Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been running Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 in my Focus's for the past 10 years with no problems. The new ST takes 5W-30. Which is the same as my Mustang which I'm in the process of changing from Synthetic Blend to full Synthetic. My brother swears by Mobile1 Full Synthetic. But I don't exactly trust his opinions. I haven't had any issues with Motorcraft oil on my other vehicles and don't see a huge reason to change that. So I was wondering what everyone else was planning on running as far as brand goes and if they were going to run a Synth-Blend or a Full Synthetic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic in my F-150 for 10 years. Also used it in my wife's previous Mazda 6 for 7 years, and now in her new Mazda 6 for the past year. No issues to report.
And it's available at Wal-Mart for a reasonable price.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
So I've been running Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 in my Focus's for the past 10 years with no problems. The new ST takes 5W-30.
Funny, the non ST Focus and just about everything else in the Ford fleet runs on 5W-20.

I've been using Castrol Synthetic in everything I own for the past 10 years. No complaints at all. Can finally walk into the parts store and buy in a five quart size right off the shelf.

Did anyone else notice that the ST takes nearly six quarts of oil at oil change?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I saw that, 5.7 quarts, gonna make oil changes annoying. I'll usually buy the 5-quart jugs of oil so I'll probably keep two. I'd like to run the same kind of oil in both the Mustang and the Focus but I find it hard to believe that the same 5W-30 that a 19 year old 302 runs is good for a new 2.0L Turbo motor.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've been very happy with Mobil oils. I've been running the Turbo Diesel Truck oil in my VW TDI for the last 150,000 miles without any issues. The TDI community is obsessed with oil quality, and the Mobil TDT gets great results from oil analysis. I would expect the regular Mobil One would be equally high quality.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I like castrol. But I go dealer for oil changes. I might ask for full synth if it's not too much more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've found that on quite a few turbocharged platforms shell Rotella t6 5w-40 is used. UOA's on it look fantastic. It's a diesel oil...but because so it resists shearing and fuel dilution very well. Also additives stick around for awhile. I love it.

When you guys take deliveries start a used oil analysis thread. Data is the best indicator.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I take 1 quart Royal Purple, 1 quart Valvoline, 1 quart Mobil 1, 1.7 quarts of Redline. and 1 quart of Amsoil. With that secret formula, my engine should be able to hanle a dupleted uranium round to the block w/o loss of power. :smug:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Royal Purple 5w-30. Been running RP for almost 20 years on every vehicle I've owned. Was using them when they were a small start up company in Humble/Porter area. Typically go about 7500 miles between intervals depending on abuse, and use K&N oil filters. You're going to get 50 opinions on the subject. Some say Mobile 1, RP, Amsoil etc. Are roughly the same. Some say some are great while others are crap. There are plenty of third party reviews out there on the web that break down the advantages of each. In the end I guess it's what you were raised on and grew up with. Kinda like political affiliations. Just my. 02

·
Registered
354 Posts
FWIW, I use what ever synthetic is on sale when it's time to buy oil but mostly it has been Mobil 1 but I just changed the oil in our 12 Focus and used Valvoline synthetic.

I have owned turbo Mopars continuously since May 1985 and have racked 675,000 miles on 4 cars using whatever is on sale synthetic changed changed on 7500 mile intervals. I also use whatever is on sale oil filters mostly Motorcraft(Purolator) over the past 10 years. I have never had to replace a turbo or wore out a motor (the cars were replaced for other reasons).

·
Registered
685 Posts
Another for Mobil 1 full synth. I run it in our cars, and our motorcycles. My TA, which has 130K on the clock with most of it city driving, doesn't burn/use oil between changes. The very first car I've had at that mileage that didn't burn/use oil. Neither does my Harley, with 60K (motorcycles engines age about about 2x the rate of cars). Neither did my wife's two former Harleys (she sold them recently, both with 60K on the odometer).

I think full synth is always a good idea, but especially in a turbo engine, where the oil gets heated more than normal.

I used to use Royal Purple, but I didn't feel it held up as long as the Mobil 1, and was generally a hassle to find.

I generally change oil at 5,000 miles, even if I can go 7,500. I live close to the ocean, and I think it leads to increased water contamination of the oil through condensation. Probably true anywhere it's really humid too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
wow, where do I begin? What a can of worms..........
I have installed and removed motor oil and filters in somewhere between 750,000 and 1,000,000 vehicles over the past 27 years, tell BOB to call me......
Then simply answer the question; which oil/filter combination would YOU run in a Focus ST?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Then simply answer the question; which oil/filter combination would YOU run in a Focus ST?
I plan on running a Group III or higher Synthetic 5w30 motor oil( ILSAC GF-5) with a Wix or Napa gold or equivelant oil filter. Changed every 3000 miles, mainly due to the anticipated fuel dilution from the direct injection......

1 - 20 of 104 Posts