

I was planning on purchasing new wheels for the stock tires come spring to split up the cost a bit.
I know this isn't what you're asking but you should still buy snow tires. They do more for you than just help get through heavy snow. The rubber compound is better suited for the colder temps which means you'll get better dry traction when the temps drop. Also, they're much better suited for ice which is a must in lower MI with the constant thaw/freeze cycles you see all winter. (Source: I'm a former MI resident)

Edit: Just glanced at the recent posts, looks like you went with winters already, good for you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the axis xmx gray wheels with the Michelin pilot alpina pa3 for the last 2 weeks. the weather has been rainy, cold, 30's to low 50's and while not as sticky as the summer tires, close though. I've had not an issue with them. in the cold rain they work great, as in the cold dry.

the wheels are wicked hot looking on the black st3
I need to post some pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts