Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building off the age demographic post, let's get a "poll" going (I say "poll" because there's no way to fit all of the professions on an online poll, haha) for who does what! You can be as specific, or not, as you want.

Me? I'm an almost-grad (stupid gen-eds) of Penn State who just moved back home with mommy and daddy (not my first choice, I'll admit) to take some summer classes online. I'm majoring in mechanical engineering and, unlike most of my classmates, I do not have a "career" yet because of my special circumstances... My lifelong dream is to work at Ford as a design engineer, but it's way too competitive and my gpa is too low... (even though it's a 3.0, and I worked my ass off for that!) Maybe this trip to the Keys will change that :D

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I'm a LMSW. Licensed Masters Social Worker at a middle school in a large urban district.

Reactions: Americarsftw

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm currently a design engineer for an equipment manufacturer. I primarily deal with our hydraulic system design, controller programming, electrical control circuit design, and engine & associated components selection. Also heavily involved in on-location international technical assistance and emerging market machine development.

It's actually a lot of fun. First started at this company as a field service technician about 10 years ago during college.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am an automotive reconditioning technician(in layman's terms I inspect and repair used cars), formerly I was a Ford Master Tech at the largest Ford dealer in this state but that was several years ago.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Career: Information Technology Campus Coordinator - I control, manage and service all of the technical hardware on a Higher Ed campus.

Owner of Ford ST Nation, a community dedicated to the development of the Ford ST Brand. A place for tuners, moders, enthusiasts, and fans of the Focus ST and Fiesta ST.

Education: AA in Advertising BA in Marketing & Management and a soon MBA in Information Technology Management

More education to run the site better!

but it's way too competitive and my gpa is too low...
Competitive..yes GPA doesn't mean jack in the real world. Its about where you went to school, what experience you have, and who you know.

Great thread, however I am not sure if it really belongs in this forum. But we don't have a better place for it right now.

:thumb:

Reactions: petraman

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it could have gone into "Non-ST Nation Stuff," but this is where the Age thread was located so I figured it was fitting.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Competitive..yes GPA doesn't mean jack in the real world. Its about where you went to school, what experience you have, and who you know.
I would say this is true in just about every career field out there (aside from the where you went to school part). Just go for it. You may have to start at the bottom, but your hard work will pay off! :D

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I would say this is true in just about every career field out there (aside from the where you went to school part). Just go for it. You may have to start at the bottom, but your hard work will pay off! :D
Thanks guys (err... one guy, one girl, lol), that's a good boost to my confidence :)

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
The few settings where school comes into play is Ivy League... It goes without saying, graduates have a better chance of getting hired by graduates of the same school. The Affiliation/association aspect plays that role.

Although I have no empirical evidence to support those claims.. heh :p

Thanks guys (err... one guy, one girl, lol), that's a good boost to my confidence :)
Find something that you are good at and love. Then make them pay you to do it, and do it well. :D

Chad

·
Registered
42 Posts
B1-Bomber maintainer in the USAF

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've had hundreds of jobs in my early career, but for the last 16 years I've been working for the same Fortune 100 company in the Information Technology field. I am primarily responsible for identifying problem trends in our call centers, then implementing methods to eliminate those problems... some of which are technical in nature, and some of which are a labyrinthine maze of bureaucratic red tape.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nuclear Engineer - Loss of Coolant Analyst. I simulate broken pipes in a virtual reactor in order to satisfy the NRC. I make that shit safe.

Education - B.S. Physics from John Carroll University, M.S. Nuclear Engineering from Ohio State University.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Multi-Body Dynamics Simulation Software Developer here. (All ME's in the room will be familiar with ADAMS, we're a competitor.) \

Our Tools allow vehicle engineers for build a full version of a car suspension in a computer, put the simulation thru a driving course and test design/set-up changes before making one physical prototype.

The tools can be used in any mechanical engineering environment to simulate multiple bodies moving and interacting with each other. Any system with moving parts can be designed before physical parts, Aerospace, appliances, firearms, anything (and of course LOTS of automotive).

·
Registered
693 Posts
Ill chime here.
Went to universal technical institute, did automotive technology program there. Went to Mercedes Benz factory training program. Became master certified, then lost my job to the slow economic times about 5.5 years ago. I'm now working as a laborer for a large private construction company in Chicago. Still hoping and looking to get back into the automotive industry. I'd like to put all my knowledge and passion back to work while getting paid!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Electrical engineer for Caterpillar, I currently develop new technology in the engine emissions space, specifically focusing on sensors (e.g. NOx, O2, MAF, NH3, etc.). I used to work on high pressure (250MPa) common rail fuel systems.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts