Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sweet. Were those panels easy to remove? Did you have a manual or how-to, or did you just wing it?

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
I like that! Any info on where you got that material? and how you did it?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty sweet - how did you pull that off so cleanly, short of intense patience and a steady hand?
I'm a pretty patient person to begin with, but I wouldn't say I have a steady hand. Just have to take it slow.

These are the finished product, on the climate control I did remove the electronics which makes it quite a bit easier. You don't have to cut any perfect lines or anything.

I used 3M DI-NOC carbon fiber wrap, the stuff is amazing. You just heat it up with a hair dryer and it turns pliable so you can mold it around edges.. When it cools down it hardens almost like real carbon fiber.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet. Were those panels easy to remove? Did you have a manual or how-to, or did you just wing it?
Some pieces took a little bit of encouragement, but overall the trim is a lot easier to remove than some other cars I've had experience with.

I glanced over a guide on focus fanatics where someone removed the trim on a 2011.. Ours is mostly identical to that. Credit to him. :)

How to remove radio and surrounding trim pieces - Focus Fanatics

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Any pics of the parts installed? This is about the first interior mod I've ever been tempted to try...but I want to make sure it doesn't disrupt the look of the interior. And you mention redoing one piece - what's the damage done if you had to back out and leave a piece uncovered? Adhesive residue, etc? And finally, what's the finish like on that wrap - can you feel the basketweave texture, or does it have a smooth finish?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like that! Any info on where you got that material? and how you did it?
Here's the stuff I used.

Black 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber DINOC Flex Wrap CA-421 24"x12" : Amazon.com : Automotive

For the shifter portion, I unclipped the boot from the surround. Removed the Sync badge. Washed it with soap and water, wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to promote adhesion, and then with a hair dryer I worked the material around the edges. It's quite easy to shape. Leave a little bit of material around the edges to wrap around the back, this keeps it from peeling up later.

For the climate control, same prep. Unclipped electronics. That piece took quite a bit longer because of the more intricate detail.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before this, the only thing I've wrapped is the back of a smartphone lol. So I was a noob at it. But the material gives you a lot of confidence. Watch a couple youtube videos. All you have to do is heat it up and work with it, it conforms to the surface quite well. And if you mess up, just heat it up again and peel it back. As long as you don't stretch the material excessively, it can be reapplied over and over.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any pics of the parts installed? This is about the first interior mod I've ever been tempted to try...but I want to make sure it doesn't disrupt the look of the interior. And you mention redoing one piece - what's the damage done if you had to back out and leave a piece uncovered? Adhesive residue, etc? And finally, what's the finish like on that wrap - can you feel the basketweave texture, or does it have a smooth finish?
I will go take a pic of the finished product, I wanted to hold off until I got the weave to line up lol. But it still looks real good. Better than I hoped.

If you have to peel it off, just some soap and water and it'll be good as new again.

The material does have a texture. It hardens like real carbon fiber. But you can feel the weave slightly.

I had thought about spraying a clear coat over this after I was done, but I liked the look and texture as it was.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Even with the opposite grain, it still looks nice...better than without, but would look better with the same grain. However, can't believe you took the time to remove the Microsoft badge, then put it back on. I will definitely be removing that badge when I de-badge the car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even with the opposite grain, it still looks nice...better than without, but would look better with the same grain. However, can't believe you took the time to remove the Microsoft badge, then put it back on. I will definitely be removing that badge when I de-badge the car.
Hah yeah, I mulled it over for a little while and decided I wanted it to give the impression that the CF was on there from the factory. So I put the sync badge back on. I may yet remove it..

I'll be redoing the climate control to match grain as soon as I get another sheet of the stuff in the mail.. The piece I have left isn't wide enough to cover. Oh well, made a mistake, I learned from it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I think the grain looks pretty cool that way - at least in pics - and that "mismatch" is the sort of thing that would usually drive me nuts.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Love it. I might be inclined just to do the surround around the shifter.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm a pretty patient person to begin with, but I wouldn't say I have a steady hand. Just have to take it slow.

These are the finished product, on the climate control I did remove the electronics which makes it quite a bit easier. You don't have to cut any perfect lines or anything.

I used 3M DI-NOC carbon fiber wrap, the stuff is amazing. You just heat it up with a hair dryer and it turns pliable so you can mold it around edges.. When it cools down it hardens almost like real carbon fiber.
DI-NOC was my guess. That stuff is awesome. Definitely need to play around with it. Yours looks great!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts